Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried both Accubonds and TSX in my guns. Accubonds shoot better for me, so that is what I use. This is for whitetails, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk. It is a good feeling to know the animal is dead before you ever pull the trigger. Accubonds give me that confidence. If I could get TSX to match that consistent accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. The only Accubond I ever recovered had retained 70% of its weight after travelling through about 30" of Mid-MO 8 point buck.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, BUT! A TSx would have penetrated 30.5" !

:-)

I'm happy with my Accubond loads; as you say the dang things are flat-out accurate. I've only killed one deer with them so far but they are my elk load in my .338 (225's) and my all-around load in my 30-06 (165's at 2950 fps).

I am trying out TSX's in my timber elk rifle, a Browning BLR in .325 WSM, on the theory that for that particular demanding task they might just be the best thing that exists. They seem to be shooting "good enough"; that rifle is right at MOA with a couple other loads, and that's what I'm getting with the TSX's.

So I guess I've got a foot on either side of the fence!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"my all-around load in my 30-06 (165's at 2950 fps)."

Wow, what is your load?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I looked, it's actually 2940 fps. Sorry!

It's a Hodgon book max charge of H4350 and a 165 Accubond and Winchester brass and an F210 primer. Might be slightly over. Here... hang on, I'll go look... OK, it's 59.5 gr of H4350. It would not surprise me if that's over book max, so BE CAREFUL!!

The key ingrediant, however, is my VERY FAST 22" Pac-Nor barrel. It'll touch 3100 fps with 150's, too! Love that barrel.

I know it seems like I'm making this up but look in the Hodgon mini-book and you'll see that those are right at the speeds they say are possible. I just, for once in my life, got a rifle that will actually hit book speeds. I have had some slooooow barrels in my day...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheaha

This what JJ posted in a thread dealing w/ TSX's with his RSA trip recently...;

I strongly feel that Rifles shooting over 3000 fps *OR* when shooting game over the 400-500lb range justify the TSX bullet, and should be very strongly considered as your top choice. Also the bigger bore rifles seem to have flawless performance of the TSX. The much larger hollow point tip in bullets .358 and larger really opens them well!

Here is his comments about the TSX with smaller game such as Deer, etc...

Shooting slower cartridges, or smaller lighter game in the 100-400lb range there are all kinds of good options. The TSX still works well in this situation, but quite often zips clean through without a good reaction to the impact. Bonded core bullets and even cup and core bullets will more frequently show the impact shudder and stagger game a bit better upon impact. These comments are for non CNS, non structural bone impacts.

That has been my experience using the TSX on smaller big game such as Deer and Hogs. The TSX'ers will do the job but a quicker expanding bullet drops deer much quicker on average.

I FEEL THIS IS DEAD ON ACCURATE AND WHY I USA ACCUBONDS OUT OF MY 308 WIN and may use them out of a 338 win mag

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some accubond carnage all with 308 win 150 grainers loaded @ 2840 MV..

Shots were from 20 yards to 230 yards...i havent recovered one yet.. all deer were 110 pounds or less and alll shot behind the shoulder....none went more than 50 yards

[Linked Image]

ENTRANCE
[Linked Image]

ENTRANCE

[Linked Image]

THIS ONE GOT SOME OF THE GUTS--236 yards
[Linked Image]

Another Exit
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 07/28/07.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Yeah, I like to stir the pot, what can I say...

My wife insists we never landed on the moon. Whadaya gonna do? She's also held her figure very well into her 40's so I ain't complaining about a little irrationality! ;-) I tell her that her Indian name is Looks-Good-In-Jeans.

-jeff

My wife told me the other night that she is NOT overweight. She was UNDER weight when we got married! grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.