Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
So the Swede was made by Winchester?

Nope, just marked “Winchester”. All of them are made by Miroku, regardless of the branding. As I’ve said a zillion times or more, the ones sold under the Browning label in the past generally had nice, even stunning wood, while the more recent “Winchesters” are plainer. Regardless, Miroku makes excellent guns. I’d not hesitate to buy any of them. I have two now, probably my fair share. I’ve long wanted a .243, but with three .24 caliber rifles on hand now, that’s probably not happening.

The triggers are just mediocre, but that’s okay given their other charms.

gnoahhh stole that .223 of his at an auction, and should be ashamed of himself, but apparently isn’t at all.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
😁

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Nope, just marked “Winchester”. All of them are made by Miroku, regardless of the branding. As I’ve said a zillion times or more, the ones sold under the Browning label in the past generally had nice, even stunning wood, while the more recent “Winchesters” are plainer. Regardless, Miroku makes excellent guns. I’d not hesitate to buy any of them. I have two now, probably my fair share. I’ve long wanted a .243, but with three .24 caliber rifles on hand now, that’s probably not happening.

gnoahhh stole that .223 of his at an auction, and should be ashamed of himself, but apparently isn’t at all.

Thanks Pappy. I knew all were made by Miroku and should have said branded Winchester. I agree with you regarding the quality of Miroku guns.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks Pappy. I knew all were made by Miroku and should have said branded Winchester. I agree with you regarding the quality of Miroku guns.

Miroku guns may actually be better made than original Winchesters...

And, that's not just my opinion.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Of course. One would be a fool to chamber an original Low Wall in anything hotter than a traditional pistol cartridge or a Hornet. It's all in the metallurgy why a Miroku can manage a .243 today.

Even still, after messing with Low Walls since the 70's and hearing all the admonishments concerning same, it took a pretty big leap of faith to put my cheek on the buttstock of a new one and touch it off.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Of course. One would be a fool to chamber an original Low Wall in anything hotter than a traditional pistol cartridge or a Hornet. It's all in the metallurgy why a Miroku can manage a .243 today.

Even still, after messing with Low Walls since the 70's and hearing all the admonishments concerning same, it took a pretty big leap of faith to put my cheek on the buttstock of a new one and touch it off.

They sold them in .260, 6.5x55, .243, and .22-250. If they had strength issues I suspect someone would have discovered it by now.

I actually know where there's a lovely original High Wall in .30-30, but it's not cheap, and it's set up for iron sights. I'd have to get a custom 1/4 rib made for a scope.

I could, of course, make one into a .270 Ingwe grin

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 10/28/20.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I sold an 1885 Low Wall in 260 Remington about 3 years ago to Blacktail53. I’m pretty sure it was a Miroku/Browning. It was the most beautiful Winchester ever if it wasn’t a Browning.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I sold an 1885 Low Wall in 260 Remington about 3 years ago to Blacktail53. I’m pretty sure it was a Miroku/Browning. It was the most beautiful Winchester ever if it wasn’t a Browning.

I’ve still got her and don’t intend to ever let it go... it’s all Browning, by the way.
It’s got two elk kills to its credit so far, but I don’t hunt it much because I’m kinda rough on guns and want it to stay pristine. It’s the rifle my friends want to look at when they come over or when I’m at the range.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I’ve still got her and don’t intend to ever let it go... it’s all Browning, by the way.
It’s got two elk kills to its credit so far, but I don’t hunt it much because I’m kinda rough on guns and want it to stay pristine. It’s the rifle my friends want to look at when they come over or when I’m at the range.

And it is most certainly worth looking at.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They definitely did not make many of the .260's, and very few of the 6.5x55's!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.