Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Looking to swap our woodstove out for a pellet stove.

Trying to figure out how to get this woodstove moved. The walls are made of soapstone, so the stove Waze somewhere well north of 500 pounds. Sitting on four legs so it’s not really easy to use an appliance dolly.

Ideas?

I have to get this thing moved out of the office through the kitchen and living room and out the front door.

What brand?

GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe disguise it as an ATM??

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jeebus. Here I moved my Liberty safe and my Vestal wood stove by myself. Used a Two wheeler and a couple 2x10’s to ramp them onto my trailer. Couple steps involved, too. Didn’t realized things were so complicated. Got that stove free. Put in a newer, smaller one for a woman when I finished her basement, she told me if I could get “that behemoth” out of her basement, I could have it. Me and my helper carried it up the steps and out of there. Used it for years until the wife decided we needed a stove with a glass door. Hard to see the fire through those cast iron ones. And, per usual, the pretty stove ain’t half the stove the old one is...

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 11/30/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skidding it across the floor is one thing, but actually lifting it from the house and moving it from there is another.

Did this for a neighbor about 15 years ago - huge iron kitchen wood-fired cook stove - exceedingly heavy. Had to et it out of their manufactured home and across the lot into a nice new site-built log cabin.

Got a plate under it (probably heavy plywood) and pushed/rolled it to the front door on pipes under the plate. Backed my 1970 Chev tow truck to the door and ran the boom inside. Placed a cable loop around the stove and winched it up a few inches.

Drove the truck to the new building and backed it to the door - dropped the stove inside and rolled it into place.

Maybe just borrow an old tow truck.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forearm Forklift?
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200055024_200055024?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Material%20Handling%20%3E%20Dollies%20%2B%20Movers%20%3E%20Shoulder%20%2B%20Arm%20Lifts&utm_campaign=Forearm%20Forklift&utm_content=14305&gclid=859072ed054517fe25ff2d28aa149f70&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=859072ed054517fe25ff2d28aa149f70

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Mooner, who are you asking?

Tarkio

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best idea is to return the pellet stove and leave the wood burner where it is.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/30/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Best idea is to return the pellet stove where it is and return the pellet stove.

Can someone translate?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Best idea is to return the pellet stove where it is and return the pellet stove.

Can someone translate?

I'm betting his typing was going faster than his brain?

Leave the woodstove where it is and return the pellet stove.

I had considered a similar answer. When the country goes completely to scheidt I can always go out back and get wood from behind the house. Or burn the furniture legs. I've been told that doesn't work so well in a pellet stove.

Why be beholden to a retailer for your heat?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'd suggest a Piano Dolly:

[Linked Image from honeymanrentall.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.dealerspike.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Can someone translate?

I'm betting his typing was going faster than his brain?

Leave the woodstove where it is and return the pellet stove.

I had considered a similar answer. When the country goes completely to scheidt I can always go out back and get wood from behind the house. Or burn the furniture legs. I've been told that doesn't work so well in a pellet stove.

Why be beholden to a retailer for your heat?

Yep. I corrected it. Return the pellet stove and leave the wood burner where it is.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by J23
The one in my old house weighed in at over 400 lbs. Two of us hauled it in using two 2x4's. We slid two of them beneath the stove upright, similar to a floor joist, then figuring for what we needed as a handle, we cut off the excess... probably ended up around six foot each. We then each got an end, and using the "joists", lifted it and carried it in. Since the joists were no wider than the stove, we walked right through the 32" doorway, though barely.

...hard to explain, but picture two guys hauling the Ark of the Covenant into the house.

Admittedly, we moved in short increments with many breaks. Also, aside from one porch step, we never had to climb stairs.

It takes two strong, young men of similar height to do that with out getting hurt. Good on you.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
I got my gunsafe onto my deck with tractor and boom pole, strap webbing i got from military drmo

French doors open and pipe rolled into my ‘tornado room’

wife almost lost a pinky toe moving our woodstove out of the house, oh well I told her not to wear flip flops

. sheww buddy

No poontang for me, for like 3 weeks

lol

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by J23
The one in my old house weighed in at over 400 lbs. Two of us hauled it in using two 2x4's. We slid two of them beneath the stove upright, similar to a floor joist, then figuring for what we needed as a handle, we cut off the excess... probably ended up around six foot each. We then each got an end, and using the "joists", lifted it and carried it in. Since the joists were no wider than the stove, we walked right through the 32" doorway, though barely.

...hard to explain, but picture two guys hauling the Ark of the Covenant into the house.

Admittedly, we moved in short increments with many breaks. Also, aside from one porch step, we never had to climb stairs.

It takes two strong, young men of similar height to do that with out getting hurt. Good on you.

That's how I did it. We used steel pipe, not 2x4's. Easier to hold on to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Looking to swap our woodstove out for a pellet stove.

Trying to figure out how to get this woodstove moved. The walls are made of soapstone, so the stove Waze somewhere well north of 500 pounds. Sitting on four legs so it’s not really easy to use an appliance dolly.

Ideas?
Four linemen from the local football team... smile smile

My stove weighs 540 pounds.. My son and I moved it in from the back deck and next to its pad (that sits between the dining room/living room) with a hydraulic cart, then set it in place ourselves.. No biggie.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

That's right. Only sissies, or Sister-Boys, would use a pellet stove. Real Men split oak with a Fiskars maul.

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I did go get the thing on a couple flat furniture dollies. Had to use a handiman to pick up one side at a time.

I too have moved a safe with an appliance dolly. Not quite as easy when the stove is a lot lower to the ground. Little harder to get the leverage on something that low.

After moving this sucker, I am guessing it weighs in around #800-#900. When I bought the house, the previous owner claimed it was over 1000#.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by joken2

I'd suggest a Piano Dolly:

[Linked Image from honeymanrentall.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.dealerspike.com]

Those would've been handy. Could even help lifting it up onto a trailer.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

That's right. Only sissies, or Sister-Boys, would use a pellet stove. Real Men split oak with a Fiskars maul.

I would buy you all the beer or whiskey you could drink if you could find oak out here.

That some of the problem. Not much for good wood around here to burn.

Montana MOFO
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.