Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CC,

Actually, Burris made a dialing version of the FFI 3-9x40 fairly early in the dialing era, with a heavy coil spring at a 45-degree angle to make sure it dialed correctly. I still have mine, and it still dials correctly after a lot of use--despite not weighing 20 ounces. But it apparently failed in the marketplace because so many shooters believed it simply couldn't work, because it didn't weigh 20 ounces.

In fact, it was apparently the same design as the C4+. I know this due to getting a 3-9x40 C4+ 2-3 years ago, which was exactly the same length/weight, etc. The only difference I could tell (aside from the windage-hashmark reticle) was the exposed turrets of the C4+ (which proved to adjust very repeatably (even without being C-clamped to a post), as I proved by shooting it a lot. But again, apparently too few people believed that could happen.

--

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
A ballistic reticle is no harder to use but has so much more to offer that manufacturers would be silly to limit their market by offering plain duplexes
[Linked Image]
Just ignore the hash marks if you don’t like them

Interesting - Zero in Meters.

Can change it to yardage if you want.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/25/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you need more than a standard Duplex to hit a Deer at 300yds. You need to stay home. I to would like to Buy a Burris scope with the standard Duplex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CC,

Actually, Burris made a dialing version of the FFI 3-9x40 fairly early in the dialing era, with a heavy coil spring at a 45-degree angle to make sure it dialed correctly. I still have mine, and it still dials correctly after a lot of use--despite not weighing 20 ounces. But it apparently failed in the marketplace because so many shooters believed it simply couldn't work, because it didn't weigh 20 ounces.

In fact, it was apparently the same design as the C4+. I know this due to getting a 3-9x4o C4+ 2-3 years ago, which was exactly the same length/weight, etc. The only difference I could tell (aside from the windage-hashmark reticle) was the exposed turrets of the C4+ (which proved to adjust very repeatably (even without being C-clamped to a post), as I proved by shooting it a lot. But again, apparently too few people believed that could happen.

--

you're acting as if I am saying burris sucks, is that what you are reading into my comments? its not about people believe what is possible or not. I think, at least myself if a scope is not very expensive is going to have a hard time holding up to extensive dialing. I don't believe burris widely marketed a coil spring setup as being superior, maybe they should have? nightforce markets a cryo treated titanium spring as a feature. I personally think scope company's should market and tout repeatability. In fact I think a company should include a video test of that particular scope passing QC tests and include it in the box the scope comes in. probably wouldn't sell or mean much to many people because all they do is shoot it test it, then wonder why groups wander, spread, zero changes. the wind blows in an unexpected fashion or why the shots are .5 moa off when they shoot to 1000 yards.

maybe the average joe public doesn't really care generally if their scopes track perfectly. maybe they don't even realize its a problem and its only us internet jockey's that seem worried about it. I dunno, the average hunter puts 1 box of shells through his rifle every 4 years. Maybe what we want is not what the marketplace speaks as important, and if it is, nightforce has it covered.

love the mock of the C clamps, I am highly interested in your static testing fixture, you do realize those clamps can and have supported my entire body weight hanging off them? I am interested in your method of determining tracking error down to 1% accuracy. And if my fixture is moving I would be very interested in your explanation for how and why the scope returns to zero ON CAMERA. listen I am teaching something, or you can keep blathering on pimping the brands the advertisers want or acting like you know everything while coming up with non original ideas. .

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used a number of Burris FFII 3-9x40 scopes in recent years. I like the ballistic plex reticle and think they are a real bargain for the price. They are lightweight and reliable, and work well for the type of hunting I do, which is often in open country but rarely involves shots over 400 yards. I imagine there are a lot of other hunters who like scopes with similar qualities.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mathman
4x is plenty for deer at 300.

And a lot of other things.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CC:

I originally posted the following in a different thread; however, you didn't address concerns in regards to the legitimacy of your testing results in that thread, and since you're again assigning relevance to and trying to influence opinions with your "static testing" I'll repost the questions here:

"I think most readers here understand the arithmetic involved in deriving percentages. The issue with your "static testing" results on any scope you opine on being presented as the end product of a scientific process is how can we, or even you, know your equipment and procedures are capable of producing a verifiable and repeatable outcome that measures a number as precise as +/- 1% of 25 moa?

For starters, there's the manner through which your equipment is secured to the static structure. A vigorous turret turn could easily cause enough movement in the C clamps themselves and/or in their connection points to the scope base and the structure to effectuate the appearance of much larger tracking errors than 1%. Likewise with atmospheric or man induced movements in the structure itself during the testing process. Further, there's variables within the scopes themselves that can mimic tracking errors if not accounted for during the testing process that will result in the appearance of greater than 1% tracking errors, while in point of fact, the scope itself is working as it should be.

Perhaps you have accounted for all identifiable variables and, by extension, your testing is valid and I just haven't yet come across the in depth explanations of your tests.

At any rate, this is not to denigrate the scopes in reference; I hope they turn out to be great and all one could ever hope for. The reason I checked out this thread in the first place is research for new purchases. To that end, like most people in the market for something new, I'd like read reports of use and testing that contribute to understanding of the subject matter in a substantive way."

Last edited by Starbuck; 10/25/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Could someone tell me the name of that app/program that the screen shot of the Burris reticle is taken from? Thanks!

Last edited by Blong; 10/26/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Give me a heavy duplex any day.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would just appreciate a fine crosshair myself, in a rimfire model would be icing on the cake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starbuck
CC:

I originally posted the following in a different thread; however, you didn't address concerns in regards to the legitimacy of your testing results in that thread, and since you're again assigning relevance to and trying to influence opinions with your "static testing" I'll repost the questions here:

"I think most readers here understand the arithmetic involved in deriving percentages. The issue with your "static testing" results on any scope you opine on being presented as the end product of a scientific process is how can we, or even you, know your equipment and procedures are capable of producing a verifiable and repeatable outcome that measures a number as precise as +/- 1% of 25 moa?

For starters, there's the manner through which your equipment is secured to the static structure. A vigorous turret turn could easily cause enough movement in the C clamps themselves and/or in their connection points to the scope base and the structure to effectuate the appearance of much larger tracking errors than 1%. Likewise with atmospheric or man induced movements in the structure itself during the testing process. Further, there's variables within the scopes themselves that can mimic tracking errors if not accounted for during the testing process that will result in the appearance of greater than 1% tracking errors, while in point of fact, the scope itself is working as it should be.

Perhaps you have accounted for all identifiable variables and, by extension, your testing is valid and I just haven't yet come across the in depth explanations of your tests.

At any rate, this is not to denigrate the scopes in reference; I hope they turn out to be great and all one could ever hope for. The reason I checked out this thread in the first place is research for new purchases. To that end, like most people in the market for something new, I'd like read reports of use and testing that contribute to understanding of the subject matter in a substantive way."

your questions are valid and well thought out, I will PM you the answers directly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
your questions are valid and well thought out, I will PM you the answers directly.

PM?!?
Post up your reply here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

PM?!?
Post up your reply here.
if he says I can I will.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blong
Could someone tell me the name of that app/program that the screen shot of the Burris reticle is taken from? Thanks!

BURRIS BALLISTIC TOOLS: VERSION 2.4.2

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

PM?!?
Post up your reply here.
if he says I can I will.

If he says you can, they were asked on an open forum, answer them on an open forum, unless you are not confident in your responses, no reason to make them public

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blong

It's from the Burris website. Under Explore.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

PM?!?
Post up your reply here.
if he says I can I will.

Is it a trade secret Starbuck owns?

GMAFB. The questions have been asked before; the potential errors inherent to your “method” have been articulated. Same song, different dance. If you are truly interested in improving your testing, post your answers so that there can be a critical discussion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

PM?!?
Post up your reply here.
if he says I can I will.

Is it a trade secret Starbuck owns?

GMAFB. The questions have been asked before; the potential errors inherent to your “method” have been articulated. Same song, different dance. If you are truly interested in improving your testing, post your answers so that there can be a critical discussion.

do you publish communications you wrote to someone in private, public without their permission? I don't, its improper manners, come on man.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

do you publish communications you wrote to someone in private, public without their permission? I don't, its improper manners, come on man.

The questions were asked on an open forum.
You are the one who *chose* to make it private.
You are being volitionally obtuse.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 10/26/20. Reason: Added quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.