Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I just carry a 10mm Glock these days.

What is your preferred ammo for your Glock?

Not Akpendude and don't know anything about Alaska bears. But for running bears with hounds and killing them in close quarters, I use Underwood 220 gr. hard cast in my Glock 40. It's a very stout round at 1200+ fps.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
According to Heim Korth in the book "The Final Frontiersman" I would follow the advise:
Before taking a handgun into bear country make sure that the front sight is filed off. Because it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves the gun up your arse.

On the other hand:
In a case of immediate emergency even the 357 Magnum might help:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

Thats a joke from Heimo....

Since 9mms work...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I think you’ll be fine not carrying a pistol for backup. 😉

I wouldn’t throw my rifle down and Wild Bill Hickok a charging bear.

I never carry a handgun if I'm carrying a rifle. OTOH when we go back to camp after shooting game and get all the stuff to clean etc... I swap the rifle for a handgun...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't POW a draw hunt? I applied a couple years ago & wasn't drawn.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You don't need a special gun to kill bears. A handgun is used for personal protection when you're not carrying your rifle. If you'll ever put your rifle down for any reason, it is sensible to have a handgun. I live and camp around bears, but they are hardly my foremost concern. Still, I carry a handgun every day, not a rifle. When I go to sleep in camp, it's not a rifle that's in my sleeping bag, but a handgun. When you're camping or hunting with others, it can be another person who gets in trouble and it might be when you didn't think you needed to have your rifle. They might appreciate it if you weren't unarmed.

I suggest carrying the handgun that you're most proficient with. Personally, I carry a 357 Magnum revolver and that's what I devote all my practice to. However, it's better to be armed with a 9mm pistol with which you are proficient than to be armed with an unfamiliar gun. I would be much less concerned about a bunch of 9mm hits failing on a bear or moose than I would be about fumbling around with an unfamiliar "bear" gun with which I might manage to get off one shot that misses.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 458Win
If you are hunting with a rifle and can't kill a bear with it, then your chances with any handgun are pretty slim.
And in all the testing I did with various handguns and assuming equal quality bullets, I would rate the 357 and the 10 mm as virtual equals, so pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Phil
I recall you have posted a pic of your wife in the cabin kitchen w a .357 holstered at her back?

180 HC in that?

Yes, that is what she, my daughter and even I carry most of the time

Its what I carry too all year round. 44 mag is too heavy in the parka pocket. I can't run the dog team up hills with a 44 mag. Little sp 101, no problem. I get charged by grumpy winter moose at least once a season. One dog, Rickus got stomped to sleep. 357 will stop that sht quick.

This season, last two shots out the barrel was in September. A finishing shot in the neck of a big bull moose. The 180 swift A-frame went clear through neck, and found against the hide.

9 days before that, shot a beaver with small game/357 load that provided camp meat for the entire moose hunt.

357 is more than just a bear protection gun, its an all season essential up here.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
You don't need a special gun to kill bears. A handgun is used for personal protection when you're not carrying your rifle. If you'll ever put your rifle down for any reason, it is sensible to have a handgun. I live and camp around bears, but they are hardly my foremost concern. Still, I carry a handgun every day, not a rifle. When I go to sleep in camp, it's not a rifle that's in my sleeping bag, but a handgun. When you're camping or hunting with others, it can be another person who gets in trouble and it might be when you didn't think you needed to have your rifle. They might appreciate it if you weren't unarmed.

I suggest carrying the handgun that you're most proficient with. Personally, I carry a 357 Magnum revolver and that's what I devote all my practice to. However, it's better to be armed with a 9mm pistol with which you are proficient than to be armed with an unfamiliar gun. I would be much less concerned about a bunch of 9mm hits failing on a bear or moose than I would be about fumbling around with an unfamiliar "bear" gun with which I might manage to get off one shot that misses.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go with your 357 and heavy bullets

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Any history of Black Bear attacks on POW? I am more afraid of the harsh terrain there!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by justabagoftricks
My nephew, who lived in Ketchikan, has offered to take me bear hunting on Prince of Wales next May. He suggested that in addition to bringing a rifle for the hunt, that I should bring a handgun as a backup just in case. The only handgun, other than a 9mm that I own, is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. Is that potent enough for the bear located on the island? Do I really need a backup gun? I have hunted deer, elk and antelope but I never have hunted bear nor have I been to Prince of Wales so any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

So .. I carry a handgun to back up my rifle IFF I am packing a questionably adequate, or questionably reliable, rifle. I grew up in a black bear preserve where we might run into up to a dozen or so in a day. It was along a river where the fishing guides, raft "guides", and some of the tour operators put out garbage to draw the bears in for their customers to take pictures so we had a lot of bears conditioned not to run from humans. If I was deer hunting with my dad's .25-20, or my .223, then you bet, I packed my .44 for bears. Similarly, when I hunt with a muzzleloader, I carry a .44 for "backup".

I don't have any faith in the .357 for that use. It is a paperweight. Better than nothing, I guess, but since i have better, when I carry a .357, I carry a .44 to back it up with.

Today, if I'm hunting with a good centerfire rifle, my dividing line falls around the .257 Roberts and .25-'06. Smaller than them, I definitely carry a backup. With them ... maybe, maybe not. Bigger ... why bother?

I saw your later post ... fishing, not packing your rifle? I would not want to rely on the .357. I'd take your relative's offer of loan of the 10mm. It's not ideal, but if you just have black bears, it's "better". IMHO. A .44 magnum is like an '06. It's the yardstick ... for a reason.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm enjoying the total crickets from the OP once the questions about the legality of his bear hunt popped up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
have hunted pow and i would not carry both rifle and handgun. maybe carry a handgun when fishing or just walking.

i drew a tag for 2021 elsewhere and am hopeful it works out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks.

IIRC, your reasoning was sufficient penetration with less recoil than other hand cannons for quicker reacquisition of the target?

Exactly, only hits count ! And multiple rapid hits, even from a small caliber, are better than a miss with an unfamiliar hand Cannon.

And as for those who claim a 357 is worthless, I can only tell them the same thing I say to those who claim the 30-06 is ineffective.

I carried my S&W M65 .357 for years and tested its penetration on large bear carcasses killed by my clients and knew the 180 gr FN jacket bullets would penetrate. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16 and she has carried it now for over 20 years. I found a M29 44 Mtn Gun and carried it for most of that time but occasionally packed a blued steel M13 357, and on the fateful day, my S&W 9mm.
I find that now I am in my 70's I prefer the lighter weight of the 357 as I carry it all day.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge Co. both make "heavy" .357 loads with 180 gr. hard cast FN bullets that would be the cat's meow for what you are planning.

You may need a taller front sight with 180's. My .357 FA needed a taller one. FA knew exactly what I needed and with that gun, it's just an Allen wrench and a simple swap.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
T_O_M,
This is what a 180 swift looks like after driven square through 16 inches the neck of a 55.75" antlered bull moose at 1200 fps, found against offside hide:

Lotta gusto from a 28oz pistol that fits in my pocket:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And with a smidgen of unique powder, any ole fmj, stacks the cache full o small game as well. So add versatility with the gusto if you don't mind:

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/12/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If in that situation, I have a couple of candidates, the Glock 40 would need a chest type holster. The FA .357 would be handier.

If a big one was after me, I'd feel better armed with the Glock. But, a cool head like Phil, probably wouldn't matter, although IIRC, he was down to his last 9mm round... Don't think he'd have had time to reload the FA. That could take a minute or so when seconds count... The G-40 surely wins the firepower race, especially with extra clip(s)....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot my one and only bear (black) with a S&W 686. I was reloading, but loaded with 140 JHP's. No longer use HP's for hunting. Took 5 shots to kill him - a just why of 6' boar.

I was out deer hunting and blew the fawn beat/distress call. This was late Oct. Something was coming in hard thru the brush - of course I was thinking buck. Didn't see him till he was less than 10 yds away. Opened fire and hit him. He starting heading away bawling. I had to track him down and finish him off. Went to Fred Meyers and bought a S&W 629 a few week later.

I've been known to pack both rifle and pistol while out hunting solo. When you're boning out a deer, you have your loaded rifle in close proximity, but if you got jumped my El Bruno, you may not be able to reach your rifle. Your pistol is on your hip.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always chosen deep penetrating bullets and try to be a bit more precise than simply "opened fire and hit him"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
OP Offline
J
Sorry for the slow response. Simply, I work all day and don't have time until evening to read and respond to the comments that have been given. As I had stated before, I know next to nothing about hunting bear in Alaska or more specifically, Prince of Wales. I do know that there are a limited number of tags although I do not know what are the chances of getting one. I guess I am just a little excited about the prospect of going to Alaska and just want to be prepared as much as I can if I am lucky enough get a bear tag. I didn't realize that my lack of a prompt response would generate concern of the "legality" of what I was hoping to do in May. I posted a simple, honest question. To those who answered that question in any way, thank you very much. It has been very informative and educational.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If in that situation, I have a couple of candidates, the Glock 40 would need a chest type holster. The FA .357 would be handier.

If a big one was after me, I'd feel better armed with the Glock. But, a cool head like Phil, probably wouldn't matter, although IIRC, he was down to his last 9mm round... Don't think he'd have had time to reload the FA. That could take a minute or so when seconds count... The G-40 surely wins the firepower race, especially with extra clip(s)....

DF

G40s use clips now? LMAO.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.