Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Crazy rockclimbers. 1200' cliff....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Imgur is for sure easier than using this site's picture loading function. I think they took their phone app away (maybe it is back again???) so a guy needs a real computer to utilize it: not that I could figure the app out anyhow. I get tired of the political adds on Imgur but other than that, it's great.

I didn't do any backpack hunts this year due to taking a transfer to a new state. I did however go on two golden trout adventures in the Wind River Range before I left this summer. I found a lake right at 11 miles in at 11,200 feet MSL that was straight up stupid full of goldens. The hike took about 5,000 vertical up and 2,000 or so vertical down in those 11 miles, but the "beast" as I called it was just a 1/2 mile from the lake, up and over the continental divide. Basically some cliffs with one (semi) safe chute to make it through. We had to climb up from the drainage on the right (in the Pacific drainage), over the divide and down (into the Atlantic drainage).

Another view of the divide 1/2 mile away, to the west.

The reward was worth the suck though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I also went on a tundra adventure off the haul road for Arctic char and grayling....and not the little cheesy stocked char near Fairbanks. These were true, wild char that had never been stocked and had been landlocked in a mosaic of connected tundra ponds since the glaciers retreated. One of these had a PIT tag, so there had been some netting and studies going on but no actual fish stockings as per ADFG.

Sagavanirktok River grayling. Literally every cast would produce grayling like this.

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/06/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I actually got tired of catching fish up there, so I went for a hike on the north side of the Brooks Range. This wasn't too far from Atigun Pass: Probably 10 miles north and 3 miles east, up a drainage out of sight of the haul road.

Earlier and closer to town I came across a lynx that had been killed and partly eaten, easily a mile from a road, so being hit by a car was out of the question. It was kind of spooky.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mooseknuckler
After some high fives with my brother, he decide to walk around the lake to the bull. I was going to walk back to camp to get the boat and waders that I brought. As the boat was pretty suspect he plan was to load the meat into the boat and pull it back to camp along the shoreline.

A week before leaving for the trip I pulled the boat from the woodshed rafters to find it had been attached by a pack rat. Every night that week I was patching holes and the next night I'd pump it up only to find more, progressively smaller in size. The last night i patched the last hole and finished off the tube of seam sealer.
As i was walking back to camp and looked back to where the caribou lay my heart sank. He was on the shore of the lake, but rather an island. I though to my self if this cheap. piece of chit boat doesn't hold air the caribou will lay there and rot. I had only brought the boat to paddle out 20-30 yards to try fishing. I loaded up the boat, pump, life jacket and waders.

I hiked back around to the point where i had shot from. My brother was on the far side of the bay, behind the island where the bull lay. He yelled to me "he's on an island". I yelled back I know, I'll try to come get you.

As i pumped up the boat I was pleased to not hear the familiar hissing sounds. I left my Scarpa boots & rifle on
shore and load up. No bubbles were coming around the boat and it seemed to be holding air - yea! I paddled up to the island and unloaded my pack, then continued on across the bay to get my brother. The boat had a 440lb payload, which I took as more of a guideline than absolute as my brother and I are over that.

After we got the caribou qutered and in game bags I ferried my brother back to shore, then took the meat, full cape, and antlers in 2 more loads. Once back at shore we loaded all the meat, cape and antlers into the boat and I piled in too. It was way over capacity but as it only drafted a few inches of water I just stayed waited deep water close to shore for the paddle back to camp. That way if it blew a patch or a seam I could drag the works to shore.

Good times and great story, thank you! Ya'll got lucky with the rat-boat fix smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I actually got tired of catching fish up there, so I went for a hike on the north side of the Brooks Range. This wasn't too far from Atigun Pass: Probably 10 miles north and 3 miles east, up a drainage out of sight of the haul road.

Earlier and closer to town I came across a lynx that had been killed and partly eaten, easily a mile from a road, so being hit by a car was out of the question. It was kind of spooky.

What a cool adventure! It's really odd that a Lynx got killed and eaten. I wonder if a bigger tom killed him and something else ate him? Pretty pricey way to secure some protein if you ask me. Maybe the victim was not a tom -- do you know?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I didn't do any backpack hunts this year due to taking a transfer to a new state.

Is this your new AO?
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No, but that wet spot is named in honor of my pride and joy, which resides right beneath my bunghole. It is THAT popular with the wimminz.

Don't be jealous.

Bitch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My backpack season wasn’t as good as usual. Tagged 2 animals despite 25+ days of running around.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still keep meaning to put together a story on my elk hunt, but here’s a compilation for most of the year from fishing and hunting success:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15469933/1

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.