-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Fish and as always great story and great pictures.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Awesome story Leighton.....thank you for sharing it with us!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well done, Leighton!

Congrats!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, it’s a good thing everybody likes tuna 🙂

Congrats 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Beyond fantastic! Congrats!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fantastic story! Thank you for typing that all up!

Bill

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Leighton,

One of these days an EPA Toxic Waste Squad is going to show up and confiscate that Hat!

Thanks for taking us with you!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leighton;

Great story, but as usual, the preparation & food pics are outstanding.

Jealous, man !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
just think if we hadn't seen petey trying to bury that hat.

Yep, stole Ye Olde Lucky Hat and tried to bury it on the beach at the PINS. That damned dog was trouble from the get-go!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steve
Wow, great story. Congrats. What do you do with the ribs and carcass or is it just waste?

There is very little waste with these fish. The spoon is used to scrape the tender bits of meat from the ribs--the meat just slides right off with very little effort and is typically used in maki (rolls) or just as little bits of sashimi. When the scraping process is done the rack comes out as clean as a whistle and is then discarded. Only the ribs/rack, skin, tail and guts get tossed. Even the heads have lots of wonderful meat. Behind the removed head there are two 'cones' of meat to be had with a little knife work. Then there are the cheeks and as Capt. Craig pointed out, the collar, or 'Kama', as it's called in Japan, is just wonderful grilled. Maguro (tuna) kama and hamachi kama are my favorites. I'd post a pic but crappy PB is down again.

Thanks for all the nice comments, y'all. Life's supposed to be fun, right?

CFT: last week's fish was larger than the one in my avatar, which if I recall correctly was 59" and around 150 lbs.

Wash the hat? WHAT? Sacrilege! When you wash a lucky hat or other garment you wash the luck right out of it. Everyone knows that and would be a big mistake! Preposterous? Yep. But that thing's not getting washed. Ever.

wink

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up and the pictures are outstanding! Tuna is a favorite of mine but I've only had Ahi/Yellowfin - it sounds like Bluefin can get considerably larger. As to tablefare - how do they compare?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like was already stated, you raise the bar with each adventure. Thanks once again for sharing.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JGray
I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up and the pictures are outstanding! Tuna is a favorite of mine but I've only had Ahi/Yellowfin - it sounds like Bluefin can get considerably larger. As to tablefare - how do they compare?

Giant bluefin over 1000 lbs are fairly regularly caught around here and points north well into Canadian waters. I know of two granders and heard of a third that was caught this commercial season in local waters. Here's the 40 year old world record: can you imagine hooking into this?

https://www.marlinmag.com/bluefin-tuna-record-revisiting-history/

We have a robust yellowfin fishery here too, but mostly well offshore. They're rarely taken in the bay, where lots of bluefin are often found. The YFT can grow to very large size, relatively speaking and in general, but I don't know that they get much larger than 500 pounds anywhere in the world, and I'm pretty sure those that do grow to that size are considered to be true monsters. All the truly large ones I've seen have come from Pacific waters. I've never seen any really large YFT taken out this way, but the nice thing here is that we have so many flavors of tuna. We have albacore, skipjack, big eye, yellowfin and bluefin in our waters. We also have false albacore and bonito. They are definitely not all created equal. False albacore are all but inedible. Bonito are spunky fighters and good on the table but a big one is 15 pounds. Both commercially and recreationally, bluefin, bigeye and yellowfin are the real prizes.

As far as table fare, YFT is much leaner than BFT, and is mostly pink fleshed throughout, whereas BFT has the ruby red on top and the marbled pink to creamy white belly cuts underneath. In Japan there are classes of BFT belly meat. Toro, Chu-toro and o-toro, from fatty to superfatty. I enjoy YFT raw and cooked very much for sure, but in my opinion, the BFT is and always will be king both as far as sport, and on the table.

Thanks again for the comments, gents.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,615
Posts18,473,942
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.