Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats Alan... nice buck I'd say...

I came face to face with a 6 pt ( western count) walked up to 20 to 25 yrds to him.. as he just lay their and looking at me..

biggest deer I've seen in my 25 years here in Oregon...old monarch... he just walked around the same way you'd see a lion in a zoo walk around...like nothing in the world could scare him...

So far I could still go out and find him.. close to the house and occasionally in my back yard...

was over real near Fireballs House...the first week of season....saw an awfully big buck over that way also..
just laying on a knoll in the sunshine.. around 4 PM... had to weight 250 lbs +.... another big deer by Oregon standards..

was 50 yds from it on the road...50 yds in the other direction, some guy was mowing his lawn.. and I bet that buck was in his yard where he was laying...but a lot of bucks this year running around...

mowing the lawn on Tuesday, I came across several big piles of Elk scatt in the yard... its early for them to be down from the surrounding hill this early...

best hunting I've seen in years is in the local neighborhood.. filled with CA transplants.. the anti hunting kind....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Very nice black tail! Way to go!

CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 10/30/20. Reason: typo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Congrats Alan... nice buck I'd say...

I came face to face with a 6 pt ( western count) walked up to 20 to 25 yrds to him.. as he just lay their and looking at me..

biggest deer I've seen in my 25 years here in Oregon...old monarch... he just walked around the same way you'd see a lion in a zoo walk around...like nothing in the world could scare him...

So far I could still go out and find him.. close to the house and occasionally in my back yard...

was over real near Fireballs House...the first week of season....saw an awfully big buck over that way also..
just laying on a knoll in the sunshine.. around 4 PM... had to weight 250 lbs +.... another big deer by Oregon standards..

was 50 yds from it on the road...50 yds in the other direction, some guy was mowing his lawn.. and I bet that buck was in his yard where he was laying...but a lot of bucks this year running around...

mowing the lawn on Tuesday, I came across several big piles of Elk scatt in the yard... its early for them to be down from the surrounding hill this early...

best hunting I've seen in years is in the local neighborhood.. filled with CA transplants.. the anti hunting kind....

There's two kinds of blacktails. Mountain deer, wild ones, and yard deer. Last weekend you can hear all the shots ringing out in the valley as people shoot their pets. I'd rather hunt the mountains for one big buck than shoot 100 yard deer.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/31/20.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yard deer is good eating.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Yard deer is good eating.

P

You gots lots of yard deer...:)

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In this case sloppy seconds look pretty good to me, congrats!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a view of some of the country I hunt.
A few steps left of the rifle is a 50’ drop off - to the right up the hill is stupid steep to the ridge top maybe 20 yards up.
Target buck usually shows at the top of the far ridge in the left side corner. That’s 325 yards. My original target buck showed up there on opening day... but the shot never developed and I never laid eyes on him the rest of the season.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
and there are two types of Oregon hunters....( well three types, but I am not including road hunts in their diesel F 250s)...

Those of us that hunt the mountains...

and those of us who have no issues with a 100 yd or less deal....

younger I was the first type... aging... I'm either one... out in the mountains when I have the time and the suburban type when I don't...

Last year it was here in Merlin, this year out near Galice....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
now that's the way to do it!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That’s a cool perch!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice! Congrats!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Seafire, I’ve spent a lotta time in the Galice country ( mostly in a raft or drift boat ) and it’s some of the most inhospitable ground I’ve ever seen! If I had a choice of deer hunting there or being a fisherman, you’d only see me on the water....... my hats off to you guys that take it on 🍺

BT53

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking buck. I may have missed it, but did you shoot him offhand? Sounds like a quick shot type of thing.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Nice looking buck. I may have missed it, but did you shoot him offhand? Sounds like a quick shot type of thing.

A small black oak helped me get steady.
At the shot he simply disappeared and seconds later five or six does blew out of the thicket like quail....

BT53

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Seafire, I’ve spent a lotta time in the Galice country ( mostly in a raft or drift boat ) and it’s some of the most inhospitable ground I’ve ever seen! If I had a choice of deer hunting there or being a fisherman, you’d only see me on the water....... my hats off to you guys that take it on 🍺

I've hunted the Bear Camp country a lot over the years, but the fires cleaned out most of the vegetation in the areas I did best in. Deer numbers are very low in the areas I hunted traditionally up there. For some reason either spraying or naturally, after a fire vegetation in southern Oregon seems to grow up woody scrub brush, not lush vegetation that deer like. Here's a couple of Merlin area bucks from years past.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yea, I’ve been over Bear Camp several times from Foster Bar. I didn’t see any place I wanted to wander off to.....

Those are nice bucks, Fireball 👍. Is that a sack of morels I see with the top pic?

We camp at Almeda for several days in August and float the river with a bunch of family and friends. The fires nearby will hopefully bring in some good deer hunting soon.

BT53

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Those are nice bucks, Fireball 👍. Is that a sack of morels I see with the top pic?

No, just old wood. Like I mentioned deer numbers in the entire area are way down. I hunted there the first two weekends this year and found one area that had a good buck but truly went too many miles with too little sign to stay interested, and it doesn't take much to keep me coming back when there's a good buck involved! LOL

We ran into a work crew up there and stopped to chat. They were spraying all the green new growth "to give the trees a chance to get going". They had a crew out hand spraying what they couldn't get with a helicopter in the tightest ravines. In other words the goal is bare dirt and trees, nothing else. Not much priority given to hunting or wildlife in that kind of "multiple use" management.

BUT, the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife will sell you deer tags all day long and give glowing reports of increased deer numbers every year before season. LOL. Like some of us haven't seen that song and dance before.

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.