Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Let me start off by saying that I am NOT a professional, nor do I have any experience reviewing scopes, but I decided to put together my thoughts on this scope since there were not a lot of reviews out there. If you are someone who has more experience than me doing this… please be gentle on me and cut me some slack. I will gladly answer questions and will add pics if requested, but I did not take pics at the range. For detailed specs on the scope, I will refer you to the GPO website.

I was looking for a scope to go on a Barrett Fieldcraft in 243 that would be used for still and stand hunting in South GA woods. Intended game is Whitetail Deer and Hogs. Basically a set and forget scope, but can dial if needed. Distances are up to 200 yards. So far, my favorite scopes for this application are the NF NXS 2.5-10x32 and the SHV 3-10x42 (illuminated). The rifle already had a set of Talley LW lows in 1” on it, so I was searching to see what was out there that would be a little smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the NF and in 1” tube. Now, I have owned Leupolds, Meopta Meopro, Zeiss Conquest, Swarovski, and Burris FF II. And as much as I loved the glass in the Zeiss, Meopta, and Swaro, the tracking left something to be desired. All of them started off tracking ok, but I like to change scopes, rifles, and loads frequently. At some point, all of the above scopes would not track as advertised. ¼” or 1cm would NOT correspond to the shot group moving consistent with the click value. The result was always to turn the turrets… shoot… turn the turrets more…. Shoot….. oops, too far… back up…. Shoot…. You get the idea. At roughly the same size as the Meopta, Zeiss, and Swaro, and advertised at 15 oz… I decided to give GPO a shot.

Scope arrived in a typical box. When I opened it, I was instantly reminded of Zeiss and Meopta packing with the foam inserts that held the scope in place and the bikini scope covers. The bikini scope covers are see through… and I mean clear. Most clear covers can give you a snap shot if something is close, but these are clear. Not as clear as the glass, but a shot at a deer or hog at 100 yards isn’t a problem at all through the covers. More clear than the Swaro covers on my friends 3x-9x.

Magnification ring was a little stiff out of the box. But a few turns back and forth, and it loosened up to a good feel. 2 fingers can easily move it, but rubbing on clothes most likely won’t unless there is significant pressure. Same feel for the Diopter ring which was easy to find the sweet spot for my eyes.

The eye relief stayed at a constant 3.5” (estimate) throughout the entire magnification range. No creeping up on the scope needed as you hit 9x. Eye Box was very forgiving and only got slightly tighter on max mag.

Reticle is a German 4. Illumination is a nice center dot in the middle. On the settings, 0 is off and 8 is max. The dot becomes visible at just 1.5 in low light. 4 and above is daylight bright. And 8 gave me a bright dot against white paper in sunlight. There are no detents or clicks for the settings and no “off” between numbers. Just grab and roll until you hit the level you want. The stiffness of the knob is easy enough for a 2 finger roll without moving the reticle off target, but not enough to turn itself on from normal use.

The turret caps are aluminum. Markings on the turrets are clear and line up perfectly with the witness line. Adjustments are crisp and audible (dare I say better than the above mentioned NF’s). First thing I did was twist the turrets from end to end several times. The scope arrived optically centered. Again, the adjustments were 2 finger easy, but not so loose where if you left the caps off they would move just by brushing against them. Resetting the turrets was super easy. This scope has a lot of mounting surface (5 ¾”) which is good for those long actions.

The image is typical Meopta Meopro/Zeiss Conquest clear. Now when I looked through this scope prior to writing down my observations, I didn’t notice that on 3x, the outer edge of the view was not as crisp as the rest of the view. It was only when I tried to be picky about edge to edge clarity did I notice it. For normal shooting or hunting, I guess I never payed too much attention to the edges. To best describe what I saw… at 100 yards, I could see individual blades of grass. In that very outer area, I could still see grass, but identifying individual blades was tougher. Don’t get me wrong… if a chipmunk ran into the edge of the view, I would easily see it was a chipmunk, but might not be able to see the black stripe against the brown fur. This only happened when the magnification was from 3x to about 6x. From 6x to 9x, the edge to edge clarity was perfect.

I called GPO later to see if maybe I didn’t adjust the diopter correctly, or this was normal, or something was wrong. The branching options gave the option of going directly to Mike Jensen the owner (unexpected surprise). Although I selected technical support, a gentleman named Mike answered the phone… curious. Mike was very helpful in not only educating me beyond expectations, but also stated why this happens. He stated that clarity around the edges of the lense is one of the toughest things to achieve. Most companies would just put in an optical block to cover the edges giving the appearance of edge to edge clarity. The problem with this is you lose field of view. GPO chose not to put an optical block in, thus giving the shooter a wider field of view. Once you zoomed in a little, you are past the edges and have edge to edge clarity. So out of curiosity, I looked up similar 3x-9x (or 10x) scopes. With the exception of the Swarovski 3-9x36, the GPO had the widest FOV by over 2 feet at 100 yds on 3x.

I compared the GPO to a NF NXS and SHV, SWFA 6x, Steiner NightHunter Extreme, and NF ATACR. I stapled a $1 bill at 100 yards, and set all scope on 6x due to the swfa only being a fixed 6x. I looked for clarity and resolution around the portrait. Obviously the Steiner and ATACR were best. The GPO was on par or maybe just a tad better than the NXS/SHV, and better than the swfa. I wish I had the Meopta and Zeiss to compare it to, but they went down the road a while ago. My guess is they would have been the same as the GPO.

I then set the magnification rings so that I had a 7mm exit pupil and waited for darkness. I know, not really fair since the 7mm exit pupil on the ATACR meant the magnification was on 8x vs the GPO on 5.7x. My target was a white background with a beige/light brown deer silhouette. At 30 minutes after sundown on a partly clear sky, all scopes allowed me to see the white paper no problem. Discerning the deer from the white paper is what I was after. As above, the Steiner and ATACR lasted longest. The GPO was on par or just a tad better than the NF’s, and better than the swfa.

Now for the tracking. I did not perform a tall target test or put the scope on a fixture to measure % of error. I put the GPO on a known ½ moa 223 shooter. Fired 1 shot. Adjusted accordingly and landed the next round within 1/2” of the center. Adjusted 3 moa right and left and fired a few rounds at each ends. Also dialed up 8 moa and fired a few, then back to 1st shot fired a few. All groups were ½ moa and right where they were supposed to be. Repeated up and down dialing were consistent groups. I give the tracking a pass, but long term reliability remains unanswered at this point.

If I could sum up this scope in short… Zeiss Conquest / Meopta Meopro with a more robust feel, better turrets, and center dot illumination. The advertised warranty and customer service sound intriguing, and if they are as advertised, it’s a no brainer. For a sub size, weight and price of the NF SHV and in a 1” tube, this is my choice.

Add: I was going to wait until I could get some thru-the-scope pics of the edges on 3x, 6x, and 9x to post this, but the time change has interfered with my fun time. I will update the thread when I get some pics.

Last edited by WB300; 11/17/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I have not got to look through one but have considered buying one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice review, thank you for sharing.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great review. You've piqued my interest. One question, and I may have missed it in the original review: country of origin?

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Says Japan on the bottom of the turret housing.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WB300
Says Japan on the bottom of the turret housing.

Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 3X Passion 3-9 x 40 (the lowest end one they sell, with no illumination) is marked Philippines, FYI.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Thanks for the review.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by backtobethel
My 3X Passion 3-9 x 40 (the lowest end one they sell, with no illumination) is marked Philippines, FYI.

What are your thoughts on it? Is the review above for the japan version agree with your 3x9? Curious because I was looking at one...Either that or the Optika5..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great review- very informative. We don’t hear much about quality one inch scopes any more with good working turrets . Sounds like a great hunting scope.

Dan

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great review.

One question on the illumination knob - are there "off" positions between each setting? I can't tell from the pictures.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

See-thru bikinis, uh, I mean scope covers intrigue me. Where can I buy separately? Anyone have a linky?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

See-thru bikinis, uh, I mean scope covers intrigue me. Where can I buy separately? Anyone have a linky?

Regardless how much you may like them, any bikini purchasing should probably be done by your wife/girlfriend. :-)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Great review.

One question on the illumination knob - are there "off" positions between each setting? I can't tell from the pictures.

From his original post:

Illumination is a nice center dot in the middle. On the settings, 0 is off and 8 is max. The dot becomes visible at just 1.5 in low light. 4 and above is daylight bright. And 8 gave me a bright dot against white paper in sunlight. There are no detents or clicks for the settings and no “off” between numbers. Just grab and roll until you hit the level you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thx for the review, was curious about GPO. if the conclusion is that a GPO passion is the equivalent of the conquest and meopro then I already have that base covered. I'm interested in moving up to better glass as my eyes age.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Great review.

From his original post:

Illumination is a nice center dot in the middle. On the settings, 0 is off and 8 is max. The dot becomes visible at just 1.5 in low light. 4 and above is daylight bright. And 8 gave me a bright dot against white paper in sunlight. There are no detents or clicks for the settings and no “off” between numbers. Just grab and roll until you hit the level you want.

Thanks. Reading comprehension failure on my part.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good review. I have been interested in these GPO scopes for a while now....I think I will try one soon 👍.....Hb

W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Just a heads up.. they have Demos on their site at a discount. Read their warranty. I didn't see the Demos until after I purchased mine. Coulda saved some $.

W
WB300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I didn't forget about updating with pics. My Samsung phone doesn't want to focus on the image, but instead everything around it. Same with my auto-focus Sony camera.

I'll update with through-the -scope pics when I can get good pics.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great review. 👍

I have a problem spending $1000+ on a German Precision Optics that’s made in Asia. It seems to me that with a name like that they should be made in Germany.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.