-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a small roast that I am making pastrami with right now. I use Mrs Mule Deer`s recipe. It is really good.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, we really like her bear pastrami too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Got a N MN fall bear that lived on an oak ridge with some swampy area nearby and had also been hitting our bait site for ~10 days. Bait was pastries, oats, pelletized molasses, covered with logs that we then poured used restaurant fryer grease all over. I assume the bear lived on greens from the wet areas, snowball berries, high-bush cranberries, and acorns on the oak ridge.

Anyway, I sliced the backstraps into ~1/2" thick "steaks" rolled them in seasoned flour, browned them quickly, then dumped in just a splash of Jack Daniels and let them simmer covered for a bit until "done". Pretty much everything else got crock-potted like a beef roast and it was excellent.

I also got a SW MT spring bear. The meat was significantly lighter, much more similar to pork than a true "red" meat. All of that bear got mixed with some pork and made into sausage patties. They were very good, but with enough pork and spices mixed in, almost anything can be made palatable.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've only heard of bad black bear, but never had a bad one myself, and that's generally multiple bears per year. One of the best meats I get, and that includes moose and Sitka blacktail. But I'm usually getting fall bears on berries in the mountains. In fact I just had black bear chili and a black bear burger for dinner. Noting added to the burger, just meat and fat from the bear. About the best burger I've had, period.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
To this day, the only game that made me gag. I’m not likely to give it another chance

Originally Posted by Leatherneck
I've never had black bear meat. Heard and read about trichinosis risk and a lot of people said they didn't like it. Now it seems there's more people saying they enjoy it. What's your opinion of it?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only black bear I’ve eaten was jerky. Was very good.

Yup.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have never tried making pastrami with bear meet before, This would be some to try.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gut it well,
clean it well and cook it well,
Bear meat are delicious.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Clean off all the fat you can see, and then boil the roast to get the intramuscular fat out. Drain it out and slow roast it in an oven at 250 till it is well done. I like the roast done with onions, carrots and taters in the pan. fall off the bone tender and tasty.

Cook beaver about the same.

Last edited by the_shootist; 11/20/20.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As is the case with all animals with a singles stomach -as opposed to ruminants- it will depend on what tha bear has been feeding on recently. An interior spring bear that has been feeding on blueberries, or an autumn bear well fed on acorns has noting to do with one that has been feeding on dead fish along the shores of the ocean.

Here in Spain, dried pig's leg is very popular and considered a delicacy. We call it "jamon" and it is classified and sold at different prices depending on its feed.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make it a point to try and get out early every Spring for a rolly-polly fat bear. Interior bears, black or grizzly, big or small are good eating.

Bacon, burger, chops, roasts, sausage, stew meat, or tenderloin, it's all good.

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love it. My wife and I go through one per year. I prefer then to venison for roasts.
Also great for bratwurst, jerky, ground, sausage, etc. Anything as long a you cook it properly.

Last edited by 907brass; 11/23/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bear Pastrami a la Mrs. Mule Deer Eileen Clark:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like anything else, treat it right and it's wonderful, treat it wrong and your dog won't eat it.

I prefer spring bear because it has less fat. I try to separate all the fat from the meat before processing/cooking. A beef roast might be good with a nice layer of fat, but a bear roast won't.

Black bear meat is my preference for making meat loaf.

Originally Posted by Hubert
all bears have worms in them.. if you eat bear meat you are eating worms I learned that as a kid and almost died from the worms. .. I will never kill a bear to eat... you can eat the meat if you cook it enough to kill the worms but you are still eating cooked worms.. I don't need that crap in my body...

I guess you avoid farm raised pigs as well?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh fuuck, here we go, “bear meat is delicious “!!! What do you “delicious “ folks rate pussy or a good ribeye??? I really wanna know..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Bear Pastrami a la Mrs. Mule Deer Eileen Clark:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That looks killer!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just put one in the freezer this week. Having bear burgers for dinner tomorrow. It all starts with proper and prompt care of the meat from skinning to cutting and wrapping. I do agree with what several have said here get all the fat off that you can. The Amish in our area love to get the fat as they render it and use it on their bridle leather and as a water repellent on their shoes and gloves. Won't try to change anyone's opinion on palatibility but I will say if I haven't processed the meat from shot to pot, I won't eat it or feed it to my family. It definitely takes more care but yields a different tasting but good eating meat. Just one mans opinion. Good eating and good hunting.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Just put one in the freezer this week. Having bear burgers for dinner tomorrow. It all starts with proper and prompt care of the meat from skinning to cutting and wrapping. I do agree with what several have said here get all the fat off that you can. The Amish in our area love to get the fat as they render it and use it on their bridle leather and as a water repellent on their shoes and gloves. Won't try to change anyone's opinion on palatibility but I will say if I haven't processed the meat from shot to pot, I won't eat it or feed it to my family. It definitely takes more care but yields a different tasting but good eating meat. Just one mans opinion. Good eating and good hunting.

The most important thing is did you use the 9X56 to get it?

Ted

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I made "corned bear", like corned beef, and converted a bunch of folks that said they did not like eating bear.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Have only had black bear a few times, but I prefer it to deer.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.