Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by Springcove
Scared on a plowed road? Laffin.

You really are an idiot.

I understand city slickers can’t tell a plowed road.

Totally understandable

Nevermind

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/01/20.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why do many of you argue with that numbnut?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Was just thinking the same thing, What a waste of skin, and time....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Photo reminds me of Cabbage Hill on I 84 on many winter days. Seven miles of 6% if I remember correctly, it has been a couple years.Highway 95 through Central Id will look like that on many winter mornings, until the plows get to it.

That sure looks like a plow berm on the downhill edge of the road in the original photo.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Remsen
I got stuck a few weeks ago when I was hunting in central Montana. The trails were pretty clear for the most part, but there was one stretch, about a mile long, in a low area that had a ton of drifted snow piled up. I thought I could get through it and was wrong. Buried the truck pretty good and had to abandon it. I had chains with me, but I didn't think the snow was so deep and didn't walk the trail first to check snow depths. By the time I was stuck, it was too late for chains.

After a few other guys helped me to get back to my cabin (and then home), I ordered a set of trac grabbers as well as knock-off maxtrax. The maxtrax and a bit of shovel work got me out in about 5 minutes. I know keep the chains, trac grabbers and maxtrax in the truck at all times in winter and am looking for how to really get stuck next time.

Like I tell my son - if think you might need chains, you should already have them on. Of course I learned that lesson the hard way laugh

Same here. Lesson learned. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

Really?
That is not a plowed road. There isn't much snow but what is there is packed due to vehicles. I can pretty much assure you, areas of that road out of view have the kind of ice that'll make you slip right on your ass if you step out of the vehicle (if you can even stop) if you're not ready for it.

Those conditions suck ass to drive on, both due to sliding off the road and sliding into other vehicles you meet. If I know those are the road conditions I am dealing with I'll take a chained up 4-wheeler, hike in, ride my horse in or just hunt lower country. Those conditions are just asking for issues in a full sized vehicle.

I'm sure you can see that nice uniform bank on the right side of the road with the snowballs. That's from a plow

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

It’s a gravel FS road caldum. Very little if any winter maintenance

I thought you lived out west. I didn’t run into another vehicle other than snowmobiles. Lmao

Last edited by ribka; 12/01/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Photo reminds me of Cabbage Hill on I 84 on many winter days. Seven miles of 6% if I remember correctly, it has been a couple years.Highway 95 through Central Id will look like that on many winter mornings, until the plows get to it.

That sure looks like a plow berm on the downhill edge of the road in the original photo.

I looked a little closer and think you're right....but it had snowed again since that plow went through.
There doesn't look to be a plow berm on the inside side of the road....and that is just a basic USFS mountain road so I am not sure why they would plow it. Maybe there's access to a county road down there or some of the ROW associated with it.
Ribka, are you sure it isn't a timber company road and they're the ones who plowed it? It seems to be an oddly small road to plow.

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/01/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve driven through more snow than that in a minivan..... love that country, but only an idiot would go out there without good tires and chains. There have been many a time I drove my little 2wd Taco past “stuck” 4wd full size pickups on roads like that. Good snow tires are what separates the men from the idiots.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Was just thinking the same thing, What a waste of skin, and time....

I deleted my response to him. He looks to be a Freak Show bandit, where I don't venture too much so I wasn't really aware of his ways....

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I looked a little closer and think you're right....but it had snowed again since that plow went through.

yep.

I have seen hunters with camps do this. Plow it one swipe so they can get back and forth to their camps. Its did snow on it since the guy ran his plow over it.
Originally Posted by ribka

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

It’s a gravel FS road caldum. Very little if any winter maintenance

I thought you lived out west. I didn’t run into another vehicle other than snowmobiles. Lmao

That snow bank didn't make itself. And the FS are not the only ones with plows. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve done cabbage hill in the 80’s where they we sending us down in pairs. That way the didn’t have a big pileup to clean up. That was interesting laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I carry two sets of chains for when SHTF. I tend to turn around or boogy out of dodge before needing them. But if I do, both sets are ready to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don’t get to play in the snow down here. -sniff-

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Studded winter tires are never, not worth it !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Hunting the last few days of Wt deer in N Idaho. Drove up into the mountains where I saw a decent buck a few days ago in a clearcut up top.. Started snowing pretty good in the upper Selkirks. About 2 feet and still coming down hard so decided to head to lower elevations. I took a shorter route through a remote mountain pass. Pretty big pucker factor as did not have the chains along. lol

that why they make 4 low

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hate it when the ages old ranch roads that are worn down 3 feet below the surrounding prairie in NW Texas and the 1 foot of snow is drifted 2 feet deep in the eroded out road. You can be driving along in 4wd and have your skid plate building up snow under the forward moving truck until it builds up enough to the point the truck is sitting on top of it with all 4 wheels spinning - in then worthless granny low.

When that happens late in the evening you thank God for 3/4 tank of gas, a sleeping bag, Pepper Jack crackers, a can of sardines and a can of Vienna's.

PS. It doesnt matter then Rib, if you have chains or not. You can sit there and party all night and the engine heat wont melt an inch of that packed snow you're sitting on to be able to back out, either.

Its walk out the next day if you dont have cell service too. With out coffee.
Now I have a little single burner stove, gas canister, pot and whole small seals new plastic can of Folgers Columbian.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/01/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dutch
I’ve driven through more snow than that in a minivan..... love that country, but only an idiot would go out there without good tires and chains. There have been many a time I drove my little 2wd Taco past “stuck” 4wd full size pickups on roads like that. Good snow tires are what separates the men from the idiots.

Can I get an AMEN!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That road looks great. We got goat trails here and no passing on the trail. Not enough room for 2 vehicles to pass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like snow. Usually pretty fun to drive on.

Ice is another matter entirely. Closest I’ve come to buying the farm was on a mostly clear road coming down the west side of Chelan. Was hardly enough snow to make a snowball except for those tight bends on the north side of the hills. Those were sheets of ice.

My labia was quivering until I hit the hard road. 😆

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 18 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.