Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Harleys are what they are. If the powers that be wanted them to mimic other bikes they would have a crank pin for each piston Instead of a single pin knife and fork configuration. And they would fire 360* apart in an equal/balanced crank degree timings. Instead of firing 315 degrees apart with a 405 degree gap in between. That’s what makes them a "Harley".

And I agree, the saturated and constant accessory marketing hype gets tiresome to me. But there a lot of folks that absolutely eat it up. That can’t even ride without dressing the part.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Earlier post:
"... If you can't enjoy riding any motorcycle, you ain't doing it right."

With the 2009 changes their handling improved appreciably. They don't want to "balance" their engine. That at idle vibration is purposeful and it disappears just as soon as you roll on the throttle.

IMO you are spot on:

Also, you or someone (?) said, some who badmouth Harley's haven't had one.
I've witnessed that HERE on the 'fire' before. Some make claims that are NOT TRUE, they just parrot what they've heard.

Maybe ?, Could be ?, jealousy is part of that ?

Check out the 2012 and newer XR 1200s, 200+ mph - < Clocked on cam >

Last edited by jwall; 11/15/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by gene270
harley owns the big twin market in the us with roughly fifty percent with all others combined to make the rest up....so surely there are going to be more issues there

yes with their 100 year old engine design

That's some funny chit right there. "100 year old design"

Nearly every gun in my vault is an over 100 year old design. Half the appliances in the house, same. Phuqk, auto transmissions offered on any scale are 81 YO this year, passenger car fuel injection is about 80 YO, the AR-15 is 64. So what is H/D thinking? Gee.

they do not have overhead cams. the idiotic design of one cylinder behind the other means the back cylinder runs a lot hotter. japs position engine where all 4 cylinders get air. every year or two jap engines improve with more horsepower in the same size engine. in fact a 500cc jap bike now would blow away a Harley . would you compare a 2 speed chevy trans from 1965 to a 6 speed tranny? if I had access to the tons and train loads of money poured into the AR the powder bullets twist rate for 40 years other people would have developed a mind controlled laser gun

Are you a dumbass in real life or do you just play one on the inter web?

instead of acting like a baby with soiled diapers tell me where I am wrong. a 500cc jap bike will blow away a harley
BTW is this you?

Attached Images
28aq1lc-e1566110160355.jpg (28.66 KB, 174 downloads)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your rationale is moot. apples and oranges. Do you think that the japs don’t make horizontally opposed vtwins too?

And no, that’s not me. None of my bikes have Harley Davidson on them.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 11/14/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My thoughts exactly. If you can't enjoy riding any motorcycle, you ain't doing it right.

Agreed. I've had bikes from Ducati to Excelsior Henderson, from Aprilia to Suzuki, from Kawasaki to Triumph. I enjoyed them all for what they were.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by benchman
. AMF really messed up. They are a lot better now. I wager most that bad mouth them, haven't owned one. .
Another spot-on comment. The AMF years have been difficult for Harley to overcome.

AMF saved the company.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
They have NOT done a lot of thinking if they can't figure how to balance an engine. Krisake, John Deere figured it out over 100 years ago.

Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.
But, they do make a lot of noise.

Actually handles pretty good. Very light touch and stable. I'll tell you what handled like a hay wagon - the Honda 750 sohc and Kawasaki Z1. Yuck. Anyway, they are most assuredly not a race bike . I'll give you that. The street ain't a racetrack, either. Way too many variables to really put the hammer down safely. Dandy that your bike will do 200 and lean to 45 degrees. Not a lot of opportunities to actually use it. Unless of course you don't give a crap when you smack the soccer mom after you miss your apex and cross the center line...

Ya got that right! A Z1 almost killed me on my 26th birthday when it developed a high speed wobble at 105 mph. Damned frames were hinged in the middle.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
They have NOT done a lot of thinking if they can't figure how to balance an engine. Krisake, John Deere figured it out over 100 years ago.

Couple that with their handling like a frigg' n hay wagon.
But, they do make a lot of noise.

Actually handles pretty good. Very light touch and stable. I'll tell you what handled like a hay wagon - the Honda 750 sohc and Kawasaki Z1. Yuck. Anyway, they are most assuredly not a race bike . I'll give you that. The street ain't a racetrack, either. Way too many variables to really put the hammer down safely. Dandy that your bike will do 200 and lean to 45 degrees. Not a lot of opportunities to actually use it. Unless of course you don't give a crap when you smack the soccer mom after you miss your apex and cross the center line...

Ya got that right! A Z1 almost killed me on my 26th birthday when it developed a high speed wobble at 105 mph. Damned frames were hinged in the middle.

Don’t forget the Suzuki Hayabusa, for all their hype and acclaim they weren’t called the "Ditch Witch" for nothing.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
2018 Street Glide and 2019 Ultra Limited in the stable. No problems at all.

I've owned 10 Harleys over the years and the only one that gave me minor problems was the 1987 Sportster 1200. It vibrated so bad that bulbs blew and parts cracked. It also stretched the chain too much. Had to be adjusted at least once a week. A conversion to belt final drive cured both problems.

I seem to love what some folks love to hate, (or are jealous of).

ie; My favorite motorcycles are Harley-Davidsons (I've had Japanese and British bikes too).
my favorite 1911s and rifles are Kimbers (I also have SA, Colt and Dan Wesson 1911s and many other rifle brands).
my favorite scopes are Leupolds (multiple other brands at one time or another).

Do I need some sort of therapy?? smile

You definitely need therapy! smile

Like motorcycles or anything on two wheels? Please check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaLdyriBKNsUtpgNh1-g6w
Thanks and hope you subscribe!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tdbob
Hardly Ableson was never known for their reliability.
laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno... All bikes can be reliable - or not.. Luck of the draw.. After owning British, Japanese and HDs I guess I've been lucky.. Only the Triumphs ('70 & '72 Trident) were a bit iffy due to the dang carb ticklers that always seemed to either leak or flood the carbs.. Little triangular plastic pos part that any owner of the bikes always kept a few spares on hand.. None of 'em ever left me stranded except for just one time one of my Kawasaki Voyager 1300s wouldn't start at some parking lot.. Bought a length of wire at a nearby hardware store and began checking current flow.. Traced it down to the stop/start switch on the handlebar.. Cut the wires, spliced 'em temporarily and it worked just fine.. The switch was about $5 IIRC.. Other than that, ALL the bikes I've had have just plain worked when needed.. My experiences on motorcycles dates back to 1968 - FWIW.. I've got 52 years in w/o a single crash or laydown.. Hope to continue another ten or so before I probably have to give it up.. THAT - will be a sad day indeed.. There's just nothing like being on two wheels... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve never owned a Harley. I’ve owned a Gold Wing and it was a joy. Never had to turn a screw on it; it was exceptionally reliable. I also had two VTX-1800’s at the same time, a ‘T’model and an ‘F’ model. I loved those bikes, those big V-Twins were torque monsters. I think I liked them better than any bikes I’ve ever had. They were also exceptionally reliable; never had any maintenance issues at all, ever. That said, I really like the Street Glide...that basic bagger style appeals to me more than any Harley I’ve seen. I came close to getting one a couple of years ago, but I just couldn’t justify the coin it woulda took to get it. Still like em’. A lot.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Harley certainly seems to have fallen a bit from its hay days. In corporate health, not reliability.

They honestly just dont make anything that really appeals to me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
I really like the Street Glide...that basic bagger style appeals to me more than any Harley I’ve seen. I came close to getting one a couple of years ago, but I just couldn’t justify the coin it woulda took to get it. Still like em’. A lot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s the one...! Sure do like em’. Awesome ride aalf.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
EEEgads an AMF!

Owned 5 years, never a problem.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
That’s the one...! Sure do like em’. Awesome ride aalf.

Thanks....actually have had two of them.

Sadly both are gone.......kinda accidently retired from riding unfortunately ....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess all the "americans" here forgot that in the early 80's HD went crying to Reagan for a bailout. they talked him into putting a big tax on any Jap bike over 750cc's. I looked at a new Kawasaki 1000 and the salesman called me and said if you want it get it before the add $1500 to it. all the flag waving "american" harley guys dont talk about the communist bailout they got. they may even ask for another one.
I rode with one harley my friend had an AMF junk box. after 30 miles the chain would almost be rubbing on the road. we tied a milk box to the bike and got so good at adjusting the chain it was like a race car pit stop. we were on a highway doing 75 on a hot day got off and waited for a long light with a lot of traffic. I heard his pistons going up and down told him shut it off. it overheated bad I towed it to a 7-11 we waited a half hour and it was OK

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Oh, you mean like the hundreds if not thousands of embargo's put on import goods by every president that's not a commie. Those embargos?

Yes, H/D asked for one & got it. Reagan gave them x years. H/D got their game on, recovered from AMF, offered new models, picked up their quality & ask Reagan to drop the embargo that still had time left on it. H/D then told the Japs to bring it on & even built a mildly stated special edition for the occasion named the Fatboy, which was derived from 2 names, fat man & little boy...........hint. That embargo?

Or, you talking about the embargo on Jap trucks to help................ BMW I guess.

I was going to offer you a few more, but when I looked back at your thread & read "I heard the pistons going up & down" my typing can only get worse from LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

Bbbbut, but, wtf was the "milk box" for?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gunzo
EEEgads an AMF!

Owned 5 years, never a problem.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just stay out of the way of any bowling balls and you’ll be alright! laugh

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 12 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.