Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sounds like it's either dirty or your firing pin spring is weak. I'd take it to the gun smith and take the '06 hunting. No way I'd swap bolts and shoot it without a gun smith checking the head space first.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you should get a first clue.

You got that right, Don. He should be taking notes here, not giving advise. Somebody could get hurt.

Hancock,

Headspace is set for a given receiver and bolt when the barrel is chambered. Different bolts may have different length/geometry of lugs, and may interface differently with the receiver, causing a change in headspace. Headspace could be reset for that bolt by extending the chamber with a finish reamer, taking material off the back of the bolt lugs, or by setting back the barrel and rechambering.

Bottom line is, it’s possible for one bolt to close on a GO and not close on a NO-GO, but for another bolt in the same rifle not to do so.

Have you ever re-barreled a rifle? Not put together an AR,
What if the "head space" is off? then what? You stretch a case, similar to fire form,

Think of an AR Build: The barrel sits in the upper and it "head spaced" by a an alignment pin; the bolt is a 2 piece design, mass produced.

Ever been to a gun maker's business, The guns are put to together like sexing machines, vacuum cleaners, or auto mobiles. Assembly line styled.

Go ahead, spend the money on head space gauges - it's you r money,

BTW the gauges for the '06 family is all the same gauge, so make sure you ask for one for '06 and one for a 280, just to be safe.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Since the gauges for the 30.06 and 25/05 (also 280, 270, 35 whelan) are the SAME,"

That's not quite right. The .280 Rem. is a fraction longer to Darwin types cannot load it into a .270. Proper headspace for the .280 would be excess headspace for the 2505..270, 30-06 and .35 Whelen.
Paul B.

Same head space gauge, 308/243/358 are all the same also, But what do I know??

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So, I should swap bolts, or definitely don’t swap bolts, maybe try a Howa bolt, check headspace with some masking tape, buy a few different headspace gauges....one for each-06, stand behind a tree with full body armor and a mask, then pull the trigger with a 20ft rope, and lastly, disinfect the rifle and look for signs of pressure. Sound right? laugh

Last edited by DrGnarr; 11/23/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't do it. It may work but it may cause you more trouble than you'd think. Case separation, rupture, stuck bolt. You wouldn't have one working rifle.

God Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
So, I should swap bolts, or definitely don’t swap bolts, maybe try a Howa bolt, check headspace with some masking tape, buy a few different headspace gauges....one for each-06, stand behind a tree with full body armor and a mask, then pull the trigger with a 20ft rope, and lastly, disinfect the rifle and look for signs of pressure. Sound right? laugh

Maybe stop asking for advice on the Internet from anyone who can type.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by DrGnarr

Maybe stop asking for advice on the Internet from anyone who can type.

Says the man with 4,000 posts.....probably none of which were offering or asking for advice.

I sure hope you were able to see my sarcasm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it several times......

Take one of your pieces of fired brass, knock the primer out, pull the firing pin assembly out of the bolt, and chamber the brass.

Then, take your other bolt, pull the firing pin assembly, and chamber the same piece of brass.

If it closes easier, tape a piece of scotch tape on the base of the case, & trim to fit. Tape is around .002" thick. If it won't chamber with the tape your GTG.

If pressure on closing the bolt is about the same with either bolt, I'd go ahead and use it w/o worry.

Final test would be to fire a round, deprime, and measure headspace, base to datum line on the shoulder, if you have the tools, and compare to brass fired with the original bolt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy way to check.

Trade bolts and chamber a fired 30-06 case with the 25-06 bolt and vice versa.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
Easy way to check.

Trade bolts and chamber a fired 30-06 case with the 25-06 bolt and vice versa.

You think a 30 cal neck is gonna fit in a 25 cal chamber?

IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had IT&D re-barrel a 308 700 Rem. Sent the bolt AFTER this work to AK to have a new bolt handle welded on. USPS lost the bolt on return to me. I bought a new bolt, had the handle welded again then sent the rifle back to IT&D to check headspace. Maybe I was lucky, but headspace was fine. Seems the bolt specs are pretty close on mass produced rifles.

Do as Jordan says or find someone with a headspace guage. I'd prefer the guage route.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wow

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep they are all close. Within thousands of an inch. Which is enough to blow your rifle into toothpicks.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Someone, maybe several someones said "Or just use the 30-06."

That is never a bad idea. If a 25-06 will kill whatever you are hunting, a 30-06 surely will.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Shot today. Went off like it should. Think tearing it down and cleaning everything well did the trick.....until the buck of a lifetime steps out broadside at 75 yards!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 280 headspace gauge is NOT the same as the other '06 based cartridges. Jordan's recommendation to check the headspace with tape is a viable method but I don't recall ever seeing an unaltered 700 where bolts couldn't be interchanged and still be within acceptable limits. I've rebarreled hundreds of them. GD

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 6MMWASP, 25 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,087
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.