Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CashisKing;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend treated you acceptably and you and those you care for are well.

While I am not a tire expert by any stretch, at one point in my working life I did look after maintenance for a fleet of vehicles owned by a local construction and excavation company. There's been a few other tasks done in my working past whereby it was advantageous to have at least a bit of an opinion on such arcane matters as well. wink

All that said then, by all accounts up on this side of the medicine line Nokian winter tires are generally considered the ne plus ultra, with some mentioning Bizzaks as contenders to the throne sometimes.

Speaking personally, we found some winter rims and installed Nokian studded winters on my good wife's '19 Rav4 and I've got to say that on our Okanagan winter roads - let's imagine Canuck curling rinks but with a negative camber and 9% grade - they're really, really impressive. cool

We're a bit of a semi-desert up here locally and the sun is the worst enemy of tires I'd suggest. When I was in the storage business that's what the boat trailer and RV folks had the most tire issues with, that is to say if the tires were subjected to direct sunlight/UV rays or not.

The price is unfathomably low by Canadian tire price standards as well, so kudos for both picking up on the good deal and a sincere tip of the hat for passing it onto your fellow 'Fire folk as well.'

Thanks and all the best to you all this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer is a stupid obese pig that shows up at a party uninvited... and treats everybody at that party like a subordinate slave and if they don't kowtow to his every wish and demand he calls him a dumbass or a troll or crab or a tree branch or an acorn or a blade of grass or whatever the hell he thinks. He's an unwelcome pathetic POS from Texas. I'm going to have fun with him for the next few months just because I can.

The only thing I tried to do in this entire post was to announce to the general population that there are some very good tires at a very reasonable price and of course some dumbass has to stick his nose in the middle of everything and prove some kind of stupidity because his penis is about a quarter inch long I reckon

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
None of it really matters. If you don't want to buy the tires as I've suggested three times previously you probably should not. Nonetheless I'm going to have fun for the next few months screwing around with elkslayer because he's a complete hysterical fool and I enjoy it. Frankly I don't care much about my reputation so I'll just drop in occasionally to harass his stupid ass.

Just another moron from Texas

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elkslayer, feel free to go start your own thread on tire safety. It ain't cool to piss on a man's good-will thread to be an authority on tires.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Elkslayer, feel free to go start your own thread on tire safety. It ain't cool to piss on a man's good-will thread to be an authority on tires.

It's not good to bring the attention of a bad purchase to someone that doesn't know, and might kill them, or their kids or someone else on the road?

LMAO...ok

Only a severely mentally ill person would go off like this, simply because someone reminded people from what was previously discussed last year on tire safety.

I didn't attack this clown, and every person reading this, who has a brain, damn well knows it.

Help is given here, and every day across the internet, and for you and this clown to turn my helpful suggestion into an attack says a whole lot about your mental state.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The second set of 12 tires came in early.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good robust Nokian 123 (3,450 pound rated) tire.

I own three Dodge diesel trucks (2500 and 3500s)... and a bunch of trailers and other service equipment. These are a tough tire and they should handle the West Virginia mountain rock Backcountry very well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wish they had 265/70/16 on sale that cheap.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Just checked for my truck size LT265/70R17 121S they're $212 each. But I'm not in the market right now. From what Walmart shows currently, the Cooper Discover A/T All-season at $136 is a good value.

The Coopers are a great value, IMO.

Yep, they're what I'd buy if I needed some right now. Down the road, who knows?

Here's a pretty good review of the Nokians:

Nokian Rotiiva HT Tire Review & Rating - tirereviewsandmore.com/

I question how well the Nokians operate in mud, which I note, the above review doesn't address. Looks like they're good on wet pavement, snow and gravel, and have a durable compound for long life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great looking hoops, thanks to the OP for the heads up These 10ply tires were a steal,..... looking forward to running these on the truck/camper.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Falken Wildpeak AT3 are another great tire, preferred by many offroaders.

I run them on my off road Jeep and my daily driver / hunting Tundra.

Order them on Amazon, if you have prime. They ship free. Have them installed at a local garage (I use Peerless).

HALF the price of BFG's bought on site, and (IMHO) same or even better quality.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
tag

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a set in April, they're made in Russia

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had never heard of year limit on tires until a couple of years ago. I was at Costco getting my wife’s tires on and couple came in wanting their winter tires mounted and balanced. Costco looked at the tires and told them these are over 10 years old we are not allowed to touch them. Ii had never heard of suck a thing and later asked another tire shop the same thing. They told me most shops will not mount tires older than 10 years old due to the rubber starting to break down and the shop doesn’t want to be held reliable for anything if it did blow. I’m sure a few lawsuits have occurred in the past.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those are pretty highly rated tires actually.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

how are they holding up? too soon to tell?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hudge
I had never heard of year limit on tires until a couple of years ago. I was at Costco getting my wife’s tires on and couple came in wanting their winter tires mounted and balanced. Costco looked at the tires and told them these are over 10 years old we are not allowed to touch them. Ii had never heard of suck a thing and later asked another tire shop the same thing. They told me most shops will not mount tires older than 10 years old due to the rubber starting to break down and the shop doesn’t want to be held reliable for anything if it did blow. I’m sure a few lawsuits have occurred in the past.

Its horseshit IMHO opinion. I worked in tires for a few years. Company had all kinds of wacky rules that in my opinion was just to sell dummies tires. Like mismatched tires on a 4wheel drive on front and back, over 10 years old, this and that. Theres an old school tire store near me that will mount anything you've got for cash. They get all the business the chains wont do cause of "safety rules". I had an old truck with god probably 20 year old e ranges on it. Loaded them for bear all the time, didn't leak a bit of air.

Last edited by k20350; 10/27/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

how are they holding up? too soon to tell?

I won't install them until 2nd week of Nov. They're studded and not freezing until this weekend.Flying out for a deer hunt so will be after that before installed.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a set put on my 2003 Slob-burban yesterday. It's my hunting dog hauler. I love the handling and decent ride of these tires. They're not aggressive tread Jeep road tires, tread design wise, but they climb well up our steep desert roads. I did an hour trail test this morning and am satisfied they will be fine on rough trails.

I need to move the left front to the left rear. The mental giants at Walmart put the only tire that needed somewhat more balancing weights on front. crazy The other three needed very little weight to balance them. BTW, mine have a 2016 date, so I'd be good until 2026. They'll be used up by then if the Slob-burban lasts that long.

I appreciate the heads up! laugh cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.