Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am looking for a warm vest to replace the military surplus vest I have used for years. I know this question has been asked previously but I am asking again as am looking for products currently available.

I enjoy the benefits of down but most of my camping and hunting seems to involve cold, wet weather so lean heavily toward favoring a synthetic insulation. I would consider one of the weatherproofed down products.

As an example, Iooked at the KUIU super down vest and thought it would be perfect EXCEPT there is about 3 tablespoons of down in the whole vest. I am sure it would pack into a shot glass and weighs nothing but it clearly does not have enough insulation for my needs, particularly when you factor in what it costs. I am sure that it works great as part of their "clothing system" to sell to guys who like to have their camo match.

Any recommendations are appreciated, I favor durability over ultra light weight and am happy to pay good money for good gear so it does not need to be military surplus but am happy to use inexpensive stuff if it works well.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sitka Kelvin vest? Or Kelvin lite?

If I were you I would look to companies like arcteryx or similar that use primaloft gold insulation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Primaloft insulation for wet conditions where down is not a good idea. It is warm, lightweight, compresses into a small package and dries quickly.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been very happy with a Kryptek Dalabor vest the last two years. Softshell, warm, true to size and didn't cost a big chunk.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heavier weight fleece.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the Patagonia Puffball vests. Been using a blue one for nearly 20yrs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used Columbia fleece for years, recently switched to Woolrich woolen vest with sherpa fleece lining. I am very pleased with this choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to steer you to Nunatak, but looks like Jan is getting out of Apex filled garments and strictly doing down now- he had options where you could fully customize your vest (or jacket) with what weight insulation, inner and out fabrics, length of garment, etc

Enlightened Equipment makes an Apex vest (with or without hood)

I'm also intrigued by Sitka's Active Hoody- not a jacket, not a vest- right in between

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Sitka Kelvin vest? .

I like mine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First Lite Uncompahgre puffy vest?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Patagonia Nano puff (I think they have both down and synthetic versions) and I just got a Columbia down sweater with 800 fill down and silver liner, the down is treated for water resistance. The DWR finish can stand a light misty rain but you would still need a rain layer.

One of my favorite fleece items are those made by Natural gear they are I think 400 weight and thick enough not to need a liner to stop wind. If treated with NikWax it can handle a light drizzle for a little while. The Nat gear fleece is a bargain and I don't worry too much about standing around a campfire with them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MOGC

+1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

This is the one I have and it is SUPER nice. Packs down to VERY small volume for its warming ability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This looks interesting

https://www.sierra.com/arborwear-campbell-hill-primaloft-puffy-vest-insulated-for-men~p~794aj/?filterString=s~mens-primaloft-vest%2F

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Wiggy's sleeping bags have impressed me, and they make vests & liners with the same insulation. Half the price of Sitka, Kuiu, etc.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not synthetic, but a Filson wool Makinaw vest can't be beat.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/30/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by efw

This is the one I have and it is SUPER nice. Packs down to VERY small volume for its warming ability.

Like mine. wear every day in the fall and early winter.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Not synthetic, but a Filson wool Makinaw vest can't be beat.

My favorite.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

BTW, I have an extra one of these in Fusion/Large I would sell. I'm an XL size guy and this large is hanging in the closet unused. Non smoker and Corona free home. $100 shipped USPS PRIORITY. Send me a pm if interested.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,748 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.