Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MM879
I find these F-150 threads amusing. Grocery getters.

Please, tell us more.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess, I should get rid of my F150 3.5l with a tune and just start driving the IHC 1210 with a 392 and 4 speed.... Technology has done nothing to pickup trucks... The IHC is fun to drive, have to turn left and right to stay straight....;-)

The entire auto industry is turning to smaller displacement with turbos and they have e v o l v e d. They do require regularly oil changes and high quality oil. the 3.5l engines need regular plug replacement say every 30K miles and make sure they are gapped correctly or you will see plug failures. The guts of the 3.5l are good, they raced that engine and 10 speed transmission in 2017 at LeMans for a reason, it holds up and that was north of 700 hp.

That said, I’m looking at going back to 1985 and want a Testarossa with a flat 12 cylinder......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've seen too many wiped out rod bearings and other failures in turbocharged engines to put that much faith in them. Brand new and working as advertised, they are definitely impressive but I'm a believer in cubic inches and bottom-end torque.

How many of these were factory configured ecoboost engines? Thanks

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They want everyone to go electric, so why bother?

Thank Bernie Sanders and AOC and the rest of the Congressional Leftist Communists...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDW
No argument on peak numbers, I believe the 5.0 delivers more torque lower in the revs but I am still looking for good data for 100% stock trucks.

That is very possible with the latest versions. Things have indeed come a long way. When I was shopping some years ago, the 3.5L had a better curve which matches my experiences owning and driving them both.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slim_Jenkins
I've seen too many wiped out rod bearings and other failures in turbocharged engines to put that much faith in them. Brand new and working as advertised, they are definitely impressive but I'm a believer in cubic inches and bottom-end torque.

My prejudice originates back in the 60s and is supported by a few ongoing horror stories involving turbos in more recent years. I haven't seen it in these newer engines...I'm too far removed from the automotive scene these days to offer any meaningful anecdotes, but when I hear about these failures it just reinforces the way I've thought of this stuff since forever.

Give me a stump-pulling big block V-8 any day. The bigger the better.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

My prejudice originates back in the 60s and is supported by a few ongoing horror stories involving turbos in more recent years. I haven't seen it in these newer engines...I'm too far removed from the automotive scene these days to offer any meaningful anecdotes, but when I hear about these failures it just reinforces the way I've thought of this stuff since forever.

Give me a stump-pulling big block V-8 any day. The bigger the better.

IHC 392 V8 with a granny gear....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RDW
No argument on peak numbers, I believe the 5.0 delivers more torque lower in the revs but I am still looking for good data for 100% stock trucks.

That is very possible with the latest versions. Things have indeed come a long way. When I was shopping some years ago, the 3.5L had a better curve which matches my experiences owning and driving them both.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I’ve owned all those except the base 3.7 V6. There’s no comparison when it comes to the 3.5 EB TT ‘s low RPM torque. Towing it’s helpful and non towing is just fun as he ll .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Drove a 2013 f-150 with the 5.0 and 3.73's for a work truck was impressed with everything about it. So when the fall of 16 rolled around I ended up with a end of the sale year 2016 5.0 with 3.73's. Has 61k on it now still happy with the truck only complaint I have is being hounded by the extended warrantee fu*ks every other day god*amn asswipes. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 2015 with the larger eco-boost.

I use it to haul my tractor and other jobs.

The only thing i have noticed is when they added more alcohol to the gas the mileage went down.

I change the oil and use Amsoil and it has around 96,000 miles.

It has the 6 speed and in the mountains across NM.and AZ. it worked great.

If one wants to haul some a$$ all you need to do is go into sport mode and that little 6 will put you back in the seat.

A friend has one with a 5.0 and his millage is a tad less than mine.

I would buy one again if they quit putting any more comp.stuff in them.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by tzone
I had a v-8 and now have a eco boost turbo. I have the smaller one, 2.7l. I have tried to find a reason not to like it and I can’t. I don’t tow heavy but i do tow a lot. Not more than 5000 pound.

It’ll schit n get if you need it to.

I average 19.3 mixed driving. 22 on highway if you keep it at 70 or under.

I have a 2019 with the 2.7. I tell folks that little sewing machine will get up and go. Awesome fuel efficiency as well.

It’ll blow the doors off any of the 5.4’s I’ve ever had.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
For the guys with ecoboost turbos....................what happens when that turbo kicks in on an icy road?

MM

Lmao. It doesn’t “kick on.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

I here some year model 3.5L Twin Turbo. The turbos and oil lines leak oil. Very expensive to fix.

Wear a mask.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by Windfall
Color me a traditionalist then. I know that my old Saab turbo isn't a new Ford turbo, but after I replaced two turbos at $750. each in that Saab, I vowed to never buy another one. That was before they inter-cooled the turbo and because a turbo uses the exhaust pressure to spin the turbo up to 12,000 rpm in my case, the turbo seals just couldn't take that kind of rpm and heat. Sure the thing was fidgety fast, but when those turbo seals went out, it sure changed my mind about what I was going to do that day. Picture white oil smoke behind you that would obliterate the road. I don't know about the Fords, but my turbo ran on oil bathed bushings and I haven't used Mobil 1 oil since my Saab days either because in part I blamed the oil. I was told that bearings wouldn't stand up to that kind of rpm or heat and that bushings were better.

I know that Ford had some issues with the early 3.5's up until about 2013 and the reason that a V-8 is in my truck now. There is no replacement for displacement. I'm only turning 1,500 rpm at 60 mph and that is half the rpm of my old 5.0 (302) Mustang. I keep my stuff about forever and a couple mpg difference doesn't mean squat if I need to pull maintenance on the engine.

How are things in the past? Look out for 2020, it's a doozy

grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it depends on what you want. IMO the 5.0 is more reliable. If you want the most towing power the 3.5 delivers its power much like a diesel that runs on gasoline. just roll into the throttle and its right under your foot. IMO it will outpull any diesel 3/4 or 1 ton from the big 3 short of engines made in the last 7 or 8 years, maybe. combine nearly 500 foot pounds of torque in a truck that is 2000 pounds lighter. the ecoboost is probably going to pull any load under 7-8k pounds faster up the hill. I hated the 5.0 for the longest time I drove a 2017 for 5 weeks. recently drove a 5.0 rental truck with the 10 speed transmission, its a totally different truck with that trans. Also if you live at low altitude and combine it with the 10 speed its going to be a decent combo. if you live in the west, were the density altitude can reach 9000 feet in the summer, like I do in salt lake city area, I would get the ecoboost. If I lived at low altitude and in particular a low altitude AND a cooler climate I would get the 5.0 myself.

the problem with the 3.5 engine is the cam phasers, they rattle on startup, I have had mine fixed already and now they are bad again. the 3.5 has a known issue with these unless you really really want a 3.5 I might consider a different engine if you can. the 2.7 is supposed to be the best engine of the whole bunch. if you're paying our of pocket I bet the cam phaser fix is a $4k out of pocket repair. its pretty intense they may pull the cab to do the job. Ford IMO hasn't been having its finest hour with their f150's lately. dash warping. 10 speed funky shifting and cam phasers on their top of the line ecoboost engine.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
it depends on what you want. IMO the 5.0 is more reliable. If you want the most towing power the 3.5 delivers its power much like a diesel that runs on gasoline. just roll into the throttle and its right under your foot. IMO it will outpull any diesel 3/4 or 1 ton from the big 3 short of engines made in the last 7 or 8 years, maybe. combine nearly 500 foot pounds of torque in a truck that is 2000 pounds lighter. the ecoboost is probably going to pull any load under 7-8k pounds faster up the hill. I hated the 5.0 for the longest time I drove a 2017 for 5 weeks. recently drove a 5.0 rental truck with the 10 speed transmission, its a totally different truck with that trans. Also if you live at low altitude and combine it with the 10 speed its going to be a decent combo. if you live in the west, were the density altitude can reach 9000 feet in the summer, like I do in salt lake city area, I would get the ecoboost. If I lived at low altitude and in particular a low altitude AND a cooler climate I would get the 5.0 myself.

the problem with the 3.5 engine is the cam phasers, they rattle on startup, I have had mine fixed already and now they are bad again. the 3.5 has a known issue with these unless you really really want a 3.5 I might consider a different engine if you can. the 2.7 is supposed to be the best engine of the whole bunch. if you're paying our of pocket I bet the cam phaser fix is a $4k out of pocket repair. its pretty intense they may pull the cab to do the job. Ford IMO hasn't been having its finest hour with their f150's lately. dash warping. 10 speed funky shifting and cam phasers on their top of the line ecoboost engine.

First I’ve heard about the cam phasers issue.
Good to know and ask about.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

I here some year model 3.5L Twin Turbo. The turbos and oil lines leak oil. Very expensive to fix.

Wear a mask.

just buy a Toyota

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

First I’ve heard about the cam phasers issue.
Good to know and ask about.

Cheaper to fix cam phasers then a new short block V8. They are using spray in liners not cast in cylinder liners.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I had a 2011 with the 5.0 and now have a 2016 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I would be happy driving either, but the turbo really seems faster with better fuel economy.

Last edited by scoony; 11/29/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I think that the oil filter/cooler module requires a special oil filter that Ford is cheeping out on. I had a similar clicking and I changed the oil and filter and the startup click vanished. The oil was the same, but the oem oil filter changed part number. I think that they added a check valve to prevent drain down. This experience is with a different company from Ford.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.