-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sold it in the late 70s and early 80s when I was an FFA member in HS. Back then it came from Indian River. I wish I could get them now. With juice extractors available these days none of it would go to waste.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ours came from Indian river also.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Our chapter sold a few semi truckloads every winter.

Was a huge money maker for our chapter. I believe I sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 boxes every year. Top seller was over 200 boxes every year.

My daughter is in FFA now and they sell fruit as a money maker also. But the FFA alumni hold a benefit auction and meal every February and that is where they get a bunch of their money to bankroll the program.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grapefruit and oranges for us.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Blood oranges were awesome.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by stxhunter
still have my jacket, doesn't fit anymore.

Me too. Sentinel, stationed by the door.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea what happened to my FFA jacket. Would love to find it. I remember selling magazine subscriptions and getting the prizes. I was a poor salesman and couldn't sell a glass of water to a person dying of thirst. I did manage to win a hunting knife, which I do still have. One of the kids who lived just down the road from me was a dwarf, the family would get mad if you called him a midget, and I guess people either felt sorry for him or else he was a natural born salesman. He sold more magazines than anyone in school, even selling them to people who'd told me no. I know he won a Winchester 94 Comemorative model and a 22 rifle. The family was pretty rough on their guns, and in a few years that Winchester looked like it had come over with the Mayflower.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ditto!

In '70 the President and I (Vice Pres) won State Roberts Rules of Order, and Land Level competition in Nashville. First time I had seen a real buffet, at the Andrew Jackson Hotel, (filched the key, still have that too).

Remember all too well that full pan of bacon at breakfast, the black gentleman who oversaw the buffet, waistcoat, white gloves and all, said yes, I could have all I wanted...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Your in good company Stix. LOL.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They still selling fruit?

We did that 40 years ago... Glad they are still doing that!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Odd, my school had the program before, and after my time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Live in Iowa, wifes a HS teacher unavoidable not to buy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was in FFA every fall we would go out to the local orchard and spend a couple days picking old fruit and then hauling it back to the class room /shop and spend the next week or so making cider. Never had to sell it, people would call the ag teacher and pre-order. We made hundreds of gallons and when we were done making and bottling we would load up the school ag pickup and deliver the cider.

Hey worriedman, I remember my first trip to the national convention in Kansas City. Our Adviser told us that there would be some dressed up ladies standing around our hotel and we were not to talk to them while we were there. He was right, while we were there I got to see some honest to goodness ladies of the night.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
FFA, many memories of the days. I was Sentinel, "Stationed by the door", Your duties there? "Through this door pass many friends of the FFA....blah blah blah.....we also sold fruit, lots and lots of fruit

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
We was "required" to sell 20 boxes a year to get the "FFA Member Lives Here sign". We went to National Convention every year in KC as we was only an hour south. They always had the rodeo going on down by the Kemper Arena area also. Best part was the tobacco companies where always giving out free chew if you was "18". They would ask your age but you never had to prove it. Countless cans of Hawkins came home with us. The good ole days....

Last edited by travis301; 12/02/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every year, our box of oranges tries to run the whole kitchen according to the damned R'sRoO.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Four H, and FFA, on a field trip" laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Learned more real life skills in FFA that all other school combined.

Our instructor was the best gentleman I knew, and he handled all us rough and rowdy boys with aplomb. He never raised his voice, did not have to. The older guys respected him and that got passed on to us younger kids. My senior year he bought a Volkswagen Beetle which he raved about the gas mileage. Being pranksters we started slipping a little gas in the tank, then a little more till he was getting nearly 65 miles per gallon, then we reversed, he was ready to drive back to Memphis to take it in, fussing about that "foreign made piece of crap" when it got down to 10 mpg...we had a Mimosa tree just outside our room, back of the school of course, we put a dolly under the bug and hauled it around and set it in the crotch of the tree the day he was going to go back, the ass whooping we all got was substantial, but worth it.

When he was in the assisted living place decades later we would show up and laugh about that one.

Rowland Rawls, may he rest in peace, we a fine man!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Funny how clothing can hang in a closet and still shrink up. wink

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Texas Ruby Red grapefruits. Delivering them was a bitch. Those sacks were heavy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.