Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by droptine8850
Shot this guy in New Mexico with my 6.5 PRC and 139 gr Lapua Scenar. Great performance and super accurate

RL-26? Just curious of your load...

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Probably not great anecdotal evidence, but I finally got to shoot something with my new 26 Nosler last Thursday. Loaded the 140 Grain Nosler Accubond and I was very impressed with my sample of one spike elk. Bullet went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and clipped the spine along the way and we found the perfectly mushroomed bullet under the hide on the far side. Elk dropped in his tracks and didn't even twitch... Hardly any meat lost- probably about a cup or so and no tracking required.... my kind of bullet....

Bob

Sounds about part for that excellent 140. How far was the bull?

Congrats on him as well. I use the same bullet in my 264 and it’s been excellent as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Probably not great anecdotal evidence, but I finally got to shoot something with my new 26 Nosler last Thursday. Loaded the 140 Grain Nosler Accubond and I was very impressed with my sample of one spike elk. Bullet went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and clipped the spine along the way and we found the perfectly mushroomed bullet under the hide on the far side. Elk dropped in his tracks and didn't even twitch... Hardly any meat lost- probably about a cup or so and no tracking required.... my kind of bullet....

Bob

Sounds about part for that excellent 140. How far was the bull?

Congrats on him as well. I use the same bullet in my 264 and it’s been excellent as well.

It was only about 125 yards , so it was smoking along pretty good. Had to shoot through a tiny little opening in some dead tree branches about the size of a coke bottle about 20 feet in front of me... interesting shot but it worked so I'm a happy camper....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have been great Bullets for us as well. Accubonds are pretty tough to beat in most cases.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
About any 140 grainers....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Bob

My hunting bud loves the 140 NAB in his 26 Nos, kills stuff with authority. I have been loading those for him with 869 powder.

I have been shooting 120 TTSX and E-Tips in mine with good results, also with 869.

My latest 26 Nosler load is the 156 EOL over Vv N-170 at around 3K fps. Have not killed anything yet, but that's an impressive bullet on paper, shoots great out of my Shilen M-700. Check out the specs on that bullet. I had resisted VLD's in my Nos because I didn't have faith in them holding together at high speeds, especially after a Berger Tech told me they didn't recommend pushing their VLD Hunting bullets over 3,200 fps. Well, the 156 EOL maxes out around 3K fps, so it should be OK on critters. With its high B.C. it should perform pretty well at long range.

N-170 isn't as slow burning as 869, but out performs it with the 156 EOL. It's a high energy powder, probably harder on barrels than 869, but I don't shoot my Nos that much. It's a very coarse stick, won't flow thru my Uniflow RCBS powder measure, stacks up. I remove the drop tube, dump a load in a scale pan, tweak load to the desired weight. Slower, but I don't shoot a volume of those loads.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This year in camp 5 cow elk taken with the 143 gr. ELD-X. Distances ranged from ~170 - ~260 yards. 2 taken with factory ammo, 3 with handloads. All one shot kills, all exited.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Puddle
This year in camp 5 cow elk taken with the 143 gr. ELD-X. Distances ranged from ~170 - ~260 yards. 2 taken with factory ammo, 3 with handloads. All one shot kills, all exited.

Man, that's good to hear, I loaned my 6.5 swede to a buddy, set him up with a good rangefinder and dope card, went out West for antelope, got his two, then loaned the rifle out to others in camp, a total of 6 antelope fell to the 6.5 Swede and 147gr Hornady ELD's, no bullet recoveries, longest shot was 564 yards, damn glad to know they'll work on cow elk too, said old rancher that owns the land out there has some monster muleys on it, they'll be after those tags next year, I need to see if I can tag along too.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

Man, that's good to hear, I loaned my 6.5 swede to a buddy, set him up with a good rangefinder and dope card, went out West for antelope, got his two, then loaned the rifle out to others in camp, a total of 6 antelope fell to the 6.5 Swede and 147gr Hornady ELD's, no bullet recoveries, longest shot was 564 yards, damn glad to know they'll work on cow elk too, said old rancher that owns the land out there has some monster muleys on it, they'll be after those tags next year, I need to see if I can tag along too.

But, but, sputter, sputter, that's a target bullet.... shocked

So is the 139 Scenar. Tell that to Pat... blush

laugh

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You are talking the the ELDM, not the ELDX. The ELDM is a target bullet and not specifically designed for hunting. They have killed many animals, but don't confuse the two. The X is designed as a hunting bullet. I have killed quite a few deer and a couple antelope with the 147 ELDM and they work fine for that. I, personally, would not shoot an elk with one, but it has been done a bunch.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How you gonna convince Pat (Scenarshooter) that the 139 Scenar (basically a target bullet) isn’t adequate to kill an elk?

That could be hard, based on his rather extensive portfolio of dead elk photos.

DF

D
D
Originally Posted by Remington280
Shot this guy in New Mexico with my 6.5 PRC and 139 gr Lapua Scenar. Great performance and super accurate

RL-26? Just curious of your load...

H4831 gives me 3050 fps with 24" barrel and the 139 Scenars

D
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

laugh

DF

Pat's Deceased by Scenar thread is the reason I tried them......very pleased so far!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

DF

Pat's Deceased by Scenar thread is the reason I tried them......very pleased so far!

Yeah, they work.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, the 139 scenar works

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

laugh

DF

LOL DF, I been hearin' that............... ; ]

SBH, Thanks for the clarification, back when I was getting the rifle built I had a thread on the subject, iirc Hondo, Josh303, Cowboy Hunstman and Aalf all said they have or would run a 147gr Horn into an elk, if I also remember correctly one spoke of 4 or 5 feet of penetration on an elk or moose, not to mention Pat's kills with the lighter Scenar, I'm happy my rifle got to kill some antelope for these men, I havenet hit a thing with it 'cept paper and steel ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW DF, yesterday afternoon I got a text with a tracking number from the Buddy I loaned the rifle too, his cousin is a high dollar world traveler welder, he'd heard about me setting his cousin up with rifle, range finder and dope card, Buds cousin ask for my address, Bud gave it to him, he didn't think I'd mind, tracking number is for a package coming with 5 boxes of 147gr Hornady ELD's, Buds cousin is sending them to me from his personal stash as thanks, I believe I'm set with the little Swede for awhile. cool

My old Buddy is a shooter, but had to sell off all his stuff because leukemia is trying to take his life, we've already been through the whole MD Anderson treatment/marrow deal, he was pale and had already lost his hair due to the chemo when he came to get the rifle, so as you can see, this wasn't just a regular antelope hunt, I hope my friend lives long enough to chase mule deer at the same place out West next year. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s darned good of you Gunner. Glad the rifle got to do something so special.

That sorta stuff comes around.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTW DF, yesterday afternoon I got a text with a tracking number from the Buddy I loaned the rifle too, his cousin is a high dollar world traveler welder, he'd heard about me setting his cousin up with rifle, range finder and dope card, Buds cousin ask for my address, Bud gave it to him, he didn't think I'd mind, tracking number is for a package coming with 5 boxes of 147gr Hornady ELD's, Buds cousin is sending them to me from his personal stash as thanks, I believe I'm set with the little Swede for awhile. cool

My old Buddy is a shooter, but had to sell off all his stuff because leukemia is trying to take his life, we've already been through the whole MD Anderson treatment/marrow deal, he was pale and had already lost his hair due to the chemo when he came to get the rifle, so as you can see, this wasn't just a regular antelope hunt, I hope my friend lives long enough to chase mule deer at the same place out West next year. smile

Quite a story there, gunner. Happy you and your Swede were able to be there for him.

And, if and when we get to feeling sorry for ourselves, we just have to look around and be thankful for what we have (or don't have). We live each day by the Grace of God; we have no lease on life...

Working with my bud's new Mauser-18 Creed, it shot factory 147 ELD-M and 140 ELD-M into the same POI. I had some factory Winchester 140 target, used them for sight in, but they showed some pressure in this gun. Don't remember ever seeing pressure, as in stiff bolt opening, shiny case heads, etc with factory fodder. Well, I pulled those 140's, seated 130 NAB's, which shot 3/4" into the same POI. Typical Creed.

He just killed a cull buck, good exit, obliterated heart, messed up lungs, 60 yd. death run. He's very pleased with the gun and load. He's the one who did so well with PG in Africa with his 7RM Sendero with 160 NAB's over RL-26, so he's a big Accubond fan to begin with. This just reinforced his NAB fetish.

I let him know how well the ELD-M's work on WT's and such. But, doubt he gets off the 130 NAB's until he runs out of them. I just pulled another box of Win Target 140's, replaced with 130 NAB's. That takes care of all my factory Creed ammo. For my personal Creed, it's all hand loads, currently with 136L Scenars. The Creed is one of the easiest to load for, almost everything shoots good or great. The Swede's no slouch, Creed's just easier,

Just got a text, he's staying with the 130 NAB's, gonna save the factory 140 and 147 ELD-M's I gave him... grin

Do I know him or what.... wink

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/06/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
130 AB here. Devastating performance in my .264

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.