Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15393947 11/08/20
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't tried any Barns bullets since the original "X" bullets. Then is was recommended that the barrel be cleaned of all gilding metal fouling before using the Barns. Does the same apply now? How about with Hornady's GMX, or Nosler's E-tip?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whose barn are they made in?

I like the Noselers. They got a big pointy beak. And that Joyce Horn-a-day was an ugly broad, but she knew how to keep the doctor away.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Joe,

The TSXs (and all the other "banded" bullets from Barnes) don't have the same fouling problems as the original X's. I shoot them a lot with some gilding-metal fouling in rifle bores, due to shooting a bunch of different handloads in a single rifle for articles, and can't recall any problems.

Hornady and Nosler monolithics are made out of the same gilding metal as most rifle bullet jackets, instead of pure copper like Barnes, so there's normally no problem there either. (Gilding metal is a mild brass, mostly copper with a little zinc.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Oops, dropped the E. Sorry! blush
Thanks John.

"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think they used to spell it that way, cause you couldn't hit a barn with them...but since they went TSX and TTSX banded, they are incomparable. Try Barnes now, you won't be sorry.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Joe
Oops, dropped the E. Sorry! blush
Thanks John.

No offense, meant, Joe. I couldn't resist the opportunity to throw some humor into the thread. These other gentlemen did a fine job of actually answering your question.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
No offense taken. And to ingwe's response, that was the primary reason I quit using them and the copper fouling.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
In my experience, the Barnes TSX bullets are very accurate and drop game quickly. I've also taken 2 cow elk with the old, non-banded X bullets and they worked well too. But they did produce more copper fouling. I haven't tried the polymer tipped TSXs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I was testing for accuracy I would clean the bore to bare metal but this is more out of habit than need.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I think they used to spell it that way, cause you couldn't hit a barn with them...but since they went TSX and TTSX banded, they are incomparable. Try Barnes now, you won't be sorry.

They had a hell of a bad reputation when they first came out. Fouling barrels and "penciling through" critters without expanding. I tried them then and was disgusted on how they fouled the heck out of my barrel. I wouldn't touch anything barnes with a 10 foot pole until this year when I tried the LRX and also loaded up some TSX in my buddies short mag. They sure are accurate and don't foul the barrel like they used to. I'm glad the engineers worked through that problem. Now I think I'll start trying more of them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting how many rifle loonies arrive at a firm conclusion after limited experience.

Within less than a decade after introducing X-Bullets even the original design started working very well, both in accuracy and expansion. That doesn't mean the grooved shank of the TSXs wasn't another improvement, but it also doesn't mean the original design couldn't work very well. It did, once tweaked a little.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my 1st box of 20 Barnes bullets as loaded ammo (think it was PMC brand) at gas station in Eastern MT while on a hunting trip must have been the mid 1980’s. While my reloads with 130 gr Nosler BT would routinely group MOA those .277 X bullets shot patterns. I couldn’t believe how badly they shot in my usually reliable tanger M_77 when I shot them out of curiosity @ the local range.

The TTSX are a huge improvement, getting nice tight groups in that same Ruger but now with a fresh barrel.

We deal in lead, friend.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always interesting how many rifle loonies arrive at a firm conclusion after limited experience.

Within less than a decade after introducing X-Bullets even the original design started working very well, both in accuracy and expansion. That doesn't mean the grooved shank of the TSXs wasn't another improvement, but it also doesn't mean the original design couldn't work very well. It did, once tweaked a little.

Unfortunately Barnes let us do the field testing for the original bullets and I had great problems when they didn't expand. Especially because at the time they were just about the most expensive bullets out there. I used them in a 338 and a 270 for one pretty full season in Wyoming, Texas and Oklahoma getting very spotty results to say the least and the longest tracking/game recovery issues I have ever experienced. I also put more bullets per animal through various animals than at any other time of my life. The Speer Horcor was a far better bullet than the early Barnes X bullets. Unlike others I had no trouble finding accurate loads with them. This soured me on Barnes for a long time though I have used some of the TTSX and Match Burners with good results lately.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have only taken three deer with Barnes bullets. I was using TTSX in my 30-06 150 grain bullet. They grouped very well in my rifle, and the deer all fell over dead.
I think, they are what they are, a good hunting bullet.
I have loaded other grain weights and different calibers. They did a good job punching holes in paper, I just haven't killed any game with those loads.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got Barnes bullets I plan on loading in my .30 cal rifles and my .338 WM. I tried factory Barnes ammo a few years back in several of my rifles. It shot great in my .30-06 and .308, shot it in my WSMs and it was horrible. This year, my son took a caribou using 168 gr. TTSX factory ammo out my .30-06. I was not there hunting with him, but he said the caribou went straight down on a 120 yard shot. I can shoot my .30-06 with factory loaded Barnes and the only difference is the 168 gr. Shoots 1” higher than the 180 gr ammo. I hope I can get it to shoot well in my .300WSM and others I plan to load for it by the time caribou season opens next August.

Last edited by Hudge; 11/10/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Barnes TTSX have been phenomenally accurate for me in several calibers.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use the Barnes .451 275 gr TSX for whitetail deer with drop in their track results. One deer had a womb entry hole almost as my fist. The bullet ended on the opposite of the deer under the skin. Others had large wombs but not like that one...

USMC Distinguished Marksman (Rifle)
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
CMP Distinguished .22 Pistol
Average hunter, at best... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta love large womb entry holes!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the TSX in .25, .284, .30, .375 and have never lost an animal with one. Over a hundred critters taken so I would say that is at least something. They liked to be pushed fast. They are generally very accurate and laugh at bone. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 9point3
Gotta love large womb entry holes!!!

This right here, cracked me up!

Also, I plan on testing the Barnes lrx out this year. Was having trouble getting consistent groups in my 270. Tried a lot of bullets and powders. Finally found a load that’s repeatable around 3/4” with the 129 lrx and rl-26 at 3150fps. Looking foreward to putting some copper into some fur!

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.