Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
907brass;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the last weekend before Christmas was a good one for you folks and all is where it needs to be - all things considered this year especially.

You are most welcome and thanks for the thanks. wink

Over the years there's been so many people who have helped me to learn all sort of different ways to approach tasks in various facets of life, so it's my intent to do the same for others whenever possible, you know?

When one reads posts from my cyber friend Super Cub or other professional meat cutters, they are usually in agreement that boneless is the way to go with wild game. Now as Super Cub mentioned ribs are a different story and actually this year for the very first time, we've kept back some leg bones from the little bucks I managed to connect with and are going to split them and try roasting them.

Again, one of the cool things about doing one's own is that the learning process can keep going if one wants to.

In a similar vein, about a decade back we quit cutting steaks when a buddy called and suggested that he'd had better success freezing bigger pieces of meat and then cutting them into what the spirit led him to during meal prep. cool We're now doing the same thing, so one can pull out a chunk of back strap and cut chops a bit thin and make a Panco breaded pounded steak, a bit thick and BBQ them, drop the entire chunk into a crock pot or even cube it for a more tender stew than normal "stew meat" provides.

As well, I want to say that larger pieces should tend to freezer burn less, but a few years back John Barsness had a thread here to determine how long wild game meat could be frozen and still be fine table fare. I want to say the record was 8 or 9 years??

I do know that my "lost moose roast" entry at 3 years wasn't even in the running! laugh

Thanks again for the reply, good luck on setting up your own custom processing set up and Merry Christmas to you folks.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fired up the moose sausage generator today. That will finally finish processing this year's moose and into the freezer.

Not bad as that's the 1st time I've ever made sausage. That container is 4 layers deep. Yesterday I corned one of the briskets. That will take about 3-4 weeks in the brine.

Should be good for protein for a while. smile

. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.