Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
We (family) love it. All of our bears are shot on the farm we deer hunt on. We would rather eat a bear roast over a whitetail deer roast any day. Makes great sausage too. After 9 bears we have not schit worms yet. We do not eat bear meat rare.

If we didn't eat them we wouldn't kill them. Very cool animals.

Same here !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fall bear is excellent

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have eaten B B meat 2 or 3 Xs and it was delicious.

It was a N Arkansas bear and the meat was trimmed of ALL fat and boiled BEFORE cooking to make certain it was
safe to eat.

Being a N Arkansas bear it's diet was pretty good - except - possibly for carrion?

The meat was fried on 1 occasion like steak. Being boiled it was tender & tasted good.
It was BBQd on 1 occasion and I'd eat it any time.
Don't remember the 3rd X or if there was a 3rd.

I'd sure kill one and process it properly when I have an opportunity.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have only had bear meat once, and it was good. A few years ago friend shot a black bear during archery season here in NJ. It weighed 679.5 lbs field dressed on a digital scale. We had a game feast, and the bear was part of the feast.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We like to slice it thin and make stir fry with snow peas and broccoli. The bear meat kinda renders it’s own grease and being thin sliced helps with the chewiness.

I’ve eaten spring and fall bears and both have been good. I have taken care not to eat any that were killed on fish or gutpiles. Even ate a couple fall grizzlies killed in the berries, they were very good.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
2001 or there abouts... Fall yearling black bear... taken out with a 31,500,000 grain projectile traveling 62 mph... cooked up in a typical stew recipe with veggies and taters. delicious.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Twice, first and last times.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have eaten black bear meat from various places, and as many have said already the taste depends on what they've been eating recently.

Here in southwestern Montana they taste very good when they first come out of the den and are eating new grass other fresh veggies. When they've recovered some strength they can get into winter-killed, rotten game and then aren't very good.

Same sort of deal in the fall: If taken early, when their main food is berries, they're excellent. In fact have cooked steaks from a 3-year-old choke-cherry fed bear in the same pan as cow elk steaks, and most people couldn't tell the difference.

Have also "tried" meat from bears which have been eating winter-killed cattle and gut-piles from fall big game. Definitely not so good....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We have eaten black bear meat from various places, and as many have said already the taste depends on what they've been eating recently.

Here in southwestern Montana they taste very good when they first come out of the den and are eating new grass other fresh veggies. When they've recovered some strength they can get into winter-killed, rotten game and then aren't very good.

Same sort of deal in the fall: If taken early, when their main food is berries, they're excellent. In fact have cooked steaks from a 3-year-old choke-cherry fed bear in the same pan as cow elk steaks, and most people couldn't tell the difference.

Have also "tried" meat from bears which have been eating winter-killed cattle and gut-piles from fall big game. Definitely not so good....

John, I used Eileen's recipe for pastrami using a Bear roast. It was fantastic, but once again, all our Bears come from farm habitat

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I have never had black bear but my uncle said it taste like friendly dog. I didn’t ask anymore questions.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What about the fat? Been hunting in bear territory now for 6 years with no success but did hit a nice one with the Tahoe couple of weeks ago so maybe my luck’s changing. So just in case can you grind meat with the fat or no? Same for the roasts & steaks. Even hear the fat rendered to lard is good to bake with. Edgeykate me.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get rid of the fat.
Period.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rendered fat makes pure snowy white lard, good stuff. That said I always trim all the fat off any wild game, way less chance of gamey flavors that way IME.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I ate some bear sausage that was ok. Never tried eating bear any other way and sounds like I don't want to. We usually bear hunt within 5 miles of the dump and run them with dogs till they tree, hole up or decide to fight the dogs.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just the other day processed my 460 lb. bear fat on the back was 4" thick....100 lbs of fat too render for lard....boiled the bones 12 quarts of broth....32 quarts of canned meat....40 -1.5 lb tubes 100% bear burger....10 roasts....20- packages of filets 3/4" thick 4 to a package...

Wife and I would rather eat bear than dry corn feed deer.....a little fat in the meat helps cooking and does't hurt the favor but improves it....

I bait with sweets and grains used 1200 lbs in the 30 days of baiting....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skitish
I have taken Spring bear and Fall bear. Spring bear is to be avoided. They come out of hibernation and it takes some time for the toxins to work out of their system. Saskatchewan Fall bear was the best. The hams are like a slightly more fatty pork. The backstrap and tenderloins are very very good. Big boar are not as good as the younger boar or a sow. I have never eaten the heart or liver, the Cree I hunt with warned me off the organs, they did not elaborate except to say wasting disease could occur. Trim all the fat off the meat you can before cooking. When cooking make sure the meat can drain as it cooks. Make sure when processing the meat in the field to clean the blood off the meat thoroughly and as soon as possible. If you make jerky out of the meat it is very good but chewy. If you plan to keep the pelt flesh it thoroughly and keep it as cool as possible until it can be tanned.

You almost sound like you're cooking a racoon.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only had fall black bear meat from Michigan. My family and I prefer it to venison.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by skitish
I have taken Spring bear and Fall bear. Spring bear is to be avoided. They come out of hibernation and it takes some time for the toxins to work out of their system. Saskatchewan Fall bear was the best. The hams are like a slightly more fatty pork. The backstrap and tenderloins are very very good. Big boar are not as good as the younger boar or a sow. I have never eaten the heart or liver, the Cree I hunt with warned me off the organs, they did not elaborate except to say wasting disease could occur. Trim all the fat off the meat you can before cooking. When cooking make sure the meat can drain as it cooks. Make sure when processing the meat in the field to clean the blood off the meat thoroughly and as soon as possible. If you make jerky out of the meat it is very good but chewy. If you plan to keep the pelt flesh it thoroughly and keep it as cool as possible until it can be tanned.

You almost sound like you're cooking a racoon.

That's funny! I've always said a bear is just a big racoon with no tail.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
As long as they weren't eating what I suspect is winter kill or gut piles, I've always liked it.
The few bad ones I have had reeked of eating something nasty....sure as hell wasn't berries or grass.

Or fish. The last bear meat I had was from northern Idaho, on an elk hunt. It was meat, with no flavor to it.

For me, black bear meat has many other game animals ahead of it for preference.

Originally Posted by DANNYL
There's better things to eat,it's doable but not a big fan of it.

This .

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had bbq'ed fall bear chops off the grill when I was on the VFD in NE PA. Everybody that ate them was wishing for more... Like most game meat, proper field care and preparation go a long way toward ensuring palatability...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.