Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK

Interesting. I read that just after Robert E. Lee's death in 1870 his 1851 Navy was taken out and fired. All 6 rounds went off; revolver was loaded in 1863 and stayed that way until his death.
Bob

Paul Harrell had one loaded in his safe for like three years and he took it out and shot it. Same result.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for posting the videos, more should watch these.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
revolvers are so reliable that most modern armies are moving back to them.

No kidding! They're busting down doors at Ruger and Smith to replace their issued autos.

Just like revolvers, not all autos are created equal.
S&W's are notorious for their quality, and so are Glocks. The videos showed a quality auto smoking a quality revolver(even the base model 1911 kept rolling with a little work) when it comes to reliability in dealing with crud you would find in the field.

The obvious takeaway was the Glock blowing the doors off the Smith. However the important takeaway? When the G17 choked, the ability to get the gun running again without sloshing in water to fix malfunctions should stand out to even the most ardent revolver supporter, unfortunately some wheel guys still have issues with reality.

Yes, quality autos can puke, but if they do you have many more options to fix it while still in the fight where as a revolver is extremely limited in that regard,....unless you carry a bucket of water on your belt.!? and even then...

Last edited by SBTCO; 11/27/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the forgoing is true for service size handguns but I think not so much for small autos compared to things like the J frame Smith & Wesson and the like. For them it might still be 5 for sure.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just read about how Wild Bill Hickok used to go out every day and empty his Navy revolvers in practice, then clean and reload them so he’d be carrying fresh charges. Cap and ball guns were probably more reliable than early cartridge revolvers when properly maintained, especially the rimfire ones.
Cap & Ball revolvers are high maintenance. They require a good deal of lubrication, and if you're going to keep them loaded for long periods of time, you have the "worry" of if that lubrication has managed to find its way into the chambers...because it happens. So since Wild Bill was in the gunfighting business, and every day is certainly overkill; it probably did give him peace of mind knowing that of all the problems he may encounter, THAT won't be one of them.

Interesting. I read that just after Robert E. Lee's death in 1870 his 1851 Navy was taken out and fired. All 6 rounds went off; revolver was loaded in 1863 and stayed that way until his death.
Bob

Hard to figure Lee having all 6 chambers loaded.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Most of the forgoing is true for service size handguns but I think not so much for small autos compared to things like the J frame Smith & Wesson and the like. For them it might still be 5 for sure.

That may have been true in the time of the Walther PPK/s and the ilk. Once we got the G43, LC9, Shield and XDS, that all went away. I carried a J every day for years. I went over to the 43 a few years ago and haven't looked back.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"That may have been true in the time of the Walther PPK/s and the ilk."
Now that you mention it, yeah, exactly. Me and bunch of others were buying all those Airweight 38's in a landscape without
those three guns you mentioned.

"Hard to figure Lee having all 6 chambers loaded."
You ain't figgerin' on all them damn yankees runnin' around.

Last edited by 5thShock; 12/02/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That may have been true in the time of the Walther PPK/s and the ilk. Once we got the G43, LC9, Shield and XDS, that all went away. I carried a J every day for years. I went over to the 43 a few years ago and haven't looked back.
Yep, my LCP retired my J frame. For the first time in perhaps 30 years, I don't own a J frame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Even before that. IME, it went away a couple decades earlier when the Kahr came on the scene.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Even before that. IME, it went away a couple decades earlier when the Kahr came on the scene.
Yeah, Kahr was the first but they didn't have the production capacity to make the switch to 9mm widespread. Keltec was earlier too, but they had their problems.

Last edited by UPhiker; 12/02/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Yeah, Kahr was the first but they didn't have the production capacity to make the switch to 9mm widespread. Keltec was earlier too, but they had their problems.

Yep.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (308ld, 808outdoors, 35, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 3 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.