Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is zero? is the correct answer. smile

Oops, I shouldn't have watched Alex Trebek tonight. wink

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should have invested the time and did a web search on that rather than guess. But than I would been accused of doing research on a topic that didn�t involve the same 5 creation web sites.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good, and accurate, guess!

Sanlen,

I'm not going to read back through the posts so forgive me if I don't say this quite right but I remember you saying something about the last paragraph in Darwin's book.

Were you(if you remember back) speaking of this line:

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one;..."

FYI, the Creator part was not added until the second edition in 1860. Not a commentary on my part as to why he may have added it or left it out of the first edition. I just thought you might be interested(while I had my reproduction of the first edition out).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never read that line. But I like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It pretty much sums up my personal beliefs about life.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are going to hell. grin Sorry to inform you. crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have finished packing for that Kayak trip. So I won't be around for a while. Looking for the elusive smallmouth bass. Camping out of the yak under the stars gets me a whole lot closer to God than this stuff ever will. Have a good night everyone. I enjoyed the debate.

I don't have any link or scientific data to prove this. Sorry. But smallmouth fishing rocks. So that FACT can't be debated. As for proof within the Bible.

http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=gen&chapter=9&verse=3

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

And I intend to live up to this....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sanlen
You discount the real power of the living God. Your statements, said so often to be a search, are now revealed to be the cloaked evil of one who spreads only doubt instead. You anger me, for the first time on this forum. You say you wish to discover, but abandon the only way to truth.

I await the verdict of the Most High on this. Let His will be done and He decide what shall be done. I am done with you. But I warn you, His reach goes beyond the grave.

humm sorry I miss understood your response right after the post. That is why I believed you got directly insulted. My apologies. Wish me luck with the smallmouth fishing.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Saint Augustine does not agree on the literal translation of Genesis. He taught this approx 1700 years ago; 1500a before evolution was ever discovered.

I'm sorry sir, but that does not make it right.

"Then He (Jesus) said to them all, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.'" Luke 9:23 NKJV
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't say if he was right or wrong. Everything I have researched, so far, tells me that 'Saint Augustine does not agree on the literal translation of Genesis.' Do you have any sources that differ? Is that the line you have issue with?

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You swing Augustine like he was a club to bolster your position, or possibly opposition to what God says happened. What if there were (and I know several personally) two men that said that Genesis is word for word accurate and to be taken completely literally? Would that change your mind on the literalness of Genesis? I trow not.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
You swing Augustine like he was a club to bolster your position, or possibly opposition to what God says happened. What if there were (and I know several personally) two men that said that Genesis is word for word accurate and to be taken completely literally? Would that change your mind on the literalness of Genesis? I trow not.

No, not swinging any club. Presented a fact so anybody(at least critical thinkers) can then decide whether it should have any influence on their beliefs. What's wrong with that?

To answer your question: As a critical thinker, if you had presented more information on the two men and their thoughts, I would consider their position(s) carefully before deciding if it would have any influence on my beliefs. With the very limited information you have given, their position(s) have little or no influence.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Augustine's delusion is not a fact, it is an opinion.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I didn't say if he was right or wrong. Everything I have researched, so far, tells me that 'Saint Augustine does not agree on the literal translation of Genesis.' Do you have any sources that differ? Is that the line you have issue with?

If by 'delusion' you mean his thoughts on Genesis, it is fact that he believed Genesis was read to literally. I cannot find any reliable research that says he taught anything different.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You have a nice day, SakoA. I will not be giving you any cause to beef up your post count any further on this thread - - - - for sure this time. laugh

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Obligatory declarations and notices:

"The attached statement is not intended to be a proof of creation, an attempt to prove that evolution is false, or any combination there of."

There is a school of thought, to which I am a proponent, that holds that one of the purposes of the book of Genesis was to "unlearn" the Israelites the doctrine taught them over the 400 plus years they were in egypt. This teaching was very similar to the tenets of modern evolutionary thought. While the advanced cosmology, biology, geology and archeology of today was missing, their current level of understanding was used. The specific issues that are the same for both the ancient Hebrews and modern Christians are the philosophical implications involved with humanism.

Post opinion disclaimers:

At no time was there a conscious attempt in the above information to use scientific data to either prove or disprove the theory of evolution, or creation. Opinions of others either reacting or responding to the above information do not respresent the opinion of this writer.

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SakoAlberto,

That indeed the portion I had in mind.

[Linked Image]

KJ believer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'd say he knows the truth by now.

(Darwin, too) wink

Last edited by Sanlen; 07/18/07. Reason: comment added in parens

[Linked Image]

KJ believer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SakoAlberto,

That indeed the portion I had in mind.

Good.

It does make me wonder why he added 'the Creator', whether it was pressure from organized religion(pope?) or whether it was part of his own philosophical beliefs.

In my opinion(there's the disclaimer wink ) it is more pararllel to my current beliefs with the Creator added.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd say he knows the truth by now.

(Darwin, too) wink

Yes, I'd imagine by now God has shown Darwin a full understanding of how He created life and then diversified it by evolution. wink

Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.