Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Traditional geosync sats have 600ms round trip... the new Starlink sats are in extremely low earth orbit, with latency more in the 20-30ms

LoadClear go to this link and look how Viastat did on thier Tests.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-researc.../measuring-fixed-broadband-eighth-report

When you go to the link search for “latency” ( which means delay... we used round trip delay).

I was one of the “industry technical leads” that wrote how to do the standard testing... yes we used round trip delay...
I don’t want to lose folks with long haired tech stuff.. but the key performance indicators are the entire path not just the radio link delay... This test shows the results.

If you read the latency section they talk about applications being impacted by geo satellite based Internet.

I'm EXTREMELY familiar with latency on satellite networks. I've tested several pseudowire TDM CEmOE solutions over satellite on our company owned transponers on Udelsat owned birds. That report you referenced from 2017 is outdated. Those were based on geosynchronous satellites at a35,000 km orbit.

The new generation of Starlink sats are at 550 km orbits... a different animal altogether

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ha.. Kind of the same story on my end - I was a switch tech in the Airforce and had to take care of all the circuits & swith, main frame dumb terminals, and blah, blah,... Because I was an installation crew chief before I started doing regular base comm work I was considered a System integrator...

I think i was eating a tunafish sandwich when that exact same thing happened to me - Somebody can in and said we need a guy who knows compute & network to do X, Y, Z
... Aw hell ... here we go again...

The engineering and Rome labs guys kept pushing me to get out and get my engineering degree so I jumped out.
40 years later I retired from writing the standards on the crap we did way, way back when.

Funny part is the young guys tend to know what they read (or more frequently google), but not where it came from or why- so when it has to be modified.... what do they call it now “fast fail”... LOL

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/29/20.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (10ring1, 160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.