Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great story and hunt.....Thanks for posting....And shot with an Amish machine gun... laugh

Last edited by battue; 11/30/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Cool story. Have never seen a wild deer with tags.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That’s a super cool hunt you went on congrats on the genuine trophy (ear tags or no) deer there you earned it!

I love those big woods like and and share your sense of adventure that sounds like a ball buster hike but what satisfaction!

Thanks for sharing I look forward to hearing what comes of the mystery tags.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My favorite tagged animal story came from a friend of mine. It was a radio collared caribou, that he had helped release on a transplant some 50-60 miles away just a couple months before.

She was probably trying to go home, some 500 miles away, but ran into an arm of the ocean, short-stopping her intention even before he legally collected her from a different, already established and huntable herd.

No reward, though she was wearing a $1500 collar. He felt kind of bad, F&G having gone to all that expense only to have a collared animal killed that soon after the transplant, even if she was off her grounds.

The first caribou I ever killed came from that same established herd, a few years earlier, and was ear-tagged, showing she was one of the original transplants to establish that herd 13 years before. She was 15, old for a caribou, teeth very worn, fat and calf-less in mid-August.

A 12 mile pack out, more or less downhill... fair horse trail for 5 of that, good FS trail for the last 7..but we had horses that time. I killed a few more over the years back there, and back-packed them out.

I was much younger then..... smile

I;ve been using snow machines and an ATV for the last 10 years. Mo better!

Last edited by las; 11/30/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago here in PA they had something like a dog collar with a big battery/electronics packet on it.
I saw 2 a couple years apart, let them both pass. Both were doe.
Had Game commission guys give a talk on the tagged deer at my local club. Interesting how they scatter during rut, and the travel some do.
One swam the Susquehanna river almost every day. That was amazing.
Also had talks on elk, otters, bob cats, and fishers. All very interesting.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice PA buck!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Super deer jackpot.

It did not escape notice that your pump was aiming at our groin/torso area in one of the pics, yikes!

Trust you dodged a muzzle sweep mishap!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great story, looking forward to hearing the outcome of the tags.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great story!....thanks for posting 👍.....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your success!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B3

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
UPDATE - So I got a call back from a nice young woman working for PGC out of College Station today about those ear tags. I gave her all the information she needed and then she filled me in on the trapping program and this particular buck. Turns out he was trapped and tagged on May 18th, 2017 as a newborn fawn as part of an ongoing fawn survival study being conducted by PGC. So that would make him 3.5, much more believable than 6.5. She said according to the data she had that he was trapped within 24 hours of being born. I asked how she knew that and she said it's mother was also tagged and wore a GPS collar and had an implant that could tell them when she was giving birth (by body temperature). I asked about the 2 different tag numbers and she said that he was never re-trapped, but rather they don't sedate the fawns that young when they are trying to get them tagged, so they just grab 2 tags out of the bag and don't worry about matching them up as they want to release them ASAP.

What I did find interesting was that where he was trapped and where I shot him were only a couple miles apart. I had always been told that young, 1.5 year old bucks get kicked out of their mother's home range and need to find their own new territory. Sort of nature's way of preventing in-breeding. Apparently that is not always the case.

Anyway, she did say I would get the $100 reward for participating. I thanked her for the basically free deer tag this year and promised to reinvest it in next years tag. She told me there were plenty of tagged deer in that area so maybe we would talk again. smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cool story and info all the way around! Thanks for the update!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great follow up Brent, thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the update bb. Interesting stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
UPDATE - So I got a call back from a nice young woman working for PGC out of College Station today about those ear tags. I gave her all the information she needed and then she filled me in on the trapping program and this particular buck. Turns out he was trapped and tagged on May 18th, 2017 as a newborn fawn as part of an ongoing fawn survival study being conducted by PGC. So that would make him 3.5, much more believable than 6.5. She said according to the data she had that he was trapped within 24 hours of being born. I asked how she knew that and she said it's mother was also tagged and wore a GPS collar and had an implant that could tell them when she was giving birth (by body temperature). I asked about the 2 different tag numbers and she said that he was never re-trapped, but rather they don't sedate the fawns that young when they are trying to get them tagged, so they just grab 2 tags out of the bag and don't worry about matching them up as they want to release them ASAP.

What I did find interesting was that where he was trapped and where I shot him were only a couple miles apart. I had always been told that young, 1.5 year old bucks get kicked out of their mother's home range and need to find their own new territory. Sort of nature's way of preventing in-breeding. Apparently that is not always the case.

Anyway, she did say I would get the $100 reward for participating. I thanked her for the basically free deer tag this year and promised to reinvest it in next years tag. She told me there were plenty of tagged deer in that area so maybe we would talk again. smile

Thanks for the update!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool story! Thanks.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
So look what showed up in the mail today! Not exactly what I expected, but appreciated none the less! I guess this brings the story full circle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Deciding a place is too perfect not to spend some time in is my primary scouting tactic smile

Well played!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Really enjoyed that and thank you for sharing.

Well done for taking matters into your own hands - that memory will live for a long time!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.