Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

My most recent JC Higgins

GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jbabcock,

Your ad features the early variant with the backwards mounted rear sight mounted via a dovetail over the chamber. This I suspect is why Gundoc's measurement exceeds 1.2".

My measurement coming from a later variant with the pedestal mounted sight:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This accounting for the 1/4 lb weight difference in barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine has the rear site like your pic. I much prefer that type, and haven’t ever seen one like the one in the picture I posted.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Mine has the rear site like your pic. I much prefer that type, and haven’t ever seen one like the one in the picture I posted.

I've had a few, all donors! I must have just recently thrown away the last of those takeoff barrels I had. It had an ugly bore for a barrel that is chrome lined.

My Son's 50 is like yours. We even have the original JC Higgins scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty cool rifles. I’ve had quite a few of the Commercial FN’s. Had one of the Heym intermediate actions I should have hung on to. Didn’t realize what it was at the time. Also had a FN Supreme. Couldn’t bring myself to drill and tap that crest. So pretty, so I sold it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r

I've had a few, all donors! I must have just recently thrown away the last of those takeoff barrels I had. It had an ugly bore for a barrel that is chrome lined.

Any M50 stocks getting your way you like to get rid of?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry SuperCub,

The last "spare" I had got repurposed and put on an FN Commercial 270 I acquired cheap because someone stuck it in a really crappy Parker Hale stock. This stock weighed over 3 lbs, the majority being the bedding material used to fill gaps and all manor of other issues.

I did give that stock a Schnabel and it feels good, balances well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
Sorry SuperCub,

The last "spare" I had got repurposed and put on an FN Commercial 270 I acquired cheap because someone stuck it in a really crappy Parker Hale stock. This stock weighed over 3 lbs, the majority being the bedding material used to fill gaps and all manor of other issues.

I did give that stock a Schnabel and it feels good, balances well.

Right on, thanks. I have one here, but it has more holes in than I need plus it looks like it been through a fire. I'll find one. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool rifles. I’ve had quite a few of the Commercial FN’s. Had one of the Heym intermediate actions I should have hung on to. Didn’t realize what it was at the time. Also had a FN Supreme. Couldn’t bring myself to drill and tap that crest. So pretty, so I sold it.

Was that Heym a military-style with clip guide, thumb cut and C-ring?

I picked up one like that in .308. Marked “Made in Germany” on the left side of the receiver ring. Very light, less than 6.5lbs. Stock resembles a 1970 Sako.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/14/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I picked up one like that in .308. Marked “Made in Germany” on the left side of the receiver ring. Very light, less than 6.5lbs. Stock resembles a 1970 Sako.

No, it was a Montgomery Wards rifle I believe. I wish I’d have held onto it. Would have been a great platform for a 7x57 which I’ve always wanted.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by z1r

Any M50 stocks getting your way you like to get rid of?

PM me as I have a few JC Higgins and Montgomery Wards stocks. AS Well as complete rifles

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No, it was a Montgomery Wards rifle I believe. I wish I’d have held onto it. Would have been a great platform for a 7x57 which I’ve always wanted.

I’ve seen those online.

I should have said mine has a military-style action. The rifle is, and always was I believe a sporter, not a conversion. Heym’s post-war history seems a bit muddled. Very nice rifle, and managed to get here all the way from Alaska without any COVID-related damage.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My model 50 in .270 just put 3 shots in 1/2" at 100 yards shooting "classic" load of 130 gr ballistic tips over 60 gr of H48312sc. The JC Higgins Mauser groups better than my .308 Mauser M18.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Man what great guns

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just my humble onion but I consider the J.C. Higgins a much better rifle that the pre 64 Winchester M70. Now you can flame away but that's my opinion from having both types of rifles. The pre 64s have long ago been sold and the M50s are still in the safe.

The only M50 that has ever given me a problem was the .270 I converted to 7x57. I got that one back in the early 1970s, probably 1973. I disliked the cut over the chamber for one thing and every once in a while the rifle would lock up tight and the bolt wouldn't open. I stuck it in the back of the safe and it sat there for years until I used the action for the 7x57. It locked up tight as hell. I'd gotten it as part of a trade and I'm thinking someone shot so hellaciously hot load in that gun causing set back of the locking lug area. It's too nice a rifle to give up on so it's either find a deal on a receiver or strip one from one of my other rifles. It's too bad that brother in law has passed on. I'd love to give him that action back as a sideways suppository.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I just cleaned up my shop preparing for a move, and I have a pile of commercial mauser actions - Browning Safari, Firearms Int'l, JC Higgins, Parker Hale (Brno zg47 action), FN. most still have barrels on them and bottom metal. Also have extra bottom metal and a Blackburn trigger. PM me you are looking for an action or barreled action. Have some takeoff stocks from Parker Hale and JC Higgins too. The Safari is an early 1960's magnum bolt face with the three position side safety and trigger and the engraved floorplate.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a JC Higgins Model 50 30-06 that I put in a Boyds laminate. Dang nice looking gun. The previous owner was a doctor who apparently spent some time with it, as its had the metal refinished in a cerakote or duracote or something, and the trigger, while still the factory 2 piece affair, is pretty darn good for a factory trigger.

I keep going back and forth as to if I should bed the thing, and free float it and use it, or do as I have been and continue to consolidate down to just a 2-3 rifles I am going to use all the time. This is one I cannot make up my mind on. It could be "that one" 30-06, or maybe not, as I have an Ithica/Tikka LSA-65 30-06 as well.

Hard to figure what to do with this Belgian Mauser.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a .270 model. Great rifle. I won two turkey shoots with it. People around claimed it had quite a crack to it when I shot,

Gave it to my son, still in my safe and I use it once in awhile.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.