-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly a good practice, Super Cub. I probably ought to do that too.
Rex

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hi Phil Can you post some pics of your 505 Gibbs. Another fascinating rifle that you have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I chose Weaver bases for a number of good reasons, one being I had seen how well they held up to extended recoil when mounted on a .50 BMG when I was in Vietnam. And the current military picitinny is nothing but a beefed up version.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new Gun Digest has a full length feature on Old Ugly

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What did you do with the 458 on a 1917 action you got from me?

THAT started life ugly! eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil, how difficult was it to obtain a Adolph Minar rifle? My understanding is he made only a couple dozen customs prior to his untimely death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Phil, how difficult was it to obtain a Adolph Minar rifle? My understanding is he made only a couple dozen customs prior to his untimely death.

It fell in my lap. One of our hunting clients from N Cal. Always seems to find interesting guns. He also found the 1906 Jeffery 404.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458Win

It fell in my lap. One of our hunting clients from N Cal. Always seems to find interesting guns. He also found the 1906 Jeffery 404.

Uh, Mr Phil, I'm up for adoption ! Whatda think ? whistle

laugh laugh

I'd scout em. drag em, skin em, butcher em,..... sound good ? grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
I’d like to start a collection to have Phil’s gun refinished! If for no other reason than it won’t be as offensive in future campfire pics!

I just picked up a few new cans of Rustoleum just to do that same thing. Although the rifle must already have a dozen coats of paint already !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’d like to start a collection to have Phil’s gun refinished! If for no other reason than it won’t be as offensive in future campfire pics!

I just picked up a few new cans of Rustoleum just to do that same thing. Although the rifle must already have a dozen coats of paint already !

Phil,

what is the original rifle and what changes did you make over time other than the custom paint job? 😊

What would you recommend for the most reliable rifles you have seen over time?

Other end, which have you seen to have problems?

There was an interesting thread about reliable and unreliable rifles a few years ago from PH's in Africa, but you certainly are facing challenging conditions and dangerous game.

So, your insights would be meaningful.

Thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Phil,

what is the original rifle and what changes did you make over time other than the custom paint job? 😊

What would you recommend for the most reliable rifles you have seen over time?

Other end, which have you seen to have problems?

There was an interesting thread about reliable and unreliable rifles a few years ago from PH's in Africa, but you certainly are facing challenging conditions and dangerous game.

So, your insights would be meaningful.

Thanks.

I think my article in the 2021 Gun Digest will answer all your questions about how the rifle has worked and what small changes I have made, and why.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I think my article in the 2021 Gun Digest will answer all your questions about how the rifle has worked and what small changes I have made, and why.

Ok, that was enough to make me order it. 👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new editor Phillip Massaro contacted me to ask for the full story on the rifle as I continue using it and making slight modifications .

Next year he wants the full 9mm Phil bear story and my testing results of various handgun loads.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
As a kid, one of my great joys was thumbing through my dad's old Gun Digests. I had no idea they were still published.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Phil,
I read the article and was a little disappointed there was nothing, other than the picture, of the cape buffalo hunt. Will there be a story on your African hunt. I did enjoy reading about all the work that went into Ol' Ugly. How is your book coming along.

Ken

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Ok, that was enough to make me order it. 👍

+1

Me, too.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Ken, it is coming along slower than I had hoped as hunts and logistics are great ways to procrastinate. But this Covid is giving me time and I have been working on hopefully the last chapter and still need, or want, to search the Alaska museum for interesting historical photos

And then neat old guns keep popping up and need attention .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Covid canceled the Wannamacher’s Tulsa Gunshow again so my search for neat old guns will have to wait a bit longer. I do enjoy your writing, please keep it up when you have time.
Ken

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Phil: I read the Gun Digest article today. Great story.

Being a bit of a loony about such things, I'd be interested in knowing what you were looking for when you modified the stock for fit.

Yes, I know, so it would fit you. But did you shorten LOP to accommodate winter clothing? Offhand shooting from a squatting position?

That kind of thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wanted it to fit, of course, and I knew that for offhand and quick shots that a bit shorter was usually an asset. Especially when wearing a jacket or raincoat. I kept cutting and slowly building it up until it fit the way it felt best. And now almost 40 years later it feels like an extension of me.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,214
Posts18,524,304
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.