Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
OK guys after using the same Norton security/anti-virus setup forever it suddenly started blocking me from all internet sites. I had to go into it and turn the system security off to get online.

It has the little pop up notification when something needs checked or updated and if you click "fix it" it'll block the net all over. I have to restart the computer and NOT hit the update or turn off the system security to get on..

HELP!!!! I don't want to get hacked.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I upgraded to Vista I had to get rid of Norton. It was not compatible with my system.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
What is vista? I ran symantec live update the other day, but didn't knowingly change anything.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
what level are your security settings? which browser, OS ?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Medium settings, Internet explorer, windows XP

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VISTA is the new windows program. Every new computer that you buy has it. It replaced Windows XP. IF you have a new computer that might be the problem cause Norton will not run on Visa. I dont know anything about computers but I bet you will find some good advice here. I just know that when my firm bought my new laptop, I had to choose another antivirus program. i had always got good service from Norton. I think the puter nerds at Geek squad put PC -cillin on my new system. It seems to be working ok.

-Gen. Patton
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
mine are actually higher than that and all works. I'm betting on the AV software. did ya pay much for it?? McAfee is good, AVG by grisoft is one of my favorites. both are about 40/year and AVG has a free 30 day trial (full version)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have XP, Norton should work fine.

-Gen. Patton
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The problem is I've been running this Norton setup for 8 months on this computer and only yesterday/last night did it start acting up.

A quick scan and complete scan say nothing's infected yet when on it blocks the net...

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
look on the system tools and see when the last restore point was created. if something was updated or installed that's messing it up, you can use the restore function to go back to the last time it wsa working prooperly without losing any data.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280sRN
If you have XP, Norton should work fine.

I'm not a computer guy by any stretch and recently had my toy upgrade to XP and MacAfee if that is spelled correctly. I had Norton before and did have some problems but not many. With what is installed now and leaving my computer on 24/7 I have had zero difficuties.

Good luck to you.

C
C
My new system is Vista. I had the same problems with Norton. I now have McAfee and it works fine. It too is reasonably priced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple solution. Dump Norton and download the free version of AVG. AVG catches more stuff, yes even the free version, and it is cheap, Free. Oh, the free version last for a Year.

Last edited by 4xbear; 07/14/07. Reason: AVG Subscription length

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Restore, as per UtahLefty, to a couple days before the thing started acting up. Check first and copy to disk anything important, like e-mails, received after "restore to" date. Works like a charm, costs nothing, and is what "Restore" function is designed to do.

Wayne

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
System restore did nothing!!

Kept saying nothing has changed on system. Went back to well beyuond when the trouble began.

I have noticed that if I turn off my Norton firewall it still shows on but with Mcafee firewall protection, so I think Mcafee product is fouling up my puter....It was on it for a free 30- trial or some such mess when I bought it, I immediately put Norton on because that is what I've used and trust.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Norton AV (and all their security stuff) is a royal PITA, slows your system down and I just won't use it exactly for reasons such as you are now experiencing.

Lefty's suggestion to run RESTORE is as good as any and may be the quickest fix. Run it, make sure all works, then do an Norton AV update.

I use SpySweeper AntiSpyware and ESET NOD32 antivirus, both rank #1 in various reviews. They have small footprints and do not reduce system performance much at all.

I've replaced Norton on numerous machines and made everyone happy.

For even more added security, you can get a virtualization program called GreenBorder, however Google just bought them and it's temporarily off the market.....Google will probably bring it out for free soon. Great program...NOTHING gets on your computer with it.

MM

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a huge +1 for the Norton products being a 'hog' and slowing systems down immensely ... I've got the big Norton 'suite' on my laptop with the internet security, antivirus protection, and email spam protection ... it came with the PC, which is why I have it instead of a different 'protection' software ...

I'm thinking it's time to ditch it and either get McAfee or AVG ...

-WGM-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

Just read your last post stating that RESTORE did nothing....hard to believe.

Did I understand correctly that you are running BOTH Norton AV & Mcafee?

The two won't co-exist and run properly..........

If all else fails, uninstall Norton AV (and Mcafee if you have that too) and re-install only one if you feel comfortable doing it.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very few antivirus programs will coexist running at the same time. Turn one off if you intend to run the other is the usual course.

Try running a standalone like Norman Malware Cleaner 2007.06.20 ( http://majorgeeks.com/Norman_Malware_Cleaner__d5450.html ) or downloading an antispyware program like Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5 beta ( http://majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_Tools_Beta_d5396.html ) and see what they do. If they don't get what's up, get back to us. There are many other good, new options available.

You're a long way from being defeated.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WGM,

The sooner you ditch it, the happier you'll be. Norton's Suite is VERY expensive too.

Here are a couple of links to resources you might review when you have time.

Antivirus / AntiSpyware Guide

NOD 32 Review

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,368
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.