-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was looking at some land in Pendleton County this weekend. Turned down a road that went along the licking river. Counted 11 deer in a 3 mile stretch

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by shaman
If it were me, I'd be starting my camp in Zone 1 of KY, not over in the east. In Zone 1 you can shoot as many antlerless deer as you want.

Everyone in Eastern KY is btchn that they're not seeing any deer. Zone 1 is crawling with deer. My camp is on the Pendleton/Bracken line in SW Bracken County. I've got deer coming up and sticking their heads in the bedroom window. We took 7 deer/3 antlered bucks off 200 acres this year. We could have kept going, but the freezers are going to be filled as it is.

Check out my weblog (link in the sig line).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Parts of the UP get the second highest snow depths east of the Mississippi. The Adirondacks get the highest - ha - Tug Plateau. Do you hunt the east or west Adirondacks?

No matter how good the habitat is snow depth is a deer killer.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Wolves have taken their toll up there. Guys went the whole season without seeing deer this year. Winter can take a bunch out too like in 95-96. Snow can arrive early and you might find 3 feet of the stuff for the opener like happened a few short years ago. Those factors along with competing neighbors bait piles can make it difficult.

However, there is a deer camp culture there. Everyone talks about "going to camp" all year long. Schools are closed for the opener. It's a ritual to visit other camps in the vicinity and share libations. Really old school type deer hunting. If you like big woods with plenty of public land to roam and the possibility of shooting an absolute bruiser, then the UP is for you.

I don't know much about Eastern Kentucky, but my choice would be an easy one.

Man that would suck

If myself or renegade dont see at least 10-12 deer each outing on this little 250 acre homeplace, we feel like we’ve had a shît morning.

Had a morning Saturday, I only seen 3 deer. frown

But my nephew 700 yards away in another hollow, seen 16 deer shocked

renegade was 800 yards away from him and seen 4 and a yote.

lol

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by skeen
Wisconsin. whistle

That would be my first choice but their season is too close to Thanksgiving. I have a wife and kids and can't skip holidays.

IC B2

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by OldHat
Parts of the UP get the second highest snow depths east of the Mississippi. The Adirondacks get the highest - ha - Tug Plateau. Do you hunt the east or west Adirondacks?

I hunt the Eastern Adirondacks so the snow is not as deep. Vermont and the Eastern ADKs get plenty of snow though. The Adirondacks have very little oak (none that I can find) and almost no agriculture where I hunt. As a result, they live off of forbs and browse. That limits them too. The coyotes take their toll as well.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by OldHat

I hunt the Eastern Adirondacks so the snow is not as deep. Vermont and the Eastern ADKs get plenty of snow though. The Adirondacks have very little oak (none that I can find) and almost no agriculture where I hunt. As a result, they live off of forbs and browse. That limits them too. The coyotes take their toll as well.

No wolves? Not even coming in from Canada?

MN, WI and UP of MI have healthy wolf populations and Cougars as well.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
There have been a couple wolves found in Vermont, I believe. I haven't heard of them in the ADKs. Coyotes around here can be over 60 pounds, though and hunt in groups. The kill a lot of deer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd prefer central KY, but would still take eastern KY over MI.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I live in Michigan's lower peninsula, less than 10 miles from the bridge that separates the lower peninsula from the upper, and while I really enjoy the UP, the deer hunting has taken a giant shhitt in recent years. Too many woofs, from what I hear.

Not sure what the deer hunting in Eastern KY is like, but the UP wouldn't be very high on my list if successful hunting is a priority.

Me and this guy are apparently neighbors as i live 5 miles from the bridge. Most of my family is from the N western UP and oddly enough I have family in eastern Ky as well. Bloody Breathett to be exact and here is my 2c.

The hunting is better in KY BUT...the terrain is tough and there are poisonous serpents to contend with in warm years. You also are dealing with a culture of people who don't like to [bleep] with and don't like outsiders so be aware where you wander if you catch my drift.

The UP is absolutely beautiful...imho Northern Michigan as a whole is the most beautiful area in the lower 48. The hunting pressure is very very low and you have access to trophy black bear as well every couple years (i draw 1st hunt generally every 3 years in unit 009). On to the deer hunting. We generally get some decent bucks at camp every year BUT...the UP is NOT trophy deer country. There are a ton of wolves and they have taken their toll but to be perfectly honest it wasn't great before the wolves showed up. There is just not much food for the deer and you get over 200 inches of snow to boot so a big snow year lowers numbers big time. Make no mistake though...there are decent bucks.

If I were to sum it up...if you want the true camp wilderness experience with serious life threatening weather and a true awesome experience go to the UP. If you want bigger deer and warm weather go to the bluegrass state.

One more important factor. Women here in N. Michigan are some of the ugliest in the nation. KY is the best of the best in this regard IMHO.

If you like to bed fat women...N Michigan is for you. They are always in heat it seems

GOD Bless America
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
I've hunted in Delta county several times and saw lots of deer . It has a lot of family farms and the pastures and fields are usually loaded with deer in the evenings. Two years ago my son and i were up in Oct and took a ride in the early evening and counted over 100 deer in pastures and fields driving down county rd 13 in the Stonington pennsula.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Like several others have said, if you want the "experience" of deer camp as much as the venison, go to the UP.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
I've hunted in Delta county several times and saw lots of deer . It has a lot of family farms and the pastures and fields are usually loaded with deer in the evenings. Two years ago my son and i were up in Oct and took a ride in the early evening and counted over 100 deer in pastures and fields driving down county rd 13 in the Stonington pennsula.

I hunt the Delta/Menominee county line basically - at one time deer outnumbered people 5 to 1 in Menominee county. Was something I always heard.

Back in the day - was nothing to see 100 deer in a field like you said. Now 35-50 is a good look see. The interesting thing is you'll go out and see 5 to 10 fields like that, not just one.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can't speak for Michigan but for the past several seasons I have hunted Western KY in the LBL area around Cadiz. Deer population is outstanding, I've seen more deer there in one day than in any other area that I've hunted. Never came home empty handed, last season I harvested my buck and doe in the same day. KY allows NR hunters one antlered buck and two does. If I go this fall I intend to take the two does allowed.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
was looking at some land in Pendleton County this weekend. Turned down a road that went along the licking river. Counted 11 deer in a 3 mile stretch

Damn, I gotta find some better places to hunt. I am in the foothills and you wont see 11 deer down here all year. A normal year is catching two or three nocturnal does and a single buck on a trail cam.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We probably use our "deer camp" 3 or 4x more outside of deer season than in.

It's a great base of operations for the UP - world class smallmouth and walleye fishing in Little Bay de Noc, great pike in the Hiawatha National forest lakes, skiing, there's hundreds if not thousands of miles of ATV/UTV/Snowmobile trails and most every place in the UP allows them all on the "right of way" for roads. Can get anywhere you like.

And actually - there's some fine golf in the UP too for summer pursuits that don't involve killing or rippin lips.

Me

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N

It truly is GOD'S country

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I live in Michigan's lower peninsula, less than 10 miles from the bridge that separates the lower peninsula from the upper, and while I really enjoy the UP, the deer hunting has taken a giant shhitt in recent years. Too many woofs, from what I hear.

Not sure what the deer hunting in Eastern KY is like, but the UP wouldn't be very high on my list if successful hunting is a priority.

Me and this guy are apparently neighbors as i live 5 miles from the bridge. Most of my family is from the N western UP and oddly enough I have family in eastern Ky as well. Bloody Breathett to be exact and here is my 2c.

The hunting is better in KY BUT...the terrain is tough and there are poisonous serpents to contend with in warm years. You also are dealing with a culture of people who don't like to [bleep] with and don't like outsiders so be aware where you wander if you catch my drift.

The UP is absolutely beautiful...imho Northern Michigan as a whole is the most beautiful area in the lower 48. The hunting pressure is very very low and you have access to trophy black bear as well every couple years (i draw 1st hunt generally every 3 years in unit 009). On to the deer hunting. We generally get some decent bucks at camp every year BUT...the UP is NOT trophy deer country. There are a ton of wolves and they have taken their toll but to be perfectly honest it wasn't great before the wolves showed up. There is just not much food for the deer and you get over 200 inches of snow to boot so a big snow year lowers numbers big time. Make no mistake though...there are decent bucks.

If I were to sum it up...if you want the true camp wilderness experience with serious life threatening weather and a true awesome experience go to the UP. If you want bigger deer and warm weather go to the bluegrass state.

One more important factor. Women here in N. Michigan are some of the ugliest in the nation. KY is the best of the best in this regard IMHO.

If you like to bed fat women...N Michigan is for you. They are always in heat it seems

Don't be dissing the snow cows, they'll keep you warm on a cold winter's night. That's IF you can afford to feed em.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No deer in Eastern KY ....especially South Eastern KY....I would try Western Ky or TN.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I lived in the UP for 20 years. The deer hunting is worse than terrible and rifle season is over ran with people.
You also have to understand that one early november snow storm can push the deer 50 miles away and you wont see a single thing during rifle season.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,792
Posts18,516,087
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.