Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
There is NO WAY I would ever want to depend on a .357 magnum for bear defense. NO WAY!

Give me at least a 44 magnum or larger.

Given the right bullets, I don't see an issue with a 357, particularly on black bears, even huge, fat black bears. I'm far better at fast follow-ups shooting super-heavyweight bullets in 357 than I am shooting larger, more powerful rounds. And with the right bullet, the 357 has plenty of penetration. I long ago came to the conclusion that if you pick the right bullet, and can put it where it needs to go, you can do just fine with far less firepower than most would believe. I keep on repeatedly proving it to myself and those I hunt with.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would you rather get slammed by a black dick or a white dick. Now there are different sizes of both.....not everyone is built the same. A heavy 357 might do better than a light 44. As always, it depends on the operator.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember someone's mantra 'round these parts.....

Placement, boolit, cartridge.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have bear hunted POW, now elk/deer hunt in griz country, and a lot of training indicates the EFFECTIVE transition from long gun to handgun is sketchy under pressure.

Have to agree with MOST of the posts here. If you don't kill it with the long gun, chances are it will be eating you before you can do anything other than die.

HOWEVER...I do know a young man that saved his own bacon last spring while shed hunting up East Fork. Had a .(borrowed) 357 mag, was attacked in creek bottom by sow griz, she was happily chewing away when he managed to put a couple 357 mag rounds into her, one of which took took her out. I know the young man that was with him, the G&F Officer that was first on scene, and saw the photos of his extensive injuries. He is one lucky guy.

So, take from that what you will. I always consider the handgun a last resort, just like that young man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What can you hit with I'd say. Probably something like Buffalo Bore HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN with the 180 grain cast. The need being to drive deeply through bones into vitals. I look at the front of a bear, lots of heavy bone and tight muscle.

This is and area I don't know. Giant black bear. But I think I'd prefer a 41 mag with a 265 grain WFN cast. Like Buffalo Bore HEAVY .41 MAGNUM OUTDOORSMAN.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge Co. both make "heavy" .357 loads with 180 gr. hard cast FN bullets that would be the cat's meow for what you are planning.

You may need a taller front sight with 180's. My .357 FA needed a taller one. FA knew exactly what I needed and with that gun, it's just an Allen wrench and a simple swap.

DF

Fermin will hook you up.
https://www.facebook.com/fermin.garza.7

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d get a 45 colt

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I think you’ll be fine not carrying a pistol for backup. 😉

I wouldn’t throw my rifle down and Wild Bill Hickok a charging bear.

I never carry a handgun if I'm carrying a rifle. OTOH when we go back to camp after shooting game and get all the stuff to clean etc... I swap the rifle for a handgun...

I just remembered to check this thread and got as far as your post, Jeff, but apparently once again we are similar. 😁. When I hunt with a rifle I’ll carry my Ruger 22/45 for grouse and general duty. When fishing, collecting wood or other chores that preclude the carrying of a rifle I carry a Glock 20 with either 200gr HC or 220 hardcast. As accurate as my 22/45 is and considering how well I shoot it, I don’t feel under gunned when I carry it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I’d get a 45 colt

That is what I brought with me to Alaska with Buffalo Bore hard casts. If I make it up there again I would probably take the same caliber again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
get slammed by a black dick

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Any history of Black Bear attacks on POW? I am more afraid of the harsh terrain there!

No

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
POW is full of amazing people but I'd be more worried about a methhead than a black bear on the island, especially in May.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trapperJ
POW is full of amazing people but I'd be more worried about a methhead than a black bear on the island, especially in May.

Sadly true😁 Always worried I’ll return to a truck missing an exhaust.

Yup.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Exactly. Can’t say I have ever worried about a black bear. Meth heads be riding though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Came around a corner on an old POW logging road and ran into a large bears first dump of the year!!! Looked at my little 308 and then back at that giant pile of crap and thought holy hell I'm under gunned!!! It was quite impressive and a bit intimidating!!! I be t the bear was quite "relieved"! Don't forget a wolf tag if it's open while you're there.

That 180gr Buffalo Bore looks like serious medicine for the .357! 780 ft. lbs. But there is no replacement for displacement. If I was hunting with a pistol I'd be packing my Redhawk loaded with hard cast. As for packing a pistol while hunting with a rifle on POW, no. If I was going along as a packer for someone and I didn't want to tote a rifle or to just have camp protection I'd be OK with the 357. But with the opportunity to snipe a wolf while bear hunting I'd rather pack a rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tkinak

That 180gr Buffalo Bore looks like serious medicine for the .357! 780 ft. lbs. But there is no replacement for displacement. .

Placement and Penetration trump displacement

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by tkinak

That 180gr Buffalo Bore looks like serious medicine for the .357! 780 ft. lbs. But there is no replacement for displacement. .

Placement and Penetration trump displacement

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, I've been doing alittle home-work on this Post, as I liked that .357 that -[mainer]- Posted-up, and it got me to thinking, so here is a comparison for you guys to look at, and since I pack a S&W 329PD .44Mag, that was the catalyst for this train of thought......
let me know your thoughts, or Not..... grin
Lj cool

Attached Images
LJ's S&W .357Mag vs. .44Mag (1).PNG (34.93 KB, 422 downloads)
LJ's S&W .357Mag vs. .44Mag (2).PNG (46.47 KB, 433 downloads)
LJ's S&W .357Mag vs. .44Mag (3).PNG (69.26 KB, 435 downloads)
LJ's S&W .357Mag vs. .44Mag (4).PNG (33.11 KB, 422 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know if I understand your question. I carry a S&W 60 3" .357 at times, a S&W 329PD at times, and a 4-5/8" barreled super blackhawk at times. Neither of the S&Ws are fun to shoot. The little Ruger is peppy but mostly manageable ... I carry it when I intend to shoot, I carry the others when I hope not to shoot but don't want to be without a gun.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I don't know if I understand your question. I carry a S&W 60 3" .357 at times, a S&W 329PD at times, and a 4-5/8" barreled super blackhawk at times. Neither of the S&Ws are fun to shoot. The little Ruger is peppy but mostly manageable ... I carry it when I intend to shoot, I carry the others when I hope not to shoot but don't want to be without a gun.

Tom

T_O_M,,,, Ok, not really a "Question", but more of an Observation if you will, as I said I liked that little .357 Ruger that -[mainer]- had posted about, but after my study on that possibility, it was clear that the S&W 329PD was the better choice, ie... 6-Rounds of .44Mag, physically about the same size, same Bbl length, and somewhat less weight to carry, again, just an actual comparison to what your pack-in,,,,, ie... the least amount of weight, with the best terminal performance.... grin
Lj cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1moredeer, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.