Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
I would have some disdain for the 8x57 given it's military history against the allies in two WWs.

Think about how many commies it killed.

Like it or not, those communists fought on the side of the Allies & won the war.

I don't like it. They didn't fight on our side, they fought on their side.

GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would have some disdain for the 8x57 given it's military history against the allies in two WWs.

Not fuggin nearly enough....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I've never understood the bullet selection argument. I don't need 536 different bullets for one rifle, I only need one good bullet and I'm pretty sure you can find one good bullet for either.

If the 30/06 is to do all American cartridge, one would say the 8x57 is too, since it sends same weight bullets at about the same speed.

No flies on it, but it definitely isn’t All American.

I guess you didn't understand the analogy.

You’re right. I have no idea why you would refer to the military caliber of the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, and the Third Reich as “All American”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Like it or not, those communists fought on the side of the Allies & won the war.

I don't like it. They didn't fight on our side, they fought on their side.

I didn't say they fought on "our side", I said they fought on the "side of the Allies" which they did.

Like'em or not (I don't), without the Russians fighting against the Nazis, WWII would have ended a lot differently, either in a loss for the Allies or a war that might have been years longer.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own two Walther Mauser's, a 7x57 and an 8x57, both bought pretty cheap when I lived in Alberta circa mid-2000's. The 7x57 has been drilled and tapped and throws 160 AB well inside an inch at a hundred. The 8x57 appears new and unfired.

The 7x57 is now owned by my youngest son. The 8x57 is untouched.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never understood the bullet selection argument. I don't need 536 different bullets for one rifle, I only need one good bullet and I'm pretty sure you can find one good bullet for either.

I couldn’t agree more. That’s always the first argument thrown out with regard to the less popular diameters. 25, 35, 8mm, 411 all get the “poor” bullet selection comment dumped on them. The bullet selection isn’t poor, it’s just not as varied. There are enough good quality bullets available in each of those diameters to meet any need.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are plenty of bullets now, but that wasn’t always the case. And some of the bullets that used to be offered, were designed to expand at 8mm Magnum velocities and were a little tough for the 8x57.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you've got the bases covered. dry...take the 7. rainy use the 8 with open sights. great looking rifle there. i've had experience with several like it back in the day.

lots of guys who were in germany brought them back. the one problem i had was the slim, stalking rifle stocks could be snappy with norma loads.

saw a lot of whitetails killed very dead using the underpowered commercial loads. 170 rn at 2300 or so did the job.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buy 2 1 of each. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have wondered about guys not liking a certain cartridge because it was used as a military cartridge. Dad had a restocked m98 8x57 and it was one heavy piece with that cut down original stepped barrel. What a great smooth action though that I wish that I’d have kept and turned into a .35 Whelen. WWll was before my time, but Viet Nam wasn’t and I wouldn’t have a 7.62x39 as a gift. I bet others on here feel the same way.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Both cartridges are a handloading proposition, I think that I might go with the 8x57 with a good 200gr Accubond load out of the Nosler manual.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

If we're going to use that standard, the 7x57 is right out, too. Lots of good Americans lost their lives to it in the Spanish American war.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trplem

If we're going to use that standard, the 7x57 is right out, too. Lots of good Americans lost their lives to it in the Spanish American war.

and the 9mm in a pistol.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting question. When I decided to have a custom built on an FN Mauser action I had I went with the 7x57. I guess too much reading of JB and JO'C written words had something to do with it. Something about the sound of the name 7x57 has a certain ring to it. Frankly in all the years I've been shooting I really never gave any thought to the 8x57. It just didn't appeal to me. So if I was in the OP's position, I'd go with the 7x57and never look back. But then again, probably the biggest game I will ever hunt might be a Black Bear but most likely a cow elk. I figure my 7x57 will work just fine as long as I do my part.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve both too. Killed game with each, load for each. Don`t believe you can go wrong with either. And as mentioned, bullet selection is good for the 8, not out standing. That said, I like the advances in bullet development for the 7 ( high B.C.) which to me takes the 7x57 into this century, and depending on rifle weight, makes it more fun to shoot. I`d go 7x57.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trplem

Originally Posted by Windfall
I have wondered about guys not liking a certain cartridge because it was used as a military cartridge.

I didn't say it was a rational disdain for the 8x57. smile

S
Skydawg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Since we’re off the original comparison of two rifle calibers invented well prior to WWl and WWll you might want to consider that
Ferdinand Porsche once worked for the infamous Fuehrer, Adolf Hitler and sell that Porsche if you own one. I’m sure there are
hundreds of other examples. I will concede that buying something made in China today is a different story. But at least in this country (for now) we have the freedom to choose and express our opinions and use our rifle of choice. Not sure how long we’ll have that freedom or our 2nd amendment rights. However, I do think if and when the present day “nazis” of the radical left come for my guns that it would give me great satisfaction defending my rights and life with either 7x57, 8x57, 5.56 NATO, 308, 30-06 , or the 45-70. If I run out of ammo for these I’ll use the 6.5 Swede, before picking up the 7mm-08 or Creedmoor. Think I’ll take Magnum_Bob’s advice
😎 and buy one of each. I’m sure the wife will understand.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you are building customs:

280 Remington

338/06

Unbelievable ballistics on both. 280 Remington loads in the manuals are rated for Pump guns. I shot the 160g partitions and Sierra btsp at 2930 on a 24" barrel....load right out of the Nosler manual #4.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

There's not a millimeter of difference between those two cartridges . . . . smirk

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Personally, I like the 8mm caliber. A lot. Why? Must be the German roots of ancestors, coming over in the 1700's and 1800's to get away from religious and political persecution. I've just always had an affinity for the 8.

And this is good, because with so many frowning on the 8mm caliber, I will always have the unique rifle in camp when I bring mine. Most end up wanting to shoot it

I have several Mausers. A Turk that's for sporterizing only - too dangerous to shoot otherwise. A second Turk that's turned into an 8mm-06AI. Loaded to it's full potential it treads upon the heels of my 325 WSM.

I have a few other Mausers in the safe, that are to a greater or lesser degree more like the original rifle. My son's 8mm Mauser is one he takes with him to re-enactments of WWII.

Yeah, the 8x57mm Mauser was the weapon of 2 German powers. The 7x57mm Mauser was used against the Americans to great effect by the Spanish - forcing the American military to reconsider the 30-40 Krag as the adopted cartridge of use.

It was both the 7mm and 8mm Mauser rounds that drove our military to adopt the 30-06.

If I want to go All-American, I pick up my 45-70, 30-30, or 35 Rem...all in lever guns.

My go-to, in order - 45-70, 325 WSM, 7mm-08, 260 Rem, 8mm Mauser, 30-30, 270 WCF, 6mm Rem, 35 Rem.

Personal Defense - 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51

in short, I love them all, because ANY of these might get called upon to defend my home and my nation.

Bullet selection? I typically reload to replace the commercial offering most available, then find the heaviest for caliber bullet the cartridge will demonstrate reliable terminal ballistics for my lever and bolt actions. Person defense rifles? Easier to consume the cheap surplus than build loads...until now. Pick a bullet or two or three, and you're good to go. Practice with that combo, get good with it.

If I wanted great bullet selection, I would have kept to 7mm and .30 calibers only. I like a nice selection of tools, and I'll find a few bullets I like the performance in, and leave it there.

That's my $0.02

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.