Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Really appreciate you starting this thread, Ingwe~

I wasn't aware that the Hornady .17 25 gr HP's were available at Midway until I read this thread the other night after I couldn't get to sleep.

I now have a box on the way!!!

I have a T/C Contender and a T/C Encore, both set up very differently. One wears a factory T/C 26" sporter barrel, for longer shots, and the other I set up similar to a T/C that I saw that John Henry had. It was a 16.25" Bullberry heavy barrel, made to be handy for close hunting. I also camo painted it.

I shoot lefty, and those were the 2 easiest, best, quickest, least expensive options to a .17 Remington.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DELGUE; 01/21/21.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Curious as to the speed difference between the barrel lengths Del? Have you cronoed them?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I for sure chrono'ed the long barreled one. It was spittin' out Remmie factory loads just a hair over published velocity. I don't rmember if I chrono'ed the stubby or not. Obviously I give up a lot of speed with that short barrel, but boy does that sucker handle like a dream! If I get around to finding my notebook with the exact velocities I'll get back to you.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well Kid...I shot half a dozen grays with the 25 HP and it made a mess on all but one shot lengthwise...reds are a tad bigger...but I havent shot one to find out..
Reds are bigger, but much more fragile. The hide is thin and tears easily when skinning and I guarantee you will see way more damage than on a grey.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well Kid...I shot half a dozen grays with the 25 HP and it made a mess on all but one shot lengthwise...reds are a tad bigger...but I havent shot one to find out..
Reds are bigger, but much more fragile. The hide is thin and tears easily when skinning and I guarantee you will see way more damage than on a grey.

Good to know, as I have zero experience with reds, and Id really like to get a nice hide...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard rumors for years that Hornady made a lot of Remington's bullets. The only bullet I've ever used in the .17Rem is the original 25 PLHP factory load from remington.

My question is whether the 25 hornady HP is the same bullet as the PLHP?

I likely have enough of the original factory load to last me til I die. Only carry the rifle occasionally anymore.

I do have a .222 L461 that I've considered rebarreling to the .17. It'd get carried a bunch, and I'd need to start loading for it.

FWIW I shot a lot of red fox with the 25 gr PLHP factory load and seldom saw an exit at normal yardage The most exits I saw were at really long range, or notably when heavy bone was hit. I had more exits on coyotes than on fox. Shots on coyotes were generally longer than on fox. We didn't use a call in those days. Spot and stalk or tracking was our way, and a careful guy could usually walk up on a fox.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The PLHPs I had were noticeably different than the Hornadys. The PowerLokt bullets were plated like the Fusions IIRC. I did also have a box of Remington factory 25gr that were obviously Hornady HPs, the end flap only said 25gr HP though with no mention of PowerLokt.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like said the Hornady 25gr HP is not even close to the rem 25gr HP. I never liked the 25 gr rem bullet because it was so short, it worked fine it's just i liked the Hornady HP better. I like the 25gr Hornady v-max best of all since they came out yrs ago. But the Hornady 25HP is still around also. I drive these as fast as my 24" barrel will go, over 4100fps with cfe 223. If you put one in the rib cage of a coyote he won't be running off to join his mates.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Remington 25 was a lot more fragile and would stay inside foxes with body shots, the Hornady always exited

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.