Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have always lived within 45 miles of where I am now, don't think I'd want to live more than a short drive from the coast.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
When you go back do you visit the old home place ?

Talked to my older brother on Thanksgiving , he always mentions when you come visit we'll go see all the families old places . Trip down memory lane .

Did it for years - big fields we played ball in sure did shrink .

My wife and I went to Longreach late last year for a visit...I prefer my youthful memories.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
People that have lived their entire life in one town are odd to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On a hill due north of downtown Cincinnati, there is a transmitting tower for WSTR-TV channel 64. It is the tallest tower around. It dawned on me the other day that I have lived within 5 miles of that tower my entire life. A good part of it was spent within walking distance.

I took a World History class in college and one of the spare facts I remember from it is the average medieval person never ventured more than 5 miles from home. I guess I'm medieval.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I happen to be visiting where I was raised right now. My cousins stay right on their old home place thats been in their family for generations and I stay there.
My other side of the family lived only a mile or so from where I am at now and I drive by it at least a few times while I am here. Not much left of it as over the decades many of the out buildings have been torn down. The house and the main wooden barn is still there but its not the grand old well kept place I remember.

Both families had pretty much self sustaining farms complete with shops , crops ,livestock , orchards and large gardens. Both still have large wood plots and hedgerows where small game could be hunted. Now we deer hunt there. There were no deer around when I was growing up and I never thought I would be back here 45 years later hunting.

It was a bustling prosperous small community back then. A great mix of local businesses of retail, banks, insurance and realestate , agriculture and factories. Now not so much. I think the last dry cleaners closed up about five years ago.
They said once you leave you cant ever really go back home and in many respects that is true.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We were a military family and had new homes frequently. Two places from my youth have changed very little. One is Frostproof, FL and the other is Dover, TN. I have visited both in recent times and departed with a smile. The rest have evolved into train wrecks.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I grew up on the coast. When I was there, it was a very small town and I could walk for miles out of my back yard. There were lots of deer and other small game. Access to the harbor was great and it was an outstanding place to grow up. Great hunting and fishing as well as being able to play in the ocean. It has grown significantly and now mcmansions with little public access to the waterfront. Sad really.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Folks who moved away from where they were raised? Why yes, it is estimated that a third of California's population came from Mexico one way or another...55 electoral votes...gotta love those open borders.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd like to move now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went back to visit my hometown and this is what I found....... the whole town is gone... frown

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ol_mike
When you go back do you visit the old home place ?

Talked to my older brother on Thanksgiving , he always mentions when you come visit we'll go see all the families old places . Trip down memory lane .

Did it for years - big fields we played ball in sure did shrink .

I was raised bouncing around all over the east and south. Couldn't get out of the east fast enough...left for Montana literally within an hour of finishing my last college exam.

I don't go back if I can help it...hated it all then and its gotten twice as crowded since I left.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I went back to visit my hometown and this is what I found....... the whole town is gone... frown

were was this?.....bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm only 150 miles from 'home' (Boise). None of the family live there any more so I seldom go there. I can't get too far from home because there are state lines. Outside of those, I'd lose a solid red state, constitutional carry, great hunting, a state that's over 60% public land, low population, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I reside on property my family has owned since 1830 and the only place I’m going is 6’ down when time comes! Got my own lake and 1000 yard shooting range! What more could a fellow want??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The small town I grew up just outside of was a dream area for the time period. Rivers and streams everywhere. We had unfettered access to all the bird hunting and deer hunting as well as fishing you could imagine on private property as they let us go everywhere. The lakes and ponds were close enough to ride your bikes to. Then the mass southern migration started and access started to dwindle and by the 90s it was no trespassing signs everywhere and locked gates to mountains we camped and fish from the late 60s on. Now some areas you can buy a yearly key to get in limited to you and your wife or children 17 and under. When I go to eastern Oregon I can take two routes the first goes through the area I grew up or the northern route. I take the northern route because it makes me sick seeing what has happened to the area I cherished so much while driving through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by irfubar

were was this?.....bob

Paradise, Calif.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was born and raised in Broward County, FL. Left for good in 1987.

Need I say more...? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Visiting now and always drive by the homes my wife and I grew up in and the homes we raised our kids in. It used to be farmland and lots of open spaces. When I was a kid the nearest neighbor was my grandparents a quarter mile away. Today it's mansions, businesses, traffic, and people everywhere (Northern Utah County, Utah).

If it weren't for seeing family, I'd never come back.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I never look back.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was born in SoCal and lived there until age 11. My Dad was an oil/gas exec and we traveled to a different country every 2 years. I have lived in Las Vegas for 50 years now and worked on all 7 continents. I only travel in my 4 Runner now and will never return to So Cal. The entire world has changed since my youth and the only places that improved are the ones that got rid of communism. Ironic.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.