Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Considering
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15489179#Post15489179

and inflation, I suspect that powder prices isn't much worse then when I bought this H322.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Hodgdon doesn't control the distribution of the powders. They control their brands. There is no barrier to getting into the powder business other than market forces outside Hodgdon's business. A year ago, you could have called up General Dynamics or BEA/NRE or one of the foreign plants and for the right amount of money gotten a contract for them to supply powder for your new brand. Get yourself a hazmat shipping certification from the DOT and build a packing plant where you receive the powder and pack it into bottles for UPS trucks to ship out. Open up your online storefront for powderpuff.com and start selling to reloaders in the 48.

Anyone that dared to do that would probably find out that selling new powders is hard because reloaders are brand-loyal, curmudgeonly, and that you don't really have anything to motivate them to work up new loads for your powders that do the same thing as the ones they've always bought. You'd also find the margins are poor. So if you did manage to gain a following through extensive marketing and advertising effort, your business would still be threadbare. Then if Vista Outdoors or Hodgdon came along with a good offer, you'd probably jump at it to get out.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
^^^^^This.

Sounds like some new company I've seen advertised? Shooter's World or some such.

I've been thinking about trying some of theirs, haven't seen any locally though.

Valsdad,

Shooters World is the retail version of powders offered by Explosia, who makes Lovex powders.

Many are identical to Accurate Arms powders. As an example Shooters World Auto Pistol is identical to AA #5.

This "New Company's" been making powder for 100 years. I discovered them when all this recent craziness hit, and so far, I've been very happy with the results, especially at $10 per pound less then Hodgdon's powders.

Many of their "tactical" ball powders are flash suppressed, so you get a nice flowing powder without the fireball.

Right now, they are the best value out there, and I suggest considering them for any new load development.

As much as I appreciate all Hodgdon's done for the shooting industry, when reasonable, I plan to support the underdog so we can all benefit from a more competitive environment. If more people had supported Western Powers while they were independent maybe they could of found a buyer other than Hodgdons.

Thanks for the info on your use of their powders A_S.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Hodgdon doesn't control the distribution of the powders. They control their brands. There is no barrier to getting into the powder business other than market forces outside Hodgdon's business. A year ago, you could have called up General Dynamics or BEA/NRE or one of the foreign plants and for the right amount of money gotten a contract for them to supply powder for your new brand. Get yourself a hazmat shipping certification from the DOT and build a packing plant where you receive the powder and pack it into bottles for UPS trucks to ship out. Open up your online storefront for powderpuff.com and start selling to reloaders in the 48.

Anyone that dared to do that would probably find out that selling new powders is hard because reloaders are brand-loyal, curmudgeonly, and that you don't really have anything to motivate them to work up new loads for your powders that do the same thing as the ones they've always bought. You'd also find the margins are poor. So if you did manage to gain a following through extensive marketing and advertising effort, your business would still be threadbare. Then if Vista Outdoors or Hodgdon came along with a good offer, you'd probably jump at it to get out.

I believe you just made the case that Hodgdon does in fact now largely have monopolistic control of the market. While they may not have a true lock on distribution, the high barriers to entry that you point out create the defacto monopoly. Additionally, I suspect Hodgdon likely has an exclusive agreement for marketing some of their powders.

If Hodgdon takes the lead on some modest price increases, I suspect Alliant and Shooters World will not object to participating.

405wcf

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This will interest the Canadians. With Hodgdon's acquisition of Accurate, Higginson Powders will be the CDN distributor.

I contacted Andrew Higginson a few weeks ago, and received this, dated 30 Nov 20.

...with regards to Accurate & Ramshot powders, we just received information from Hodgdon this morning. We expect to see some arrive late winter early spring, some types are not yet approved for Canada and our import permits will have to be updated. As soon as we receive any of these types, our price list will be updated.

For Canadians, this is good news. Higginson is a long time distributor of Hodgdon powder up here. From their website,

FROM 1898 GEORGE OWEN HIGGINSON MANUFACTURED BUILDERS LIME AND DISTRIBUTED EXPLOSIVES TO 1952. FROM 1952 THOMAS TWEED HIGGINSON DISTRIBUTED 2.2 MILLION POUNDS OF EXPLOSIVES PER YEAR. AS WELL AS THE FIRST CANADIAN DISTRIBUTOR OF NOBEL POWDERS AND OVER 40 YEARS DISTRIBUTING HODGDON POWDERS AND HORNADY BULLETS ACROSS CANADA.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another comment, with some more details on how Western Powders became a pretty sizeable player in the powder biz:

The company was originally formed as a family company distributor of blasting powders/dynamite for mining. The family eventually got into distributing reloading powders. and was already distributing Hodgdon and IMR powders (which were then separate companies) in 2000 when they decided to distribute "Ramshot" powders, which they bought from Belgium and St. Marks in Florida.

For a relaively small company, they were pretty sharp about promotiion. They invited a few gun writers to try some (especially the Belgian powders) on a prairie dog shoot/factory tour, but unlike bigger companies couldn't pay travel expenses. But they would provide all expenses once the writers got to Miles City, and provide handloaded ammo for the PD shoot. As a result, all the writers who attended lived pretty close to Miles City--including me, as it's about a 6-hour drive.

The handloaded ammo worked very well, and I picked up samples of the powder while there. After testing it thoroughly over the next year (including shooting various handloads at both "normal" temperatures and at zero Fahrenheit), I started writing about it. The three Belgian powders then available were TAC, Big Game and Magnum (oigiinally called Big Boy, a mistake since it was too close to Big Game). They changed the name that year, and all three powders turned out to be very clean-burning (not exactly normal for spherical powders at the time) but pretty temperature-stable (VERY unusual for spherical powders at the time). So I started using them for more hunting, which eventually included animals from prairie dogs to moose, and reported on my results.

Several other writers did as well, and soon they started selling pretty well--enough that Western could pay ALL expenses for more writers to attend the annual PD shoot. They also started expanding their pressure-testing lab, to the point where they did testing for some other companies, including a major bullet manufacturer. They also acquired the rights to the Accurate Arms name, and started having those powders made to their specs.

But it took 20 years (and a major financial investment) to build the business up to the point where Hodgdon became interested enough to acquire Western Powders--which evidently includes not just the powder distribution facility but the pressure lab.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as to whether reloaders will try new powders.... when i started reloading, there was hercules for pistol and shotgun powders; and dupont , with imr. that's what was on the shelf. there was alcan but i never saw any. there also was a little company called hodgdon, who repackaged surplus powder. it was in cans then.

if you open a new reloading manual and compare it to the lyman 44 manual i started with, you will see that there are quite a few 'new' powders which have developed a following.

not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

Have you done any testing on the Shooters World powders? Burn rate comparison, temperature stability, etc? Would love to read your results.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got a supply in maybe 6 months ago, and per my usual practice try them when their data indicates they might be a top choice for a certain cartridge/bullet combination. Consequently have only tried a few--and haven't had the opportunity to do any serious temperature testing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks John.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks from me, as well. Just in case I were to ever come across any Shooters World powders it would be nice to have some info or load data concerning that.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Thanks from me, as well. Just in case I were to ever come across any Shooters World powders it would be nice to have some info or load data concerning that.

Google it.
They have good data on their website.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,295
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.