Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have an aluminum ladder stand that I bought some time ago that I want to secure in the woods with a hardened steel government surplus security chain. 1/4" or 3/8". I had one stolen from me before as I thought if I left it out only one night in the boondocks it would be alright. I left the tree when it was dark and came back in the morning when it was dark! Needless to say I learned something especially not to be a moron again.

What lock would be hardest to break. Someone recommended a hidden shackle padlock but I don't know if it would be compatible with a 1/4" or 3/8" chain.

Any advice much appreciated...Thanks, Tree

"an armed society is a polite society"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try to consider vandalism also.
We frequently had issue with someone taking a small sharpened stick,
forcing it into the keyhole, and breaking it off.

On a cable around a tree, to hold a gate, we loosened 2 bolts and could take it to
the shop to work on it.

10 feet up, not able to take it apart, a jammed lock would be a problem.

Went to a cheap Master Lock padlock. No issues in over 10 years.
And it still works! Every few years it gets a couple drops of oil from a dipstick,
But it's been fine out there.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Abloy makes a very tough padlock. But they are $$$.

Last edited by kragman1; 10/21/20.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I guess I would consider how hard is the aluminum to cut to get the chain off.

Click for lock.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Abus or Mul-t-lock (sp)- tough but pricey.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
After watching this guys channel you will see there is no such things as a secure lock. There are only bad lock pickers. LOL

Lock Picking Lawyer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
American makes good locks

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just remember, at some point in upgrading a lock, the chain becomes the weak link.

😲😄.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat
there is no such things as a secure lock.

By locking the thing you are really only deterring casual thieves. Someone who happens by it and just takes that opportunity to grab a stand. For that, virtually any chain and lock that can’t be twisted apart by hand or broken with a rock will work.

People who are setting out to steal stands will more likely be carrying lock picks/rakes/shims than bolt cutters. The latter are lighter, easier to conceal, just as quick if not quicker, and a lot less conspicuous to use. Trying to find a lock that can resist an attack like that is a waste of resources.

A guy can spend $10 on a rake and 15 minutes practicing while watching a YouTube video, and be able to open a literally bulletproof Abloy padlock in 10 seconds.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Battery powered metabo and no lock or chain has a chance, 2 mins and your stand is gone.

Fück Joe byron
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Locks keep honest people honest".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I store stuff that is highly regulated and hazardous. I use American Locks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pick any lock you want. 30 seconds with a cordless angle grinder and .045 cutoff wheel and is all over anyways.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not a $100 plus Assa Abloy, but fantastic for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardware-S828-160-Shrouded-Hardened/dp/B001V5IYT2

Also, get some grade 70 (gold colored) chain. Much harder to cut with bolt cutters...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Or if they want it bad, they just cut the tree.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I left the tree when it was dark and came back in the morning when it was dark! Needless to say I learned something especially not to be a moron again.

That's just sorry. I hate thieves, litterbugs and poachers.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Locks mainly keep honest people honest. I use these to keep them honest.. BRINKS 173-80051 80Mm Stainless Steel Resettable Combination Discus Padlock

Last edited by reivertom; 10/21/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by OldHat
there is no such things as a secure lock.

By locking the thing you are really only deterring casual thieves. Someone who happens by it and just takes that opportunity to grab a stand. For that, virtually any chain and lock that can’t be twisted apart by hand or broken with a rock will work.

I agree. Years ago we had a barn/outbuilding broken into by someone who broke the lock by beating on it. My Dad was a welder and his solution was to fab a heavy metal box over the lock to protect it from future attacks and weld it to the metal door. The box was so small that it was hard to get the dang thing open with a key.......and wasps loved to nest inside the box. But, no one got in for years until an enterprising and patient thief got a small enough bolt cutter or whatever up in it to cut the lock. I really don't know exactly how he made it happen.

Afterwards I was all pissed off and thinking like the OP about getting the mostest baddest assed lock around. Then I realized that the little barn was made of sheet metal and a guy with a cordless drill/impact or heck a socket wrench if he wanted to be quiet could just unscrew the fastners, take a sheet off, walk in and get all the small items he wanted.

I went back to the same kind of lock the thieves cut. Locks are only gonna stop crack and meth heads looking for a quick score......a lot better than nothing but its mighty hard to stop a determined thief.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some of the bicycle locks and chains are pretty good supposedly. Bicycle theft is huge in the cities what with a high end bike going for multiple thousands of dollars. So there is a lot of "field testing" done.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20017112/best-bike-locks/#chain_locks

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I have an aluminum ladder stand that I bought some time ago that I want to secure in the woods with a hardened steel government surplus security chain. 1/4" or 3/8". I had one stolen from me before as I thought if I left it out only one night in the boondocks it would be alright. I left the tree when it was dark and came back in the morning when it was dark! Needless to say I learned something especially not to be a moron again.

What lock would be hardest to break. Someone recommended a hidden shackle padlock but I don't know if it would be compatible with a 1/4" or 3/8" chain.

Any advice much appreciated...Thanks, Tree

This guy knows a thing or two about locks wink

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,307
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.