Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 116 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 115 116
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used to cut the balls open when I was younger to see what as in there.

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I used to cut balls open with my irons back in the day when covers were softer and cores were made of rubber bands! Those were some good balls!

God Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by deflave
Have you been fitted for clubs? If not, go do it.

No.

I've been told that's largely overrated.

Depends on if they do it right. It’s only overrated if you don’t like ten or twenty extra yards with your drives.

If you are average ability, height and swing speed then it's likely no benefit. If you're tall, short, weak or athletic then get fitted. It's fairly easy and you can do it yourself with a little training and a few simple tools.

God Bless America
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I play one or two rounds a year when I go visit Pops down in Komifornia. I used to play weekly until I moved to Ak. Never considered myself very good, but did Ace a short par 4 one time.

Fun game, I just have too many other expensive hobbies these days.

i've played what used to be a municipal course in Anchorage. Don't know if it is still a municipal course, still open, or whether you get relief from moose tracks on the green.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

No.

Depends on if they do it right. It’s only overrated if you don’t like ten or twenty extra yards with your drives.

If you are average ability, height and swing speed then it's likely no benefit. If you're tall, short, weak or athletic then get fitted. It's fairly easy and you can do it yourself with a little training and a few simple tools.

Fitting ain’t about getting clubs of the right length and lie, it’s about getting on a launch monitor and getting optimum spin rate and launch angle. It’s magic when you get it right. An extra ten yards doing nothing different.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/02/20.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Extra yardage is simply that. Extra yardage.
The key factor to consider is obtaining tighter shot dispersion.
A fitting from a professional fitter is well worth it. Scores will improve.
Shaft specifics need to be matched to your swing analysis.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

So nothing has changed?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use to fish balls out of the water traps wash them and sell them to the golfers when i was a teen one pond was about 13 ft deep, i'd take a raft paddle out with my buddy use a piece of water hose for a snorkle and a weight to keep me down and go along the bottom picking them up.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

No.

I’d disagree with this. As has been mentioned, going to a quality fitter will change the game. They’ll match a set of clubs to whatever excuse for a swing you bring them. Proper shaft flex, kick point, weight, and length; proper loft/lie on your heads, proper grip size, etc. If they’re worth their salt, they’ll have you on a launch monitor for all of this and incorporate a ball into the mix to make sure you’re using a ball fits the swing and club setup they’ve figured out for you.

Did one with PXG about a year ago and it was amazing. Tried probably 200 different configurations that day and by the end, the guy was like, “Swing this and play a draw and watch it go straight. Now play a fade and watch it stay low” kinda schit. They’ll also put checkshots in there to make sure their numbers are right, so he’d be like, “This is probably gonna feel like schit, but go ahead and swing it anyways just so we can make sure we’re on the right track.” Sure as [bleep], it felt like hitting one chunky out of a gravel driveway.

If you think you’ll get serious about playing more often and trying to get better, I think a quality fitting session and subsequent custom club purchase is one of the largest ROI’s you’ll find in the process.

Originally Posted by UncleAlps

No.

Grossly overstated and inaccurate. Well, maybe not. If by a few simple tools you mean a several thousand dollar launch monitor and a couple hundred shafts, complete with QD fittings into each of the several dozen heads you’d need, as well as various grips for each shaft offering, then I suppose you’re right. Gone are the days of a little face tape, heel tape, and an impact board.

I get what you’re saying - most off the shelf clubs are designed for average height, swing speed, ability, etc. But for Christ’s sake, pick a course and go sit at the tee of number one for an hour and tell me if you think all the swings you witness are similar enough to be playing out of the same bag.

There’s a reason launch monitors are so pervasive these days. Using them to fit clubs to your style is absolutely valuable and should be done by anyone who wants to get better at the game.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 11/02/20.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Ducks,

I don't doubt anything you're saying. I just feel like I should get as good as I can with what I got before getting fitted.

I still don't know schit about golf but the guys I know that are good have said that it's a bad idea for a beginning golfer because your swing will evolve and change over the course of your first six months to a year of playing.

There's a PGA Superstore and a Golf Galaxy real close to the house.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ducks,

I don't doubt anything you're saying. I just feel like I should get as good as I can with what I got before getting fitted.

I still don't know schit about golf but the guys I know that are good have said that it's a bad idea for a beginning golfer because your swing will evolve and change over the course of your first six months to a year of playing.

There's a PGA Superstore and a Golf Galaxy real close to the house.

Yes and no. Most fittings are free. Get fitted and don’t dump a ton into high quality bats. It’ll improve your game immediately and give you a little more confidence/enjoyment when you’re out there.

I think what they’re getting at is to not get fitted early in the process and use that data as the gospel for the rest of your playing days. I like the handicap approach - get fitted every time you drop your handicap by ten shots. During that span, your swing and game will have likely changed enough to warrant another fitting and different sticks.

Two sides to that argument, too. If you get as good as you can with what you’re currently using, the learning curve when you get fitted clubs may be a little steeper. Rather, learning on some clubs that are already to your specs will allow your “as good as you can” to be a little better, with a much smaller learning curve associated with the transition.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 11/02/20.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
We are saying the same thing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Perhaps.

Any clue how many rounds you have under your belt? Average score?

As long as you aren’t playing with some Happy Gilmore schit, you’re probably fine. Most of the newer stuff available now is good enough to get going on, I just wanted to point out that it’s most definitely worth it, regardless of when it’s done.

I have a buddy that got fitted when he was like 20. Back then, he probably weighed 170lbs and was in great shape. Now he’s probably 275 and hasn’t passed up a drive thru in years. He still uses the same numbers he got back then and his game has gone to hell.

That’s all I’m saying - likely the same concept. Also, the more you play, you’ll know when you need new clubs.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I use to fish balls out of the water traps wash them and sell them to the golfers when i was a teen one pond was about 13 ft deep, i'd take a raft paddle out with my buddy use a piece of water hose for a snorkle and a weight to keep me down and go along the bottom picking them up.

used to do that, also, but at a local club, around midnight, went into the pond, kept the balls for my own use, the members had the number of the head greenskeeper, who lived nearby, so we knew we had to get in and out. The water wasn't too deep, but the muck was.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Perhaps.

Any clue how many rounds you have under your belt? Average score?

As long as you aren’t playing with some Happy Gilmore schit, you’re probably fine. Most of the newer stuff available now is good enough to get going on, I just wanted to point out that it’s most definitely worth it, regardless of when it’s done.

I have a buddy that got fitted when he was like 20. Back then, he probably weighed 170lbs and was in great shape. Now he’s probably 275 and hasn’t passed up a drive thru in years. He still uses the same numbers he got back then and his game has gone to hell.

That’s all I’m saying - likely the same concept. Also, the more you play, you’ll know when you need new clubs.

I would say between 50-60 rounds total.

Initially I would be 30 over or worse and now I can "bogey golf" pretty consistently. Meaning 18-20 over on 18 holes. I think my best score to date is +13.

I bought a used set of Pings for my irons. Driver is a Taylor Made. Gap wedges are Clevelands.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As long as you’re keeping an honest score, you’re already in the zone for getting fitted. Lots of guys bust their asses to get to bogey golf. If you’re already there, you’d benefit. Regardless, it isn’t like the world ends tomorrow if you don’t get fitted. Have fun with it. Keep an honest score, play by the rules, and tip the drink girls.

I’m jealous. I grew up playing all the time. Got down to a single digit handicap, enjoyed the hell out of it. I hardly play anymore. Kinda tough when the courses are only open for 4-5 months a year. Did the PXG fitting a year ago and recommitted to practicing because the old man drew tee times on The Old Course at St. Andrews. That trip got COVIDed, so we’re supposed to go in June of 2021, now. Definitely looking forward to that.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Yeah I keep an honest score. Most of the time I'm playing by myself anyway so I have no reason not to. LOL

I don't know that it would hold my interest living anywhere else, but living here I'm just fully submersed in it. I can't golf enough in a week.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s a good way to waste time and get outside. You’ll eventually find yourself practicing swings getting dressed, and schit. Next thing you know, you’re watching golf tournaments on tv. Ph uck you could get Clydesdale to be your caddy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Manage expectations. Burnout is painful.
Been a golfer for 30+ years. Finally bought a house on a course six years ago and started playing daily rounds, in leagues and practiced every day. Burnout is real.
Keep it in perspective. Let it be fun.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
It’s a good way to waste time and get outside. You’ll eventually find yourself practicing swings getting dressed, and schit. Next thing you know, you’re watching golf tournaments on tv. Ph uck you could get Clydesdale to be your caddy.

I do all that already.

No Clydesdale though. Hard to swing with somebody trying to suck my dick for 18 holes.

Page 23 of 116 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.