Print Thread
Hop To
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an old 1907 sling that came with a 03 Springfield that's in need of some serious attention. My approach would be to clean it with saddle soap, let it dry, and then treat it with olive oil. The reason for latter is that I was told years ago that neats foot oil would open up cracks in old leather and olive oil wouldn't. I don't do this kind of thing too often and figured the gunsmithing forum would be the best place to ask for help. Any and all advice is much appreciated and thanks.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I clean vintage leather items with Lexol and treat with Fiebing's Saddle Oil. Hard to understand why anyone would put salad dressing on a sling.

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I clean vintage leather items with Lexol and treat with Fiebing's Saddle Oil. Hard to understand why anyone would put salad dressing on a sling.

Only because I was told olive oil it didn't open up cracks in the the finish of old leather like neats foot oil would do. That's why, but perhaps that's "old school." I'll keep the salad dressing to my salad and thank you for your advice.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If dirty clean with Murphy's oil and let dry completely. Then instead of olive oil or neatsfoot oil, use Lexol's Neatfoot, not plain Lexol.. It use to be called Lexol NF. It binds the leather fibers and is not sticky like straight neatsfoot. Use a small brush to apply and then let it soak in out in the sun. Then wipe off excess.People started to use olive oil because it would not turn rancid, but it has no redeeming qualities of protecting or rejuvenating leather.

Neatsfoot oil was noted for hastening the deterioration of cotton thread that was used on saddles and tack years ago.Nylon thread stopped that.

https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Le...mp;psc=1&refRID=6BFM4ZQ3HVF5XMD1P5FH

It comes in a spray bottle too.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/22/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A veteran leatherworker suggested Fiebing's Saddle OIl because unlike neatsfoot oil it is non-staining. Makes sense cause if you use it on your saddle you wouldn't want it all over your butt !

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Olive oil, canola oil pretty much any vegetable oil. Just put it on with a soft cloth and don't be stingy. Let set over night, and buff with another dry cloth the next day.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use lots of lexol stuff...

If worried about weather/ moisture tearing it up I might try a thin application of sno seal and a heat gun. try to get it all in the leather and not have any excess.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A veteran leatherworker suggested Fiebing's Saddle OIl because unlike neatsfoot oil it is non-staining. Makes sense cause if you use it on your saddle you wouldn't want it all over your butt !

I believe he was meant it does not darken the leather.The Lexol Neatsfoot does not either.

Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Olive oil, canola oil pretty much any vegetable oil. Just put it on with a soft cloth and don't be stingy. Let set over night, and buff with another dry cloth the next day.

Vegetable oil will turn rancid over time

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a good grade of wax after the cleaning and preservative. I usually use Obenaufs but it will darken light colored leather. Shoe polish or any wax will help turn water and keep the leather pliable.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks. guys, I appreciate the advice.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,402 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.