Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BWalker
Bill Steigers from Bitterroot Bullets seem to think twist rate had a significant effect.

I spoke with him a few times before he passed along with what Bob and others running fast twisted big game rifles saw and I’m a believer myself. I can say it doesn’t hurt from what I see.

I spoke with him just prior to his passing as well. Was looking for some bullets and ended up on the phone with him for over an hour. Great guy.

I’ve got a good pile of 132, 140 and 160 BBCs in 7mm I wanna get to using up. Probably the 132 or 140 in a little Model 725 280 Remington I just snagged. The slower twist in that one should be good with the lighter BBCs but I wished it was an 8 as well grin

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to me centrifugal force would zing bullet fragments off at more right angles to the projectile more than anything else. Could see how this shows more pop on small targets where you want shallow wide as much as possible as folks mention for prarie dogs. For big game seems like would would want the secondary projectiles to travel as far along the bullet path as possible to get in the animals vitals and tear up stuff vs immediately flying at sharp angle upon impact.

Lou

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BufordBoone

It is also one of the problems the .40 S&W experiences. The SAAMI spec for .40 S&W is a 1:16 twist. The Glock (and many others since) has approximately a 1:10 twist rate.

I posted years ago about this topic, always a believer in faster twist, in rifles.....in handguns that twist affected if say a 41 for instance could handle the 'heavies' - accurately. No doubt various handgun mfg. also twist differently in a given chambering.

I would like to know what 'problem' is experienced in the 40s.......was it perhaps 'accuracy related' with 180s?

I've not checked, but are 9mm pretty consistent in twist among various major mfg.?

JWP, you make a good point about fmj. It was noted long ago, that some various military rounds, say a 5.56 and the Russian x45 used twist that marginally stabilized ammo, so it caused more 'yaw' and tumbling of FMJ 'mil-spec' ammo, to 'enhance' wound channel. Now for hunting purposes alone, I would think enhanced straight line penetration, either by depth, or just keeping the bullet nose forward to help ensure reaching vitals would be of value.

No doubt twist affects not only accuracy, but bullet upset, and thereby lethality, in various ways, depending on bullet construction as JB points out.

Very interesting to have media that shows how these effects.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is a fascinating topic and something I had never even considered. I'd like to see a large scale test done.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Twist tends to have less effect with controlled-expansion or even cup-and-core big game bullets, but does indeed affect expansion, due to centrifugal force.

Been my experience as well, with non-scientifically conducted tests. Basic Hornady 55 gr. SP in a 1 in 12 pokes a couple holes in a pop can, same bullet out of a 1 in 7 twist comes apart on contact, shredding the can.

End of experiment.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

Twist tends to have less effect with controlled-expansion or even cup-and-core big game bullets, but does indeed affect expansion, due to centrifugal force.

Been my experience as well, with non-scientifically conducted tests. Basic Hornady 55 gr. SP in a 1 in 12 pokes a couple holes in a pop can, same bullet out of a 1 in 7 twist comes apart on contact, shredding the can.

End of experiment.

Empty can or can full of water?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Empty

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 65BR

I would like to know what 'problem' is experienced in the 40s.......was it perhaps 'accuracy related' with 180s?

Actually, it is problems.

The two twist rates can make it difficult for an engineer to design a projectile, mostly from a terminal effect but accuracy can also be a concern.

Going from a 1:16 to a 1:10 is a big increase.

Let's look at the 165 grain loading. At a MV of 1150, the 1:16 spins the bullet approximately 51,750 rpm. Change only the twist to 1:10 and it will spin the bullet approximately 82,800 rpm.

Download the round to the, popularly accepted, 1080 fps and you get 48,600 vs. 77,760.

So, as an engineer designing a bullet, do you design for 48,600 rpm or 82,800 rpm?

So much to consider.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lou_270
Seems to me centrifugal force would zing bullet fragments off at more right angles to the projectile more than anything else. Could see how this shows more pop on small targets where you want shallow wide as much as possible as folks mention for prarie dogs. For big game seems like would would want the secondary projectiles to travel as far along the bullet path as possible to get in the animals vitals and tear up stuff vs immediately flying at sharp angle upon impact.

Lou

It affects all parts of the bullet, whether still attached to the main body or not, and does so along the entire path of travel of the bullet through the animal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im just thinking in terms of terminal effect. Spinning something doesnt make a bigger hole. Possibly opposite if spinning reduces frontal resistance through cutting or some effect vs stuff getting blown out of way. I would think for controlled expansion bullets they only expand so much and stop (ie controlled). For bullets that come apart the force should zing fragments away further though more shallow

Lou

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Im just thinking in terms of terminal effect. Spinning something doesnt make a bigger hole. Possibly opposite if spinning reduces frontal resistance through cutting or some effect vs stuff getting blown out of way. I would think for controlled expansion bullets they only expand so much and stop (ie controlled). For bullets that come apart the force should zing fragments away further though more shallow

Lou

For "controlled expansion" bullets, it is when they fully expand. Hypothetically, if it is designed to fully expand in 5" of penetration but a faster twist makes it fully expand in 3" of penetration, a reasonable person could expect its total penetration to be less.

Alternately, if spinning slower than designed (downloaded to simulate downrange), it may not fully expand until 8" of penetration. Total penetration would then reasonably be expected to increase.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You guys can work the math, I'll go by what I've witnessed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
You guys can work the math, I'll go by what I've witnessed.

Amen.... give me RPMs!

grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Lou

For "controlled expansion" bullets, it is when they fully expand. Hypothetically, if it is designed to fully expand in 5" of penetration but a faster twist makes it fully expand in 3" of penetration, a reasonable person could expect its total penetration to be less.

Alternately, if spinning slower than designed (downloaded to simulate downrange), it may not fully expand until 8" of penetration. Total penetration would then reasonably be expected to increase.

No rifle hunting bullets that I am aware of require five inches of penetration to expand. Instead most expand fully within their own length, which israrely as much as two inches. The exceptions are "closed hollow points" like the Berger hunting bullets, which penetrate around 2" before the front end collapses and they start to expand.

This is why the area immediately behind and around the entry is most damaged: That's where the bullet totally expands. This has been proven many times in several kinds of media, and duplicated in extensive test-shooting of big game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
My thoughts are that a fragile varmint bullet, as soon as it makes contact and deforms in the least, instantly becomes unbalanced and the centrifugal force rips it apart. That could explain the violent effects on tiny varmints in that it’s not “expansion” in the normal sense, it’s disintegration similar to what is seen with lightweight varmint bullets that disintegrate in midair when fired from the Swift and other higher velocity rounds.

I would think the effect might still affect hunting bullets but would not be as pronounced due to their “stiffer” construction.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by navlav8
I would think the effect might still affect hunting bullets but would not be as pronounced due to their “stiffer” construction.

There's a vast range of construction in "hunting" bullets. Many will expand completely (and violently) on big prairie dog, even those which penetrate pretty deeply. Have seen this demonstrated with Nosler Partitions many times, due to their relatively soft front core.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ballistic tips and Sierra TMK do this as well

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Lou

No rifle hunting bullets that I am aware of require five inches of penetration to expand. Instead most expand fully within their own length, which israrely as much as two inches. The exceptions are "closed hollow points" like the Berger hunting bullets, which penetrate around 2" before the front end collapses and they start to expand.

This is why the area immediately behind and around the entry is most damaged: That's where the bullet totally expands. This has been proven many times in several kinds of media, and duplicated in extensive test-shooting of big game.

I lazily chose those numbers of 5 vs. 3 and then 8 in an effort to exaggerate the concept as many would find difficulty believing the rapidity with which modern hunting bullets expand. My apologies.

The concept, however still stands as my opinion. I say opinion as I've not proven the cause. I've merely experienced the results in shots into ballistic gelatine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have always speculated that the fast-twist barrels are the reason that 6.5 bullets perform so well on game. They kill way better than the ballistics indicate they should.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
sbhooper;
Good morning to you sir, I trust that this second day in December finds you well.

With apologies to those who've read my thoughts on this previously, we've had a couple threads similar to this over the years, one that I initiated myself actually.

Here's a link to it for those interested in what we thought in '14 on this subject.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../tissue-damage-270-vs-6-5x55#Post9248055

More or less the Cole's notes on that is that I've come to subscribe to the theory that it's the RPM created by fast twist, that can in combination with the correct bullet make a difference in terminal performance. For instance the loads I talked about in the above thread would have had the Swede with a projectile RPM of 234,000 and the unusually slow twist .270 making 190,000 RPM.

We can all agree that "dead is in fact dead" when it comes to animal reactions, but depending upon where we hunt, sometimes dead in close proximity is a very good thing, you know? wink

Two recent video examples I was viewing were a Tahr hunt in New Zealand and a Dall Sheep hunt in the Yukon where the hunters were both heard imploring the downed animal to please stay right there! grin

As always, there's many roads to Mecca, though of course with the beer flu they're not very packed these days one can imagine.

All the best to you as we head into colder and shorter days.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.