-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got back in from trying to get my niece a whitetail. Saw nothing but does. I know the area really well and had no need for a GPS or OnX Maps, but she broke her phone out with some other crazy mapping app and it was pretty awesome. Maybe I'll renew my efforts in trying to figure it out.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tman, I'd be happy to chat with you about it. It's that big of a deal...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My phone is dying, so I plan to get a new one before too long. When I do that I may take you up on that. I still have your number.

My other issue with using the phone app is the $1,000 worth of OnX GPS chips that I have for several states...I wonder if OnX have any kind of a program to buy those back for those going to the phone app??? I guess I could drive to town and ask. They're headquartered 25 miles from where I am right now.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Once you figure it out you’ll like it.

Like Greg said, if I can figure it out, anyone can.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use mine the most out in the desert 4 wheeling. There are roads everywhere and it's very easy to get tangled up. A compass will aim you in the right direction but you can waste a lot of miles finding the right road.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no doubt I'd like it. From what I have seen thus far, it is much more useful than the old GPS way of doing things, especially with the aerial pictures, vs just the topo.

You all seem to underestimate my retardedness with Eanything. My mom can work a computer better than I can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a big fan. I've been using it for three years.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GregW
Tman, I'd be happy to chat with you about it. It's that big of a deal...

Id be happy to talk you through it too, but we'd probably both end up more confused.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer the chip with Garmin over the phone app. I really am burned out on touch screen technology and find the simplicity of my Garmin and advantage of using batteries I can swap out, to be refreshing.

Plus, this year I heard a chit ton of complaints about the phone app and some major update they decided to push around the start of the season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have used it for a few years as I migrated away from my handheld gps and was happy with it. Last 2 years I moved to GAIA instead. More mapping layers available and ability to switch the layers. Easy to share waypoints, locations, routes if you want / need to. Still need to download map areas if you will be off the grid before heading out. It has become the go to mapping app for the SAR team I am on.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve used it as my only GPS a lot. Alaska, wilderness AZ, it performs flawlessly. My phone battery lasts for days if used wisely. Don’t own a Garmin product. Two thumbs up.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keeping the phone on airplane greatly reduces battery drain. Get a solar phone charger. They're fairly cheap and work well, assuming you have some sunshine. I have a 20k battery pack that will recharge my phone several times. Use both a battery pack and a solar charger to recharge the pack in camp during the day. Then you can recharge the phone from the pack at night so you don't have to carry the charger with you all day. Also, hire a porter to haul all this stuff to your camp.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Screw OnX and their Liberal ways.

Base Maps is good to go and you get the entire US.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like everything about OnX.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a 10 state chip in my truck for coyote hunting, when I went to get an update the company decided to close their business up as it was too time consuming to keep the chips updated. While I'll get a few more years out of the chip. I did try the OnX as a free trial when a friend sent me some coordinates to meet him at for a coyote hunt. I liked it on the computer. I need to look into seeing if they have a chip for the Garmin GPS as both my truck and MC are set up for them for coyote hunting.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by erich
I've been using a 10 state chip in my truck for coyote hunting, when I went to get an update the company decided to close their business up as it was too time consuming to keep the chips updated. While I'll get a few more years out of the chip. I did try the OnX as a free trial when a friend sent me some coordinates to meet him at for a coyote hunt. I liked it on the computer. I need to look into seeing if they have a chip for the Garmin GPS as both my truck and MC are set up for them for coyote hunting.
Yes they do. I have one in a Garmin GPS. It doesn't look the same as the phone app, though. It can also be used in a car's GPS if it has a slot for a micro SD chip. It works ok in a car but it's not exceptional.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Keeping the phone on airplane greatly reduces battery drain. Get a solar phone charger. They're fairly cheap and work well, assuming you have some sunshine. I have a 20k battery pack that will recharge my phone several times. Use both a battery pack and a solar charger to recharge the pack in camp during the day. Then you can recharge the phone from the pack at night so you don't have to carry the charger with you all day. Also, hire a porter to haul all this stuff to your camp.

Agree, in airplane mode battery life is amazing. I also have a cheapo solar charger that works pretty well for $20. Of course, we got good sun here.

If you run OnX to mark your trail, it will use some battery, as will anything else. I seldom do that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did switch to phone vs my old garmin 60csx, but using gaia. Pretty sweet. And a couple 10000 anker banks for backpack hunts. Which means my buddy’s charge their phones with onx and use most my batteries. I left my garmin in the truck this year.

But the phone apps are pretty darn sweet.

Sean
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
OnX has been a fantastic hunting tool for me, great company, great products.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use it alot and in conjunction with a traditional GPS. My only issue with OnX is the lack of a good "GoTo" feature in OnX. OnX has that function but it sucks in my use/experience if you are wanting to go to an exact point. In many areas in the west, in open terrain, close enough is good enough. In other areas I hunt, navigating through dense woods, cleacut, swamp, hitting a precise spot is fairly important and way more efficient than thrashing around a clearcut/thicket/swamp.

OnX has been a game changer for hunting private land borders and I find the combo terrain and terrain with topo line overlay very useful when navigating.

At $60/year, it is worth every penny.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

55 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.