-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Making progress.......when I first read you were going to use 18 gr pellets, I was going to suggest the 14.3 JSB or Crosman Premier.

My .20 shot that CP 14.3 great. You don't need much anything else when you get a supply of those, and your gun likes them.

What the guys said above is correct.......Too heavy or light on pellets, not so good on the gun, or shootability/shot cycle.

Also, yes, a soft towel or in the hand is often best vs off bags using a springer.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not good to make a pellet gun diesel by using something flammable/explosive. The guns aren't made for mini explosion's. When pellets go supersonic, they can float way of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
American Rifleman did a story in the 70s, dieseling can destroy a Spring Piston gun. Pictures of all sorts of damaged parts, quite one where the barrel and cocking lever were separated. I would always avoid it where possible.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah, I'm not doing any deliberate dieseling ( already have .22 rimfires....grin). I swabbed the bore dry to start. There was enough residual oil to give a little puff at the muzzle for a few shots, and the smell. Didn't sound supersonic though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you and enjoy. They don't necessarily produce velocities as stated and you may not want that. I think its a big marketing ploy. A 15 gr. .22 at 800 fps is a lot of smack. A lot of pros actually detune their guns for accuracy. Accuracy is the standard. To me big guns ain't where it's at. Check out the website GTA. You'll learn a lot.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I gather that advertised velocities are very optimistic, and/or using very light alloy pellets that are not known for great accuracy.

I'm happy anywhere in the 750-850 range, give or take. That should make a fairly flat trajectory out to 40-50 yards.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hey guys, forum member colodog sent me a couple sampler packs to run through this gun with.

Total of 10 different pellets from JSB and H&N.

So I figured I would get some chrono data and target results to share here.

As for the target results, I can shoot in the garage to about 13 yards, with no wind. Or I can go outdoors and stretch it out. I'm leaning toward the 13 yard indoors for testing, just to eliminate wind from the variables. What do you guys think? Would 13 yard target results be worthwhile? Then I could try the better pellets outdoors on a calmer day.

Shane

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the parallax is workable at the 13 yards distance, sure, I'm curious how they compare and it'll give you some more trigger time!
Are you going to shoot the Crosman pellets as a baseline to compare to?
It's fun to see what folks are doing when not hunting.
The report on your new rifle and learning to get the most from it might get someone else to catch the bug too!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Parallax should work. I've got a Hawke 3-12x44 SF. The parallax goes down below 10 yards, looks like 7 or so.

Yes I'll shoot the Crosman 14.3 as a baseline.

So I'll set up an indoor range at 13 yards. I had to order a lithium 9V battery for the chrono, so there might be a delay on that info, that will be an outdoors thing anyways, for the light..

Also, I pulled the iron sights off the gun. The rear sight was loose after every session, so I just pulled it, and the front sight. Then, I ordered a Air Venturi Crow Mag brake to put on the barrel. Looks like it is about 5 ounces that might help dampen harmonics a tad, and make a decent handle for cocking. It should be here Friday or Saturday, and then I'll get started.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I gather that advertised velocities are very optimistic, and/or using very light alloy pellets that are not known for great accuracy.

I'm happy anywhere in the 750-850 range, give or take. That should make a fairly flat trajectory out to 40-50 yards.

Yes regarding specs using lighter pellets. Marketing...

T11 makes a great point about weight. Had a friend who was big into air guns and he had a few larger heavier guns ie Beeman and Air Arms that were very heavy - gun weight and cocking force.later he got heavy into pre-charged. That said I’ve had good results using 177s anywhere from 675-900. 20 and 22 at 670-750 all with standard pellets. 8gr and 14.3

My R9 with 4x reached way further than many might imagine with 14.3 around 670. So your speeds will definitely give you plenty distance.

Those speeds are in a good range for any caliber spring air rifle for a balance of performance. Weight. And cocking force. The lighter the cocking the more practice - and fun you have.

Enjoy!

Last edited by 65BR; 11/13/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot quite a bit at 10 yards in my basement. With my R7 after putting 10 shots into a hole about the size of a .22 pellet I shot a ring around the target until it plopped out like a donut. Spring air rifles can be remarkably accurate when shot indoors (no wind). I have Nikon 3-9x40EFR scopes on both of my springgers. Wonderful scopes that have held up well. Nice spring air rifles are the fountain of youth.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R7 is a GREAT rifle for short ranges..........light, easy to cock, very accurate. So you are using yours with the Nikon? What model? Monarch or ?

Thanks.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Tested the JSB pellets on hand today. 13 yards, indoors. Crosman 14.3gr HP as a baseline, as that is what I've been shooting mostly.

The Crosman 14.3gr and the JSB Hades 15.89gr were clearly the best.

Keep in mind I'm new to break-barrel air guns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nicely done, you're shooting just fine.
It's a relief to figure out what shoots well in YOUR rifle so when you miss a shot, it's just a miss and you're not wondering if the gear let you down.
My 22s like the Hades, the Crosman and one loves the JSB lightweight non lead but I'm trying to simplify a bit.
The H&N didn't shoot well in my rifles but you'll never know till you try!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Not good to make a pellet gun diesel by using something flammable/explosive. The guns aren't made for mini explosion's. When pellets go supersonic, they can float way of course.

I remember reading, some 30 or so years ago one of the German makers actually made a diesel gun, a spring air model that had a tiny injector that injected some ether in the cylinder to ignite and create more pressure and felocity. If I remember correctly it created enough pressure that it actually re cocked the piston upon firing.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Tested the pellets from the H&N sampler. 13 yards, indoors. None of them really shined, but here is what it looks like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you find a pellet it likes, you can settle in with it........I did with Premiers - the lite 7.9 in a R7, the standard weight in R9 and FWB124, the 14.3 in the R9 .20.

JSB's are often very accurate for many, testing is key. After a few hundred shots, it should be more consistent and broken in You are getting some good results.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Did some 40 yard zero refinement this afternoon. Light breeze around 5 mph.

Top right target was where I finished up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't ya just love it when your rifle shoots the easy to find pellets the best!

I put a sticker on the scope or stock, to remind me of holdover/under at distance.

A couple pop cans full of water or an old potato or two make fun practice on life size targets!

How are you liking the setup so far?

Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm liking it a lot. Yeah it's nice that it shoots the Crosman so well.

I ran a ballistic drop chart on this setup, with the 40 yard zero, it should be within 1" out to about 45 yards.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 11/18/20.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.