Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well....ALLLRIGHT !

Yea ! for her and y'all. I like 'odd' racks.

Jerry

ps: Looks like you married up !!! wink grin

Last edited by jwall; 11/28/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Momma sealed the deal this afternoon in the rain.

We were busy sitting in the rain not seeing anything when she shot her finger out and said “there’s a deer”! I whispered for her to be still and quiet. As I cut my eyes over I saw a set of antlers coming up over the rise about 60 yards. I instantly recognized it as a funky looking buck my dad and I had both seen earlier this year and dubbed him “the Pronghorn”. I told her not to move and to let him walk on out if he would and she wanted him. After a brief staring contest he decided to feed on up the hill and when he put his head down she was able to get her gun up. As soon as he stepped into the open “BOOM” and he ran over the crest of the hill where I heard him pile up and slide down the face on the rocks.

We moseyed over and there he was, shot perfectly and dead as free lunch about 20 yards from where she shot him. He’s an odd character, heavy bases and pretty good brow tines but like his antlers are stunted above the brows. He’s bigger bodied than the buck I shot last Saturday, certainly not a yearling basket rack. She thinks he’s pretty neat and we’ll euro him to go on the corner shelf in the living room.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She used my Pre64 FWT 30/06 tonight because for some reason it is the only thing I have anymore that has scope caps. Ammo was some 1980’s vintage S&B factory stuff with 150gr SPCE bullets. They lived up to their name as the entry hole was a perfectly round .30 caliber hole, just like a wadcutter through a paper target. Lungs were centered with a 2” hole through them and the exit hole was about 1” diameter. I’m not much of a factory ammo guy or a 150gr 30/06 fan but these seem to work pretty well on this buck and a giant pig I shot a couple years ago.

We’ll get these two worked up and in the freezer before we shoot any does. I’ll probably go hunt when I can with my dad but our rifle season is pretty well concluded in this house. It’s been a good one, we’ve hunted every day of the season so far, made some great memories and seen some great bucks.

Good for Momma!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Great post, damn fine day

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We ended the season by sitting the last day looking for a doe. Saw 5 8 point bucks inside of 75 yards but no does. Good problem to have I say. Most importantly I got to spend another awesome evening with my sidekick. He got in the Halloween candy before we left and he must have eaten 20 Tootsie Rolls while we watched smile.

Pretty good deer season and we made it out all but 4 of the 16 days. Can’t wait for next year.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great story and some fantastic memories for you and your son 👍......Hb

IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great stories and awesome pictures, thank you so much for sharing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just right . 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Smiles !

Smiles !

Smiles !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Nice story!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, this is too cool. Great looking family you've got there - thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great story. Thank you for sharing it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great story. You have been well blessed!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great story , way to go dad and husband. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Friday night found my sidekick and I out at the cabin on the ranch in anticipation for the opener Saturday morning. He HAD to have a fire in the stove, never mind that it was 58deg. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I kept the door propped open so we didn’t turn into raisins and we played a few hands of dominoes to pass the time. Little fellow is getting pretty good at counting the spots and knowing that only 5,10,15 scores as he puts it. My dad came out and played a hand with us but went on home as he had a funeral to attend in the morning. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
After much protest following a long fitful night of trying to keep a 5 year old in his sleeping bag, on the bunk, not too warm, not too cold, not too scary, and not too thirsty. I rousted him up and talked him into eating some chocolate donuts and having some orange juice. By shooting light we were out the door and on our way to our sitting spot for the morning. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We saw bucks chasing does all over the place on our 1/2 mile hike to our morning post, a good sign but no keepers. We watched a big bunch of does feeding for a while and got to see 3 raghorn bull elk doing their thing for half an hour or so. We decided to make a loop and head for the cabin at about 9:30 or so. As I peeked over a rise down to the bottom below I saw a doe come cautiously out of a big thicket. We quickly sat down and got the glasses on her and where she’d come from. Sure enough here come an old gray buck hot on her trail. Following close behind him was the next generation, an obviously young 8 pointer with heavy palmated antlers, he will be a hammer next year if he makes it.

The doe went into a briar patch and laid down as old Wilfred made a line of 4 scrapes along the edge of a hackberry grove. The younger buck stood watching from a safe distance. After tending his scrapes the bigger buck disappeared into the briars with the doe.

Me and young son used this opportunity to get behind the hill and close the distance by about 100 yards. When we crept back over the top there were no deer in sight and I was a little bit scared they’d glimpsed us or heard us and shagged out. We didn’t have to wait long to find out. I guess the smaller buck had tried to make a move and when he entered the bramble the doe came squirting out quickly followed by the bigger buck.

I’d decided after passing several nice bucks last year on the opener and never catching back up with them that I would shoot one on the first day this year if I had the opportunity on an old heavy buck. Seeing him head toward an opening I assumed the prone position and switched the safety off on my 257Wby. When he stepped into the opening at about 250 yards I pasted the crosshair on his armpit and squeezed one off. I didn’t hear it hit but it felt good. As we hung tight I assured the boy that I was pretty certain we had him. Pretty soon here came the doe up the hill towards us to pass through a saddle about 40 yards away. The young buck made a cautious circle all the way around the briar patch looking and stomping as he went, satisfied he came at a lope following the doe like he was on a string.

We made our way down to find one very dead old gray buck lying about 30 feet from where I shot him. Another victim of the 85gr Ballistic Tip at warp speed. It’s been a while since I’ve killed one bigger than this, though he’s not a monster. I’m pretty proud of him though especially since I got to share it with my 5 year old partner. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We still have a bunch of doe tags plus trying to get Momma on a buck, and if we get lucky we might find a cow elk to put up for the winter.

Good luck to the rest of the Okies out there.

Good times right there!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.