Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have no how to advice, but will tell you wife does and it's delicious, a quick hot meal in the dead on winter is only a dumping of a pint or quart jar through a metal wire strainer, throwing in a skillet, adding some homemade vinegar bbq sauce or a shot of A1, heat up, dump in a bowl on top of a big slice of toasted wheat bread, cover with another slice of toast, get fork and three cold beers, consume, build fire in stove, and have a restful warm evening. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EDIT: I now have a pressure cooker but for years just used a water bath canner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got into canning venison while I was sent home from work in the spring-- sit around all day and eventually you'll start playing with your meat.

Here's how I did it:

Adventures in Canned Venison

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to take the bones......especially the scapula front leg, and make a bone/vegetable broth with a raspberry mead reduction to add to the meat before canning. I used to brown first, but I think it is less dried out on the edges if cooked / canned raw. I also ain't to worried about sinew.....it's got good nutrients to digest.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i debone and de-fat the meat and cut into 1" chunks, put a bullion cube and clove of garlic in each pint and pack to the rim with meat. process according to the Ball Blue Book of Canning, i think its 15lbs for an hour but don't quote me, read the book. then pull them, let them cool and put away. i will say this, it makes the meat look sort of like dog food so it is not the most appealing looking stuff to use but is very good and lasts a long time. its good for chili, stew, stroganoff, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had canned moose in college that my grandparents sent with me to school. The lid had rust on it but was still sealed. We ate it and it was delicious, I later found out that had been canned before I was born. It keeps for a long time. I've eaten it right out of the jar before. On an antelope hunt to Wyoming with a friend we brought along a flat of canned venison and two bags of potatoes.
Cooked the potatoes, dumped jar into them, stir and eat with a little salt and pepper. It was pretty good.

One of our favorite meals is just dump a jar into the skillet, water and all. Throw in some sliced peppers and onions and a little taco seasoning. Eat on a tortilla with sour cream and cheese, lettuce, salsa etc. Whatever you feel like. Kind of a taco fajita thing and it's dang good and super fast to make

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

We canned venison for years when I grew up, IIRC we put a chunk of beef suit in each can to help flavor it.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I skimmed this so I may have missed it, but am I the only one that used actual canning salt?

I agree with the comments on wide mouth jars, jar tongs are great too. I've canned on glass top electric and it took for ever to get to temo/pressure. Gas is much better imo. We follow instructions from the ball blue book. They do a nice job in the book of explaining the possible problems and explaining how it works, why it works etc. We use canning salt and not much more, sometimes a little diced oniin and green pepper.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've used canning salt if we run out of bullion cubes, but pretty sparingly. I'd say around 1/2 tsp or less. It works just fine. I kinda want to get creative on a batch this winter and try different seasonings. The garlic clove sounds like something that would be good. I might try some burger this year as well. I've heard canning burger raw leads to a solid meat loaf block in the jar where if you prebrown it it'll stay loose. I'm going to try both ways and see which we prefer. I might try a pint sized meatloaf and see how that works too. I wish the quarts didn't have that little shoulder because a bigger loaf would be preferred. Fun way to experiment with anyway.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am the only person I know locally who cans venison, interesting to me that others also enjoy it. I have little to add that hasn't already been said but will emphasize that canning takes shank meat and other less desirable cuts and turns it into the best meat ever for burritos etc. we trim ours well but a little silver skin etc. more or less dissolves into gelatin.

I put 1/2 an onion in my cans in addition to bullion and sometimes a jalapeño, the vegetables do cook away to next to nothing but add flavor that is appreciated especially if eating straight from the jar as on a camping trip.

Also, a moderate size whitetail buck minus the loins is exactly 21 quarts.

These are the pressure cookers we use, they are the bomb (literally). https://www.everythingkitchens.com/...u0LnQ7AIVvvzjBx0SzgSqEAQYASABEgJU8vD_BwE

Last edited by tcp; 10/25/20.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i think i am going to try this, i lost some deer meat this year when a freezer went out

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's the best way to put up venison, imo. A little more work up front, but worth it.

Something clever here.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A great way to preserve any venison. Easy to do. I just pack wide mouth pint jars with cubed meat, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and pressure can for 75 minutes.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can a bunch of neck and lower leg cuts every year. I usually just put a little coarse ground black pepper and a dash of canning salt. I did do some with fire roasted Hatch chilies but haven’t eaten them yet. I have tried numerous seasonings such as Taco seasoning and BBQ seasoning and find them to fade out on the trip through the canner. Much better IMO to apply your desired flavoring after opening.

I end up giving a bunch to my grandparents, they’re in their late 80’s and appreciate the simplicity of opening a quart and having more or less instant meals. Grandad’s favorite is to make a baked potato in the microwave and split it open and butter it. Then open a can of meat and dump it over the potato and microwave again for 30 seconds or so to heat the meat.

I also take half pints and eat them cold out in the field when on hunting trips. Few shakes of your favorite hot sauce and eat it over seasoned crackers, meal fit for a king.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
I can a bunch of neck and lower leg cuts every year. I usually just put a little coarse ground black pepper and a dash of canning salt. I did do some with fire roasted Hatch chilies but haven’t eaten them yet. I have tried numerous seasonings such as Taco seasoning and BBQ seasoning and find them to fade out on the trip through the canner. Much better IMO to apply your desired flavoring after opening.

I end up giving a bunch to my grandparents, they’re in their late 80’s and appreciate the simplicity of opening a quart and having more or less instant meals. Grandad’s favorite is to make a baked potato in the microwave and split it open and butter it. Then open a can of meat and dump it over the potato and microwave again for 30 seconds or so to heat the meat.

I also take half pints and eat them cold out in the field when on hunting trips. Few shakes of your favorite hot sauce and eat it over seasoned crackers, meal fit for a king.

Absolutely!

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to can deer, beef too.

I got sick one night after we had it for supper,no one else did so it wasn't what we ate,
And really don't like it anymore.

Anyway, I agree with Colorado it is the one time that trimming silverskin and fat isn't
a big deal. The tough gets tender, skim the fat when you open.

We just use canning salt.
Why use bullion to make it taste different?
People add all kind of stuff, and that's fine it's theirs.

For us, this wasn't 7 jars to say we did it. It was our food for the year.
Keep it simple, and then you can use it anywhere.
Add broth, make gravy, serve over potatoes or rice.
Use it in a sauce for pasta.
Just flour the pieces and fry it. (Great sandwiches with ketchup and onion)
All the juice, bullion and water if necessary, add egg noodles. (Mom's version of takeout)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dillonbuck you aren’t the first guy I’ve seen recommend to Floyd and fry the pieces when you open a jar. Am I running mine too long in the canner, every jar I’ve ever done the finished product was so tender it would be impossible to flour and fry the chunks? They literally can be smashed with a fork, reminds me of pot roast in texture.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont know how soft your's is, but its pretty tender.
You have to be gentle, and some will still fall apart.

For Sammie, I would put it on my plate and smash it with a fork, then to the bread.

It's a Pa German thing.
If it's meat, we flour and fry it. I never ate deer steak or pork chops fixed any other
way until I started driving truck long haul.

Well, we do eat roasts and sausages too.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I use a Cabela's brand camp stove and have diffuser plates for it so the flame doesn't go directly onto the canner, this will ruin it otherwise.
I have a camp chef stove, but no plates. Would you suggest using the griddle on it to keep the flame off? This would only be used if the wife kicks me out of the kitchen and using our gas stove...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would probably work if you got good contact between the flat surfaces. The only way to know is to try it. Downside is if it doesn't work you're kinda screwed. The camp chef flame tamer plates are relatively inexpensive though at around 12 bucks a piece. They weren't available when I needed mine so I had a metal shop make them for about double that or a little more even. But I needed them so I just got them.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 11 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.