Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by szihn
Wow, I wish my 10 shot that well.

Mine shoots well enough for what I use it for.

Was dialing in scope, and last three confirmed I was where I needed to be. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rock,

Next couple of times out, do that with your first three and you'll know you have something.

I sight in the right way. Barrel cooling and alla that.

I'm pretty sure where the first shot is going.

But now and then I just have to check to satisfy myself... grin

Yep. Still spot on! smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Minute of coyote. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What manufacturer's barrel did you use?

Brian

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just can't quite deal with campfire anymore, so no pictures etc..

But FWIW 3 inch white diamond caught 5 rounds from the Creedmoor bolt gun yesterday. Sig BDX. One each at appx 100 200 300 400 and 500. Thats probably better than any 10 shot group to just go click range and use dot that pops up in scope and bang. Probably could have done better with good rests too rather than field expedient.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495

But FWIW 3 inch white diamond caught 5 rounds from the Creedmoor bolt gun yesterday. Sig BDX. One each at appx 100 200 300 400 and 500. Thats probably better than any 10 shot group to just go click range and use dot that pops up in scope and bang. Probably could have done better with good rests too rather than field expedient.

Jeff,

I really like that test. I do something similar for hunting prep, but I'm looking for consecutive sub-moa 3 groups at each of those ranges. I always felt it would be a good competition, but the logistics might be a bit challenging.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rost495

Jeff,

I really like that test. I do something similar for hunting prep, but I'm looking for consecutive sub-moa 3 groups at each of those ranges. I always felt it would be a good competition, but the logistics might be a bit challenging.

I'm not nearly confident in it yet but only had time for a quick ride around in the mule that day. But I'm pretty sure the gun is sub moa from previous indications. 6.5 is new to me so I don't have hardly any bullets for it. If it was .224....

Anyway I think I"m going to work on some better rests. I had plans this winter while I"m off build my 400-600 yard benches instead of dragging a portable around. So maybe thats next. And while I'm at that I think if I can basically repeat the 5 shot groups centered up for the most part of course ignoring the wind so to speak, that will say as much as anything if first round cold bore shots fall inside of 3 inches from 100 to 500. Hopefully I can get it to fall there out to 600. the 600 was off a bit for elevation once I finally got that round fired. But it could take a bit of program tweaking to get the drop right. IIRC what the rangefinder was indication as the solution was about an MOA less than I had thought it should be so....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So its been a bit now. I've shot this combo every week and weekend. Getting more confident in it all the time.

Before I slipped and fell and landed on the gun, requiring quite a bit of re zero work in high winds.... I'd shot it to almost 600 probably 15 times. Lets say from about 380 to 590 or so. In that time, disregarding the wind, the binocs/scope and phone ap working, I was never more than about 2.5 inches off the aiming point.

I had to make a different target around 500 plus was getting some vertical that was not repeatable and could not see well enough on 10X. Got that ironed out and no I'm not going to waste 10-20 rounds to prove a point. I'd rather shoot 1-2 each time out.

So far the biggest 2 shot group I"ve had out at almost 600 has been a rough 3 inches.

The fall had some weird issues getting zero back and I was not fully confident at much past 550. Not so much elevation, but wind was really tricky and I was not totally sure I had the windage back to zero. And it was windage that was off the most from the fall. Last group right at 600 was a pair at about 2.25 inches.

Finally found one of our cull target bucks back Sunday morning. Winds up to 20 in gusts, steady at least 12. Twitchy. I'd set up luckily mostly a head wind to 2 o'clock. Of course the 2 o'clock part could kill me. If I didn't see it. And I was by myself Carolyn slept in. So no one to toss grass in the air to verify direction. Tiger and I did our best. After an hour of trying to keep on the right buck amongst about 5 that are similar, we had a chance where the trigger actually broke. 455 yards. Had a small window between feeder legs etc.... but its where he stopped and I thought if I hit a leg on a feeder it would have been a bad hit on him anyway so lets thread the needle.

Wind call ends up at about 9 inches of drift. Bullet could not have missed my general aim spot more than 2 inches if it even missed that much.

went through both lungs and top of heart.

I'm much more convinced that shooting a shot or two and using a composite target is a better way to zero.

I won't ever argue that multiple shot groups are also one of the best ways to prove what the gun is capable of. But I've never cared much what others want its gotta make me happy as to whatever size that is.

Liking this new combo on Carolyns gun so much may have to splurge for the higher X and take on 600 to 800 yard deer next year. Could put this 3-10 on my 338-06 guide gun and use it there.

now back to the thermal scope issue. And pray thats well spent and that libs don't block suppressors cause next winter is probably going to be order more of them. The lil Glock 44 is just IDEAL for that. New barrel and a small can rated for 22 LR only IE small and light and it will be primo camp gun for grouse. Especially if 22 ammo comes around again and I can get more of the prefragmented 710 FPS stuff from CCI.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ain't much worth it these days around here. And I'm not a show and tell type of person much. I don't much see the use of it.

BUT I'll ad to the above post. Fired 2 more rounds this morning.

One at 779 in a 10ish mph 1/2 value wind. Inch or two into the wind and 4 inches high.

One at 1030 in around a 12ish MPH wind full value cross at the time of the shot. Impact was 12 inches downwind and 10 inches low.

For a gun that is probably not really much better than solidly MOA the sig system is working well.

And I"m much more enamored of first round hits on the money or really close on further out there than a 10 round group at 100. Though both are pretty. And I'm almost capable of putting together 10 rounds into a half way decent group at times too.

But I am still kinda digging all this shooting with optics these recent days. Though I truly loved irons way out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
shoot that gun with about 5 more groups before you call it .5 moa anything. AR's are notorious for shooting a good group here and there, then do a 1.25 inch group for the next one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had an AR that did that. But then again I assemble most of ours so no reason for it to do that.

And there is a bit of tongue in cheek in that post.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ll bump this thread up

I bought 2 boxes of 7.62x51 (WWB) today, has anyone shot that stuff before? I will be using it in an M1a.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 16 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.