Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I watch the classifieds here and stop at quite a few gun-shops. With only a few minor exceptions, when I buy a "new to me" gun, I buy it at a price I know I can shoot it a bit then if it doesn't meet my needs or I tire of it, I can sell it for roughly my purchase price. My "cost of ownership" is whatever I might have to spend buying brass, projectiles, powder, and/or dies I don't already have.

In my case, the only real expense is whatever powder, primers, and projectiles I use. Brass and dies are re-usable and hold some residual value or get saved for the next whim.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
I can churn an awful lot of rifles for the price of a Harley, Hot Rod, or boat.

Rifles, traditional bows, and hunting has been my only hobby for the last 25 years.

This describes me perfectly. I'd throw in fishing and hiking as hobbies that consume time or money.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CRS
I can churn an awful lot of rifles for the price of a Harley, Hot Rod, or boat.

Rifles, traditional bows, and hunting has been my only hobby for the last 25 years.

I HEARD that ! whistle laugh

Indeed a Harley is more than a couple of 'normal' rifles.
*** NOTE *** I got mine from a Friend at a STEAL.....with title. grin grin

Not offended. Humored ! wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t change mine any longer. I shop around for what I want for a rifle with a good action, then I change out the stock, barrel, chambering maybe, trigger rework, and the best scope for my purpose. That mindset has saved me a bunch of money over the years when I realized that I can only use one at a time and it should be as good as I can make it. A really nice one in the hands beats half a dozen junk guns home in the gun safe.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
It’s cheaper than changing wives. LOL

Variety, looks. Versatility, Specific purpose et.al.

Similar to wives. Grin

All bases covered in this thread.....so far.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just traded 3 guns and cash for an AR-15 and 700 rounds of 6.8 so I'm still at it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Glad You didn't shoot yourself. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I don't change rifles, they change owners.

Only own two guns that were purchased new. They like it here.

On THAT note:

Give me a minute or 6 to reflect. <<<<
I have at least 8 Rifles & 1 12ga that go back to
1971 (the earliest) that I bought new.
IIRC (?)
I’ll look closer tomorrow.

My reflector ran out of gas.<<< I'll have to LOOK !

I only found 3 others bought new at DIFF years I still have.

Win 1300 XTR WinCam 12 ga 3"
Win 9422 M, XTR Win Cam
Knight Wolverine SS, 54 Cal Muzzy

ba duh ba duh... that's all folks! LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very Glad You didn't shoot yourself. grin

Jerry

😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Why are folks on this forum always changing their rifle equipment up as frequent as changing underwear? Surely it not because the equipment is worn out. Is it marketing, or just wanting something different? My belongings for the most part are old and I keep them for decades. Im just wondering why folks switch up rifles with such frequency. I notice this amongst the younger bowbunting folks as well. Is it an arms or equipment race? Is there all that much gained by getting rid of an excellent Kimber Montana and getting something else. Im curious about this.

Recently I picked up a used left hand Ruger 30-06 because I simply wanted one and I didn't have a 30-06 sporting rifle. My main hunting rifle remains my Ruger Scout or the Ruger compact 338RCM. Nothing has changes there because I just dont need to change anything. But I was in actual need of an common 30-06 for recreation purpose and its a very common rifle worldwide. Left hand rifles aren't the easiest to come across. Also as I picked up this one I divested myself of a few others that got no use and were sitting around so it was actually not a loss and I'm still down two more than previous for less clutter.

I think most who do this, including myself enjoy shooting more than hunting. It's not that I don't like to hunt because I do, but I love to shoot. Plus I think I am like most here I can't afford to keep everything I want nor do I have the room to store it either.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I try to not sell any gun I buy honestly with exception of pistols. Have traded a time or two Like geedubya said above. Buy them at a discount when you can, you won’t lose money. Rather buy 1 nicer rifle than 3 ruger Americans (personal preference )

Did give my father a Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06 that he always drooled over as a Father’s Day gift couple years back Gave oldest brother a AK47 for his 30th b day 7 years ago

I buy guns because I like shooting and tinkering with them. Don’t ride motorcycles, play golf, gamble, or go to strip clubs so this is my vice per say

When I run out of room in safe I don’t buy another gun till I add another safe to the collection

All 3 of my kids have a Cz452/455 scout 22, glock 19, mossberg youth 20g, a Remington model 7 243, and a ar15 in a safe with there name on it when they grow up. Still want to buy them a full size rifle as well and a safe when they move out

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I left this out earlier.

Because It's F U N to play, load, shoot, & hunt diff rifles & cartridges.

There was a time I could NOT afford but 1 rifle. Wasn't the good ole days.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by aalf

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand........

Use as many words as you like but this is it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why are folks on this forum always changing their rifle equipment up as frequent as changing underwear? Surely it not because the equipment is worn out. Is it marketing, or just wanting something different? My belongings for the most part are old and I keep them for decades. Im just wondering why folks switch up rifles with such frequency. I notice this amongst the younger bowbunting folks as well. Is it an arms or equipment race? Is there all that much gained by getting rid of an excellent Kimber Montana and getting something else. Im curious about this.

Recently I picked up a used left hand Ruger 30-06 because I simply wanted one and I didn't have a 30-06 sporting rifle. My main hunting rifle remains my Ruger Scout or the Ruger compact 338RCM. Nothing has changes there because I just dont need to change anything. But I was in actual need of an common 30-06 for recreation purpose and its a very common rifle worldwide. Left hand rifles aren't the easiest to come across. Also as I picked up this one I divested myself of a few others that got no use and were sitting around so it was actually not a loss and I'm still down two more than previous for less clutter.

Have you ever heard of a Rifle Loonie?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Because I can?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first time I changed rifles was due to losing all my guns in a house fire.
Since then, I just got old and can not take the recoil in my neck and upper back any longer.
My Grandma told me not to get old. Why didn't I listen?

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quoteThere was a time I could NOT afford but 1 rifle. Wasn't the good ole days.
][/quote]

Yep, for quite a few years it was a Ruger 10/22, Winchester Ranger shotgun and a Remington 700 in 270 WCF.

The 10/22 has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. The shotgun has been through everything and shows it. The Remington has a new barrel.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have always preferred WInchester Model 70's and Weatherby's though these days I only have a single Model 70 in 7mm Remington. What I have done, is transitioned to Winchester Model 70 Featherweights, as I like the rifle size, shape, looks and feel and of course, Weatherby Mark V's, as they fit me best for magnum chamberings.
There is also other stuff but that it for other reasons.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I now prefer Model 70 rifles, Benelli shotguns, and the same old 10.22.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I really ask this because I can see maybe upgrading an optic or an accessory if needed but im in my late 40's and have been downsizing what I have because of excessive inventory and if there's something I want I will sell off two to get some thing different and I won't spend more than I sell off. Ive placed this on myself.

I think it came about because I've realized nearly anything I need done is easily done with my Ruger scout rifle and the 338RCM compact rifle, and classic leverguns. I dont really need more but yes I can understand an optic, a binos or something like that. But most of the time I think its an equipment arms race for many. Back when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's I dont remember peoples having much and used to see old winchester lever actions, old surplus bolt actions, and old Savage 99 rifles used by folks who had these items for decades or they were handed down generational. Today it seems different. I think some of it is internet caused and some is pushed by sporting journals and advertising. Anyway, I find the fact that some spend multi thousands annually on this is interesting.

Ain't nothing wrong with downsizing my friend. Who cares about a collection of crap? I want a collection of scars and memories. Spend your time outside doing stuff instead of inside dickin with equipment.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 6mmCreedmoor, AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 15 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,137
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.