Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Don’t know that I’ve been followed, but had some that wouldn’t leave or would ‘guard’ a downed one. Did get startled awake from a mid day nap on the mountain, by a doe chewing on my sweatshirt hood.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Don’t know that I’ve been followed, but had some that wouldn’t leave or would ‘guard’ a downed one. Did get startled awake from a mid day nap on the mountain, by a doe chewing on my sweatshirt hood.

grin grin

interesting. I/we have had Doe s come investigat us as a group of hunters @ noon IN the woods on lunch
bull session. When we noticed them....they left post haste laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is "Grace" - she seems to enjoy the company of humans. I bump into her often while I'm walking at a nearby city park. She sometimes tags along with me for a while. I've never fed her, don't think she's after food. Just seems to like company.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Friend of mine decided she needed a name, and called her Grace. Fair enough. smile

Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My cousins husband and I were hunting spike only tags in a relatively remote unit (Wenaha). He had been a governmenmt trapper and predator control agent all his adult life Douglas County and for the Feds) as was his father.
He hadn't hunted East much before so the Whitetail deer were interesting to him and he would fool with heir scrapes and rubs.
It was getting late and we had staked out a secluded meadow to sit on until dark. Right away this three point whitetail shows up and won't leave him alone. It follows him all around that meadow and has him laughing out loud, The buck was still at it when we walked out to the pickup in the moonlight. He came down with MS right at that time and it is the last time we got to hunt together.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lots of times by the same deer

Had a young buck that lived on the farm I lived and worked on for 5 years. He was alone when we first met as a fawn. Still had spots but never was seen with a doe.

I had a pot bellied pig named Walter (farm owner/god mother gave to me to raise inside the house), and a dog named kami that he became buddies with. We named him uno as he only grew a antler on the left side. There was no nub or anything on the right. No obvious damage. He just never grew it. He would follow me and the dog everywhere we went. Wether by foot, tractor, or truck If you let the pig out he would come to play.

No hunting was allowed on the farm except coyote. He was shot in the front leg by someone hunting neighboring farm who was a guest and didn’t know he was basically tame. It wasn’t their fault, they honestly didn’t know.

When I found out the next morning I went outside and called for him. He came to me struggling( 3 years old at this point). Vet refused to treat him for us( fuggng jerk) I did my best to save him but in the end I had to put him down. Only animal I ever shot that made me cry. Even during the rut he was very docile. Buried him next to his pear tree

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It is pretty surprising how well a deer can get along with a bad front leg. The resident 10 pointer was in the yard again last night and he is the picture of health despite having a dislocated knee joint that he won’t put any weight on. It pains me to see him limp around, but he is in fine shape otherwise.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. I killed a dandy in the late muzzle loader so as on in south west Iowa and had to wade back through the snow to my truck to get my sled. I had a deer steal in each one of my tracks on the way out . must have followed me for 4-500 yds

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Windfall
It is pretty surprising how well a deer can get along with a bad front leg. The resident 10 pointer was in the yard again last night and he is the picture of health despite having a dislocated knee joint that he won’t put any weight on. It pains me to see him limp around, but he is in fine shape otherwise.

A friend of mine once killed a monster non-typical old whitetail with a bum front leg. The hoof and a short portion of the leg gone for apparently so long a hard callous had formed over the injury and obviously it got along just fine for years until my friend killed it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
kevin

That was a 'horrible' deal for sure. It shows that animals have an intellect.

I've had dogs, house & hunting, that learned and developed a vocabulary better than some humans I know.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.