Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I just bought a Ruger Suoer Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag just in case I get to go moose / bear hunting in Alaska in the next few years. Where is the best place to carry it. Strong side belt holster will interfere with carrying rifle with sling. Chest holster will interfere with binoculars. I’m thinking cross draw belt holster or tanker type holster. Any and all suggestions / recommendations / advice welcome.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like a chest holster. Diamond D Guides Choice. These are pretty adjustable, you can even carry them under your arm. I've also used a Pistol Packaging set up when I carried something bigger. I bought the bandalero and had a holster made for it, for the gun I like to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I carry my Python in a shoulder (chest?) holster. I carried the Blackhawk strong side hip.

Last edited by las; 11/13/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry in a Guide's Choice with a bandoleer and a speed loader pouch. I modified the attaching of the speedloader pouch by punching a hole on the back of it and attaching it to the chest strap with an extra leather screw I ordered as spares with the holster. It keeps the speedloader pouch horizontal where I can open and withdraw the speedloader with my right hand.

One of the guys I work with bought a chest holster from Alien Gear. It works well too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The diamond d or, if you want a gun on your belt get a simply rugged sourdough crossdraw. It sits the gun high enough that it works with a pack waist belt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Strong side belt

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a Diamond D Guides Choice as well for my .500 S&W. I often carry a bino pack and the pistol rides just below it. So, more on my belly than my chest when carrying the binos.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Redhawk is strong side hip. 7.5” SBH is crossdraw hip, mostly so it doesn’t interfere while horseback.

Thinking seriously of going to kydex chest so it is always external, even in rain.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Simultaneously I assume.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Simultaneously I assume.

Of course. I’m a firm believer in having a primary gun, a secondary gun, and a tertiary gun.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...just sitting here grinning...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by cwh2
Simultaneously I assume.

Of course. I’m a firm believer in having a primary gun, a secondary gun, and a tertiary gun.

I just use that pattern when I'm in the city. laugh laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I should get a picture.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have good strong side and cross draw holsters and good gun belts to support the carrying of full sized hand guns. The best way I have found to carry a heavy revolver is the Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster. I have carried my S&W .44 Mountain Revolver with the skinny 4" barrel in one for many years. It does not interfere with my binoculars which are always around my neck when hunting. The Ruger you have is a big and heavy revolver and carrying any such revolver in a strong side hip holster with a pack and rifle and rain gear may make you wish for a smaller revolver or none at all.

I usually don't want to pack a revolver if I have my .338 or 30-06 or 45-70 in my hands and I have hunted in Alaska for over 50 years. I have met no one that was "saved" from animal attacks or scope failure because they relied on a back up hand gun.

I do often have a small S&W J frame .22 Kit Gun in my back pack, just in case I need a grouse getter. My 2 cents.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pharmvet
I just bought a Ruger Suoer Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag just in case I get to go moose / bear hunting in Alaska in the next few years. Where is the best place to carry it. Strong side belt holster will interfere with carrying rifle with sling. Chest holster will interfere with binoculars. I’m thinking cross draw belt holster or tanker type holster. Any and all suggestions / recommendations / advice welcome.

If you're packing a Moose/Bear rifle then forget the handgun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
where ever you decide to carry it, practice drawing and firing it.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/16/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I dont know why this is such a complicated question. It's very simple considering the type of hunt.

If 100% backpacking, just carry a hunting rifle. Also carry a friend to run camp guard while gutting an animal.

If otherwise, carry a sidearm, for those times you are away from the long gun. The diamond D allows for a variety of carry positions to allow for binos no problem.

For when cabin/atv/utv hunting, I have no problem with a long gun, a pistol, and a camp carbine.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,662
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.