Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by arky65

Beware there is no end to these BS scammers.

TRUE!

But to be fair that is only because perpetrators are not summarily executed when identified.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why answer calls from unknown numbers? Fugg that.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Gus
the phone isn't answered if i don't recognize the named/number. and you can mute the ringer.

100%,

I tell folks that my I-phone is for my convenience, not theirs!

ya!

GWB

This.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A couple of days ago I get a call on the land line that I just got as a package deal. I don't have the number memorized nor have I given it out to anyone. The person with a heavy foreign accent says that he is with Microsoft. He says that there is a problem with my computer and they need to fix it. I hang up thinking Microsoft is a tech company and not calling on the phone. He calls me back and asked me why I hanged up on him.. I told him he was not with Microsoft and hang up again. The phone rings a third time. I just pick up the phone and hang up. About 45 minutes later I get a call on my cell phone. This time it is a recording saying that it is Apple and there is a security risk with one of my devices. I wish this was a person instead of a recording. If I had a person claiming to be with Apple I would have asked them which device? the Samsung telephone or the Dell computer and why would that concern Apple?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I told them I only have cash and I'm disabled and can't leave the property. So I give my business adress and tell them to pick it up there. They never showed up

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by arky65
Latest scam, got a call from my electric company (Entergy), disconnect in 30 minutes. Get online while I have them on the phone, check cleared a few days ago. Spidey senses on alert now. Lady give me some BS and pass me off to supervisor. Supervisor James, “we have no record of payment past four months. Supervisor James instructed, must go to a Dollar General to make payment could not do it over phone. That’s when the radar goes off the chart.

Tell James, this is a scam the line goes dead. Called Entergy, my account is indeed paid up and in good standing. Entergy, tells me they are aware of the scam, gave them the requested phone numbers scammer called me from.

This scam will get some people I am sure.
Beware there is no end to these BS scammers.

Same EXACT scam call yesterday afternoon!!!

Calling E today and give them THAT #

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I never pickup if I don't know the number."

You never get calls from people you know, on numbers you don't?

I hate telemarketers.
Scammers even more.
Most today are closer to scammers, at the least.

However, is it really that bad.

Sometimes I just hang up.

If I'm feeling froggy, i play.

Have been known to just say "F' U" and hang up.

And you whizz bang trend chasers.
"I, don't have a landliners".

Really?
I get more scam calls on my cell than the land line.
And it's a working/convience cell. Only in my pocket if I need it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Stop complaining......it's reparations.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got one the other day claiming to be ATF or DEA, I don’t remember. Anyhow, apparently my personal information was used to pay for a rental car that was found along the border full of drugs, blood, and illegal guns. The only way to clear up the problem was to buy Target gift cards and read them the numbers over the phone. I was driving home from Illinois so I played along for over an hour. I talked to four different people who were supposedly from different federal agencies, one of which was supposedly a supervisor. All gave callback numbers, and the one I tried worked. I’m not sure how anyone would believe that the Feds are taking target gift cards as payment, but they obviously do. I checked it out online and it is one of the most successful scams currently being run. Obviously the elderly make up the bulk of their victims.

https://thehustle.co/blood-drugs-and-an-abandoned-car-how-my-dad-got-scammed/

There is a special place in hell for these [bleep].

------------------------
John
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Money transfer is irreversible, once it's done the money's gone. If you give them your credit card number then you can contest the charge when you figure out it's a scam and get your money back.

I have an older friend that was at my house a couple of months ago with her (also older) boyfriend when she got a voicemail directing her to call a number to avoid getting her bank account locked. It was obvious it was a scam, both I and her boyfriend told her so and said absolutely do not call them back. She agreed but you could see the worry on her face and about 30 minutes later she said "I think I'd better call them". Her boyfriend and I both jumped up and basically had to yell at her to keep her from going to the phone and calling the crooks. Older folks are particularly gullible to scams like this, they tend to believe anything.

Covering all those scams is part of the reason that CC interest charges are 25%. If you can't afford to pay it off every month, you can't afford to have a card.
I have a card scam that I protested a few days ago. It's for AVG anti-virus, $90. I didn't buy it and don't use it. I don't know how they got my CC number but it's been cancelled.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmh3
Got one the other day claiming to be ATF or DEA, I don’t remember. Anyhow, apparently my personal information was used to pay for a rental car that was found along the border full of drugs, blood, and illegal guns. The only way to clear up the problem was to buy Target gift cards and read them the numbers over the phone. I was driving home from Illinois so I played along for over an hour. I talked to four different people who were supposedly from different federal agencies, one of which was supposedly a supervisor. All gave callback numbers, and the one I tried worked. I’m not sure how anyone would believe that the Feds are taking target gift cards as payment, but they obviously do. I checked it out online and it is one of the most successful scams currently being run. Obviously the elderly make up the bulk of their victims.
I've gotten that call a few times and I have fun with it. I tell him that I know what it is about. That a Mexican tried to rob me when I was in Texas and I shot him. That gets the scammer off script but he still tries to keep going. I then tell him we need to hold a conference call with the sheriff and he gets insistent that I must do as he says or a warrant will issue for my arrest. I tell him to hold the line while I get the sheriff on the line and he hangs up.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Okay. Please explain how getting you to go to Dollar General is going to generate any money for the scammer?

Dollar General down here is somehow tied in with FedEx and therefore assumed tied in with some type of payment system.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by jmh3
I've gotten that call a few times and I have fun with it. I tell him that I know what it is about. That a Mexican tried to rob me when I was in Texas and I shot him. That gets the scammer off script but he still tries to keep going. I then tell him we need to hold a conference call with the sheriff and he gets insistent that I must do as he says or a warrant will issue for my arrest. I tell him to hold the line while I get the sheriff on the line and he hangs up.

I LIKE THAT!

NICE WORK...

Any man that will start a conversation with a lie deserves absolutely no truth from you ever.

... and that is about as kind as I get on the topic.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
"I never pickup if I don't know the number."

You never get calls from people you know, on numbers you don't?

I hate telemarketers.
Scammers even more.
Most today are closer to scammers, at the least.

However, is it really that bad.

Sometimes I just hang up.

If I'm feeling froggy, i play.

Have been known to just say "F' U" and hang up.

And you whizz bang trend chasers.
"I, don't have a landliners".

Really?
I get more scam calls on my cell than the land line.
And it's a working/convience cell. Only in my pocket if I need it.

I played with one of those guys a few years ago. We cussed back and forth some but he would not go away.

30 minutes later he ended the call with a thank you very much for teaching me cuss American.

Pretty damn funny.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A lot of times these scammers display rotating phone numbers that are pirated from legitimate sources.

I got the electric company scam last year. It went straight through to recording and gave me 30 minutes to call back a specified number before my utility was supposed to be cut off. I knew it was a scam and called the utility to tell them it was going on.
The gal at the utility company told me not to give them any info...well DuH... I asked her if there would be any issue if I called the number back and give them a boat load of schit? She laughed and said no. That was all it took.

It went like this......

I called the number and gave them a random set of CC numbers for my card, they said it was no good and hung up. I called the number again, same guy (broken english). He hung up on me about 5 or 6 more times. He made a comment about a little dick and to quit calling. Of course I called again, We ended up in and argument about who had the biggest dick! He told me he had a 10" dick, LOL... I told him the only way he would have a 10" dick was if my balls were bouncing off of his chin! laugh ... click, hung up again...
Called back again, got a foreign speaking gal this time, big mistake... we went directly in to panties questions at that point! I think she was enjoying it before she finally hung up!
Then they quite answering the phone... go figure

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Okay. Please explain how getting you to go to Dollar General is going to generate any money for the scammer?
Dollar General down here is somehow tied in with FedEx and therefore assumed tied in with some type of payment system.
Dollar General is hooked up with Western Union. They help poor folks and illegal immigrants send money to others. You put down the cash plus the fee and they transfer it to where ever. Walmart also has a system like that.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My best was playing along with the Indian trying to refund money from my
gas and electric bill. Our address is the local town, which uses Penelec, we have
Rural Electric, and no gas service.

So, I played along and he ask for an address.

Told him my dad is Vietnamese and my name is tough. "I'll spell it".

P-H-U-K

He screamed. "Yeah, and your last name is you. Well F--k You too."

I laughed. "You must know me. Have a nice day."

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
My best was playing along with the Indian trying to refund money from my
gas and electric bill. Our address is the local town, which uses Penelec, we have
Rural Electric, and no gas service.

So, I played along and he ask for an address.

Told him my dad is Vietnamese and my name is tough. "I'll spell it".

P-H-U-K

He screamed. "Yeah, and your last name is you. Well F--k You too."

I laughed. "You must know me. Have a nice day."

I like that, next one to call me I'm going to be Phuq Hu

Last edited by Muffin; 11/21/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gus
the phone isn't answered if i don't recognize the named/number. and you can mute the ringer.

Off subject a bit but that is exactly why I tell my college brain-washed grandkids that the election polls are a fraud....NOBODY answers unknown phone numbers anymore....this is proof to me that there really is a SILENT MAJORITY....

Illegitimi non carborundum

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Years ago, my grandmother called me at work one day. Highly unusual for her. She asked me if I was okay. I answered that I was, and asked why. She said a guy that sounded a lot like me called her, told her I
(he) was in Germany, had been in a wreck and was in serious trouble. I supposedly needed her to wire me 2500 dollars to get home.

I told her it wasn’t me, and she ought to know that, because if I was leaving the US, she would know, and I would never call her asking for money. She agreed that she had considered all of this, and hung up on the guy, but had to call me just to make sure. He sure had her flustered, and my grandma was not someone easily flustered. Wish I could have got hold of the azzwhole and let her have what was left of him when I got done.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.