Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a lot of gear but not much Sitka. Most of my gear is from Cabela’s. I also have a good amount of KUIU for backpack/bivy hunting but they don’t have gear aimed at cold-weather stand hunting. I have been using Cabela’s MT050 for this.

Anyway, I was trying to find the warmest suit for stand hunting in New England. No matter what I do, I always seem to get cold when the temperature drops below 30 unless I am moving. I mentioned the Blizzard parka and pants to my wife and and to my surprise she suggested I “just buy it.” So I did. It looks and feels good but I won’t get to try it for a week or two. I am excited to give it a go.

It’s expensive but, if it keeps me warm, it is well worth it in my opinion considering most of us have several $1,000 rifles that spend too much time in the safe.

Do any of you guys use this set? Is it warm?

Last edited by Theeck; 11/05/20.
GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
This thread took off

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
95% of the people here have never hunted, much less hunted below freezing. they are clueless.

I run the cheaper stuff. But I would hope that Sitka would do the job for the price it brings. Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to scrape and scrounge up old military surplus cold weather gear... Much of it works very well!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Theeck,
I can’t comment on the Blizzard set itself as I’ve never used that but I bought the Fanatic jacket and bibs for similar conditions as you described. One reason I went with the fanatic was how quiet it is. I was considering the incinerator series or the First Lite Sanctuary series as well, but I think the fanatic gives me the best balance of what I was looking for.

I would question whether or not the incinerator series and some proper layering might not be a better solution for you, but since you have it and the money’s spent, why not give it a shot.

If you did want to take a different approach, I would check out the incinerator line and some layering options for underneath. Merino wool base layers followed by a mid-weight shell are a good way to get to the stand without breaking a sweat and then put your insulating layer on when you get in the stand. Don’t forget your feet too. If you’re feet are chronically cold, it’s going to make the rest of you feel colder than you are. Putting a foam pad down under your feet helps and in really cold, long sits I’ve gone to wearing upland boots to the stand and taking those off in the stand and just wearing felt liners with Artctic Shield Boot covers over them with a disposable heat pouch in each. Kept me comfortable in the stand after Christmas last year.

Fear the crabcat.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
95% of the people here have never hunted, much less hunted below freezing. they are clueless.

Please post a link where you’ve shared a meaningful hunting experience or any insightful outdoor tips.

Fear the crabcat.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian, they're all wool, heavy, and are perfect for what you want. They're proud of their stuff.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tdbob
King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian, they're all wool, heavy, and are perfect for what you want. They're proud of their stuff.

Except the wind goes right through wool, which is an issue in the western states.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I havent owned a Blizzard set, but did own the incinerator set. Incredibly warm and when paired with a pair of Bunny boots I could stand hunt in Upper Michigan all day long without getting cold.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BWalker

Except the wind goes right through wool, which is an issue in the western states.

Thats when the wind resistant thin shell comes out, but im guessing you know that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntworth makes good stuff for the money. Just ordered their heavyweight jacket and a beanie. They call it heavyweight but I think its on the thinner side. Hope it arrives before I'm off to chase Coyote next weekend. Prolly get down into the 20's at night.
https://youtu.be/ZOckPXDJbtw
https://youtu.be/oyocWlsUJhc

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are gonna look so cool you will pray for terrible weather so you can show off your gear. I have a blaze camo parka and bibs that I want everyone to see me wearing so I hope it's cold.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Theeck
I have a lot of gear but not much Sitka. Most of my gear is from Cabela’s. I also have a good amount of KUIU for backpack/bivy hunting but they don’t have gear aimed at cold-weather stand hunting. I have been using Cabela’s MT050 for this.

Anyway, I was trying to find the warmest suit for stand hunting in New England. No matter what I do, I always seem to get cold when the temperature drops below 30 unless I am moving. I mentioned the Blizzard parka and pants to my wife and and to my surprise she suggested I “just buy it.” So I did. It looks and feels good but I won’t get to try it for a week or two. I am excited to give it a go.

It’s expensive but, if it keeps me warm, it is well worth it in my opinion considering most of us have several $1,000 rifles that spend too much time in the safe.

Do any of you guys use this set? Is it warm?

I didn't get into Sitka stuff until this season and honestly, I'm not that impressed. I bought their midweight zip for bow season and after a week long elk hunting trip and a couple washings, the shirt was starting to tatter and come apart at the seems. I've heard that their newer stuff has had some quality complaints. That shirt was $99... should not have happened.

For stand hunting in freezing weather, I'd get some wool unders and layer up from there with a shell to block the wind. Good beanie with a set of light to mid weight gloves and a pair of heavy mittens you can put over them but can take off in a hurry.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

Please post a link where you’ve shared a meaningful hunting experience or any insightful outdoor tips.

He hasn't. He's just a POS.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You might check out Simms, they have expanded beyond fishing to some very high quality outdoor severe weather gear.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Thats when the wind resistant thin shell comes out, but im guessing you know that.

Wear a shell over the wool? I'd rather a shell and a primaloft top and bottom to wear underneath when its cold. Lighter, warmer and dried much quicker.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve the puffy primal loft stuff and merino base layers with Sitka mid layer. I tried on KOTM about a decade ago when it was a little bit cheaper. If it would’ve fit I’d not have the primaloft stuff. Easily the warmest, nicest bibs I’ve tried. Weight is significant over primaloft though. I believe the overalls I tried had a wind proof layer as well. I was broke but if they had more than a 28-30” inseam in stock I’d have scrounged the money together. I want to say the bibs then were around $400. Now I think they are closer to double but it’s been awhile. I pack in much further now as well so primaloft works well for the cost and I’ve not looked at heavy bibs again.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I have some wool but I don't find it as warm as down or Primaloft. I have a lot layering pieces but I use them for hunting on the move more often. It gets to be a pain packing so much misc. crap for stand hunting. I'll give it a shot and see how it does. I did look at the Incinerator and Fanatic but I like that the Blizzard is waterproof even if that makes it noisy. If I am in a stand, I won't be moving enough to make noise.

I am headed to Vermont in a week for the rifle season. So far it is looking like highs around 50 and overnight lows in the 30s. I think it will be overkill unless a cold front comes in. I am always hoping for early snow in VT but the 10 day forecast is not looking promising. I will be up there until 11/21 or 11/22 so maybe a front will come in.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Cabelas makes Wooltimate hunting garments w/ windshear. I have not tried it though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

I run the cheaper stuff. But I would hope that Sitka would do the job for the price it brings. Good luck!

Someone who never hunted a day in his life offers advice on high end hunting clothing. You can't make this schit up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.