Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Took my little 9" X 9.5" X 12" wood stove I have for my Artic Oven have never used it. Outside temp 6 F fired it up. 580 F should work.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That will run you out of an ao10 at 15 degrees ambient. Great litte stove.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Double post

Last edited by cwh2; 11/18/20.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Took my little 9" X 9.5" X 12" wood stove I have for my Artic Oven have never used it. Outside temp 6 F fired it up. 580 F should work.

seen a few different versions of those, kinda neat

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe in good bags. A good bag will keep you warm all night.

Therefore I only need heat before going to bed & while getting up & getting dressed

A peak 1 mini lantern works well in an arctic oven for these needs. Provide you vent some.

Anything from a snow peak itsy bitsy stove

To wood burning stove depending upon size & makeup of your shelter

Burning all night long ? I don’t see the point. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Use enough gun, but use enough bag too.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Therefore I only need heat before going to bed & while getting up & getting dressed

i think many adopt that philosophy

Last edited by sse; 11/19/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like John Havards idea of propane stove with a USB fan. I use a little 80mm 3-speed USB fan in the tent with a small Ti woodstove. I don't use his Anker battery pack, but I have a bunch of Milwaukee M-18 cordless tools and batteries. They make a little USB power adapter for those... I leave the fan run all night, even when the fire dies out. A little air movement really keeps the condensation down, along with drying wet clothes a lot faster. One battery will run that little fan all night, every night on a 5 day hunt. I've never tried to see just how many hours total, it will go.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don, we had 3 full days of "weather" when we were tipi-bound all day. Probably ran the little fan for 8 hours or so each of those three days. Then another 11 days where we ran the fan about 1 hour while we coffee'd up and in the evening about 2 hours while we ate and had a toddy. Over the 14-day hunt that Anser battery ran the fan for at least 30 hours.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John
How noisy are the propane jets?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kkalaska:
Whose Ti stove is that in your picture?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
iron bender, the propane stove and fan were almost noiseless. You could hear the "whoomp" when the burner lit but the system was very quiet. This prototype had two 20,000 BTU burners/valve assemblies but we never even thought about lighting the second burner. Next year's titanium propane stove will only have one 20KBTU burner.

Increasing "residence time" of the heat in the body of the stove and then using the heat exchanger tubes and fan to drive that heat into the tent/tipi just makes too much sense and really increases the amount of heat you get into your structure per pound of propane. I have a very nice custom-designed titanium wood stove that I had Don Kevilus build for me, but wood stoves cannot have as tortuous of a path since they have to draw adequately to exhaust properly.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
John, your developments are very interesting to me. I like the benefits of the propane stove but it's efficiency issues are noted. I put a damper in my stove pipe and use a small battery operated fan attached to the top of the tipi pole. These efforts helped, but your improvements are very interesting. Please keep us informed!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Docbill bought my Artic Oven used stove was with it , no markings on the stove it looks like lightweight steel as there is surface rust. Probably stove sold by Alaska Tent and tarp. Non folding nice little stove.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/category-s/2023.htm

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/19/20.

kk alaska

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, John.
I have a 2-burner propane forge and it roars.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I believe in good bags. A good bag will keep you warm all night.

A peak 1 mini lantern works well in an arctic oven for these needs. Provide you vent some.

Anything from a snow peak itsy bitsy stove

To wood burning stove depending upon size & makeup of your shelter

Burning all night long ? I don’t see the point. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Use enough gun, but use enough bag too.

That's pretty much how I do it. I don't use or need heat when I sleep. My bag is rated for 0* F and I have been comfortable in it at slightly colder temps. I wear long johnsns, wool socks, and a wool beanie when I sleep in the cold. I only need heat when I initially wake up and start crawling out of the bag to get dressed.

I use a Brunton isobutane backpacker lantern for that. Just stick an arm out the bag, turn on the fuel, hit the ignition button and in a couple minutes the tent is comfortable. I have doors on both sides so I crack a zipper on the bottom on one side and the crack the top on the other creating a cross draft.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with "take enough bag", yet a few minutes of toasty morning and evening feels pretty good. The older I get, the colder I seem to get.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I heat the tent, I can get the wife and kid to moose camp for 10 days. Probably not happening if we rely on good sleeping bags. I must confess, I don't hate it either.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I ordered this tent to try with the half enclosed side. Going to try it in our winter weather with my small stove. Pomoly TP style tent free shipping including Alaska

https://www.pomoly.com/HEX-Plus-Camping-Hot-Tent-with-Wood-Stove-Jack-4-6-Person-p379436.html

Tired of our wet fall weather and no way to dry out if I am tent camping I want dry heat. Many years ago my bud did not show up with tent heater in mid-September, froze early lots of stranded hunter's, lakes froze. My boots froze, could not put them on lived in my hip boots just to stay warm.

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/24/20.

kk alaska

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
If I heat the tent, I can get the wife and kid to moose camp for 10 days. Probably not happening if we rely on good sleeping bags. I must confess, I don't hate it either.

Precisely why I take a bucket potty with a special tiny tent ... well played!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I ordered this tent to try with the half enclosed side. Going to try it in our winter weather with my small stove. Pomoly TP style tent free shipping including Alaska

https://www.pomoly.com/HEX-Plus-Camping-Hot-Tent-with-Wood-Stove-Jack-4-6-Person-p379436.html

Kurt I want to see your review of this.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.