Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jesus wrapped up the law nicely in what we now know as the Golden Rule.
Yes sir. Jesus’ entire ministry on earth can be summed up in that passage. And He said the Law and the Prophets (the entire Old Testament) can be summed up in that passage as well. That’s it. That’s what it’s all about. The rest is just cheap whiskey.
As it relates to the Bible, define “The rest is just cheap whiskey “.
When Jesus said what He did, there was no “the Bible”. Jesus’ discourse with the Pharisee regarding the greatest commandment...

One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” [Matthew 22:35-40. NIV]

To me, the second commandment is not subordinate to the first but merely second in sequence. “Like it” means ‘just as important’ or ‘equal to’...it means you can’t have the first without the second.

All of the Old Testament (the Law and the Prophets), and all of the New Testament (Jesus entire ministry on earth)...”hang on” loving God, and showing your love for God by loving others. Period. Apostle Paul (who wrote a ‘large’ part of the New Testament) said “the ONLY thing that matters is faith expressing itself through love.”

Read “The History of The Bible “ by Mark Taylor and you may understand where I’m coming from with the simple question that I asked you.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
He endorses same sex unions and wants a civil union law so that they are legally covered.
I think it's a great idea and what should've been done a LONG time ago. If somebody wants to have a legal partner in their life so they can can be covered by family insurance or help make those tough decisions after a life-threatening incident or pass along their inheritance after they pass, they should be able to do so regardless of sexual preference.
Yep.

Some angry and hypocritical ‘Christians’ push more people away from Jesus than Satan himself does.
Yes, yes you do.
Apologizing for sodomy and then gaslighting everyone trying to say you didn't or that somehow the plain teachings of Christ don't mean what they say. Pathetic! Thank God you aren't a leader.

Last edited by Tyrone; 10/25/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read “The History of The Bible “ by Mark Taylor and you may understand where I’m coming from with the simple question that I asked you.
I understood the simple question that you asked; and I provided a simple answer that was quite clear.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I understood the simple question that you asked; and I provided a simple answer that was quite clear.

Okay.
Thanks

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Apologizing for sodomy and then gaslighting everyone trying to say you didn't...
Nebraska posted “I think it's a great idea and what should've been done a LONG time ago. If somebody wants to have a legal partner in their life so they can can be covered by family insurance or help make those tough decisions after a life-threatening incident or pass along their inheritance after they pass, they should be able to do so regardless of sexual preference.” I AGREE WITH WHAT NEBRASKA SAID.
...or that somehow the plain teachings of Christ don't mean what they say.
Cherry-pick much...? Jesus clearly stated what His Greatest Commandments are. They ‘outweigh’ everything else.
Pathetic! Thank God you aren't a leader.
Some ‘Christians’ get very angry when others don’t ‘hate’ like they do.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are the angry one here.

The angry one who has no idea what love means. The angry one who refuses to acknowledge that God wants our worship.

This isn't the first time you've come out in support of sodomy and then made stupid, Hitchens-like references to shellfish, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are the angry one here.
lol
...who has no idea what love means.
still lol
...who refuses to acknowledge that God wants our worship.
smh

He doesn’t want ‘hate’ from His followers.
This isn't the first time you've come out in support of sodomy and then made stupid, Hitchens-like references to shellfish, etc.
I AGREE WITH WHAT NEBRASKA SAID. If ‘you’ believe that’s ‘supporting sodomy’ that’s your prerogative. Whatever you choose to believe is fine with me. Some ‘Christians’ cherry-pick one “abomination” from the Old Testament and use it to justify their hate, and completely ignore or disregard ‘all’ of the other “abominations” in the Old Testament...and when that’s pointed out...they get mad. The Pharisees also got mad when Jesus pointed out their hypocrisy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I AGREE WITH WHAT NEBRASKA SAID. If ‘you’ believe that’s ‘supporting sodomy’ that’s your prerogative. Whatever you choose to believe is fine with me. Some ‘Christians’ cherry-pick one “abomination” from the Old Testament and use it to justify their hate, and completely ignore or disregard ‘all’ of the other “abominations” in the Old Testament...and when that’s pointed out...they get mad. The Pharisees also got mad when Jesus pointed out their hypocrisy.
There you go again! More Hitchens! Nobody ever said that hetero sodomy, theft, etc wasn't bad, but you make gross generalizations and accusations just like that uncharitable Atheist.

BTW, the rest of the Bible isn't fluff - it's the account of previous covenants (testaments, agreements, contracts between God and man), what was required of each party to those covenants, plus teaching on what love is and how God wants to be worshiped. The New Covenant isn't a one-way agreement, it has requirements for worship and behavior too, just like the previous covenants. When Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant (Which was what? About the 4th covenant in the OT?) it simply meant that the laws pertaining to the Jerusalem-based temple worship were fulfilled and that a new set of requirements for worship were put in place. Does "Do this in remembrance of me" ring any bells? Instead of animal sacrifice for the atonement of sins, God put in place the sacrifice of the Eucharist, AKA the Sacrifice of the Mass along with the sacrament of penance, etc. The old, timeless rules of morality are still in place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You practice a ‘religion’...just like the Pharisees practiced a ‘religion’. Rules and regulations. There’s no saving power in the sacraments. The Jewish religious leaders were thoroughly educated, highly trained, and well versed in their ‘religion’. And they practiced a graceless and hypocritical religion. Jesus criticized them for it. This is what happens when championing religious rules and religious regulations becomes more important than the people that these things were designed to serve and benefit. Modern day Pharisees are the same as the Pharisees of Jesus’ day. Following Jesus isn’t a ‘religion’...it’s a way of life. Some angry ‘Christians’ seem to be mad because they can’t burn heretics at the stake nowadays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. Some angry ‘Christians’ are likely sad because they can’t burn heretics at the stake nowadays.

It wasn't until the Vatican council of 1964,
that the RCC proclaimed they no longer
blamed Jews past and present for deicide.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You can't blame the Jews for what was destined to happen, not only destined, but according to the story: planned to happen from the beginning.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Friends,

And then, it's homilies, like this one by Father Ed Meek, that make me proud to be a Roman Catholic. May God Bless you all.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Law...as Jesus and Apostle Paul BOTH said...is no more. It is over. All of it. Period. God’s covenant with Israel was temporary and had a pre-planned end. Jesus said He came to ‘fulfill’ the law...to bring it to a designated end. He didn’t come to abolish - as in destroy - the validity of it...or to undermine the credibility of it...He came to bring it to a pre-planned, designated end. God set a timer when He established His covenant with Israel...and the time had run out. God’s conditional, temporary covenant with Israel was coming to an end...the law was being fulfilled through Jesus.
A lot of rules and practices and rituals and instructions from the Old Testament are no longer practiced, not because they were wrong, but because they were pointing forward to when Jesus would fulfill them...and end them. He didn’t abolish them, He just made them obsolete. If you had a HUGE debt that you owed, and someone came along and paid off your debt, the obligation would be fulfilled...and the burden of fulfilling that obligation would be removed as well. Jesus fulfilled — as in ended — the necessity of the Jewish law. He didn’t abolish the law by fulfilling it...He just made it obsolete by fulfilling it.
Jesus said that nothing in the law would “disappear” until everything was “accomplished.” It ‘was’ accomplished, and then the law began to disappear. Jews throughout the Roman world started abandoning strict adherence to the law to follow the resurrected Jesus. The transition came to an abrupt end on August 6 in AD70. Ancient Judaism ended, signaled by the temple’s destruction...as Jesus predicted. The Old Covenant wasn’t needed anymore...it had been fulfilled and replaced with a new, and better, covenant.
I don’t equate the fulfilled-and-now-obsolete old covenant with Jesus’ New Covenant. At all. God clearly separated the two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
You can't blame the Jews for what was destined to happen, not only destined, but according to the story: planned to happen from the beginning.

Good luck explaining that to Mel Gibson.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s a financial decision. Catholic baptisms are down 34%. Declining membership leads to declining revenue. The pope decided that money is more important than following scripture.

It’s the same reason priests weren’t allowed to marry. In the early days priests came from wealthy families. The Catholic Church didn’t want heirs to take money that would otherwise go to the church.

Last edited by doubletap; 10/25/20.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The words say that Jesus did not come to abolish the law. If it is said that by 'fulfilling' the law he in effect abolished the law, there is a contradiction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the Law were a homework assignment, Jesus was completing it. If the law were a speech, Jesus was concluding it. If the law were a plane, Jesus was landing it. You don’t abolish a homework assignment by completing it; you don’t abolish a speech by concluding it; and you don’t abolish a plane by landing it. When Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law, He was saying God’s conditional, temporary covenant with Israel was coming to an end...the intended-from-the-beginning end. It was completed, it was concluded, it was landed.
“It is finished.” Jesus’ famous last words from the cross. Jesus wasn’t finished...as His disheartened followers would soon discover. But the Law was. In His final moments, He was announcing that the covenant He came to fulfill was at last fulfilled. A New Covenant, a better covenant, a broader covenant was being established...through the shedding of His blood...between God and all who would choose to participate.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spot on! Antlers. (Did your mother name you Antlers?) I'm Richard.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The story is not finished. All has not been fulfilled. The long awaited return of Jesus in power and glory has yet to happen. And if Jesus said that he had not come to abolish the law, the law cannot have been abolished by his life or ministry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*The Law*...as Jesus Himself said, IS finished. I believe Him. When someone can predict His own death and resurrection, and pull it off...I’m gonna go with whatever He says.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,046
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.